The better place to talk football.

Harry Maguire - Manchester United Sign Leicester Defender For World-Record Fee

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
14 minutes ago, MUFC said:

About time somebody called this sack of shit out.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/solskjaer-urged-ditch-harry-maguire-man-utd

Take the captains armband off him first then see if he improves, might be too much responsibility as a captain making him shite, I can't see that happening though as he is one of Ole's little Blue Eyed Boys. :coffee:

• Subscriber

Yeah we were so right. He's not bad but he was never worth even close to what you paid, I'm not convinced he's worth half to be honest. I think the bleakest look for Man Utd signing him, and Chelsea signing Chilwell, is we've taken in £130mil for those pair and our defence is the best position in our team still.

It’s just always been so bizarre. 

He's always been so obviously a pretty decent upper-mid-table CB, already in his prime. It’s hard to wrap your head around what made United so desperate to buy him, when they could have their pick of almost any CB in Europe. 

Apart from the whole “Prem experience” angle, which I didn’t believe any elite club actually took seriously. 

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

It’s just always been so bizarre. 

He's always been so obviously a pretty decent upper-mid-table CB, already in his prime. It’s hard to wrap your head around what made United so desperate to buy him, when they could have their pick of almost any CB in Europe. 

Apart from the whole “Prem experience” angle, which I didn’t believe any elite club actually took seriously. 

It was his dribbling stats off of the back of a good World Cup and a decent season at Leicester where he didn’t do anything to ruin his reputation. He was just a good defender who was highlighted as being good in possession and driving the ball forward.

Massively overpaid for and I think everyone in the world saw that straight away. United got Maguire and Liverpool got Van Dijk.

I think United must have been after a defender with profile and Maguire’s stock was at its highest point, but I just don’t think he’s ever been good enough to start for United. A good back-up option no doubt if they want to compete with Liverpool and City.

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, Danny said:

It was his dribbling stats off of the back of a good World Cup and a decent season at Leicester where he didn’t do anything to ruin his reputation. He was just a good defender who was highlighted as being good in possession and driving the ball forward.

Massively overpaid for and I think everyone in the world saw that straight away. United got Maguire and Liverpool got Van Dijk.

I think United must have been after a defender with profile and Maguire’s stock was at its highest point, but I just don’t think he’s ever been good enough to start for United. A good back-up option no doubt if they want to compete with Liverpool and City.

He wasn't even that good that season. He was better in his first year for us, had a couple of good games at the World Cup and went off a little bit in the second season. I was genuinely not that concerned about how big a loss he'd be to us, which is crazy for somebody of that fee.

16 hours ago, Dan said:

Yeah we were so right. He's not bad but he was never worth even close to what you paid, I'm not convinced he's worth half to be honest. I think the bleakest look for Man Utd signing him, and Chelsea signing Chilwell, is we've taken in £130mil for those pair and our defence is the best position in our team still.

I'm not convinced he was worth a 3rd to be fair. Would I taka a chance on him at united for say, 25 mil? Likely.

30+ you'd be needing to blow me at the bargaining table,

40? Dreaming. 

United paid 95 hahahahahahahaha

22 hours ago, Danny said:

This is the answer for me as well as in that's what they were shooting for, but was Maguire that high profile internationally? He was a bit of a meme figure in England with the slabhead thing, but I can't imagine he was particularly well regarded beyond these shores.

I think it has something to do with him being a "ball playing defender" which "England don't usually produce" as well which has led to people overrating him quite a bit

2 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

This is the answer for me as well as in that's what they were shooting for, but was Maguire that high profile internationally? He was a bit of a meme figure in England with the slabhead thing, but I can't imagine he was particularly well regarded beyond these shores.

I think it has something to do with him being a "ball playing defender" which "England don't usually produce" as well which has led to people overrating him quite a bit

Yeah like I said his ability to run the ball out is something Ole spoke about specifically

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

Read the match threads on here of England's group games. He was getting a bit of a slaughtering on here if I remember rightly. There was a lot of revisionism about that World Cup, he struggled early doors, grew into it and obviously against Sweden he had a great game, but I think it's a good example of how a World Cup in the grand scheme can really skew perceptions.

21 minutes ago, Dan said:

Read the match threads on here of England's group games. He was getting a bit of a slaughtering on here if I remember rightly. There was a lot of revisionism about that World Cup, he struggled early doors, grew into it and obviously against Sweden he had a great game, but I think it's a good example of how a World Cup in the grand scheme can really skew perceptions.

Me particularly in his first and/or second game, kept giving the ball away. But I think that was passing and I don’t think he’s actually a bad passer of the ball in terms of retention of possession

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Danny said:

Me particularly in his first and/or second game, kept giving the ball away. But I think that was passing and I don’t think he’s actually a bad passer of the ball in terms of retention of possession

He is a decent passer and he will always look to play one rather than hoofing it aimlessly. I do think he's vulnerable to being caught out with his runs from the back though. He's not really got any pace to compensate for it.

It was that, as well as some of his positioning, particularly at set pieces at times - that Everton one last week was a prime example of the kind of thing that put me off him a bit at Leicester. A good defender on the whole, but would I trade Soyuncu to have him back? Personally no. Would I trade Fofana for him back? Again, no.

• 11 months later...

I don't miss Teso one bit but this is gold

The addition of awb, james, and Maguire is finally making sense. They will get to be around the start of the this new era for man utd that will help them reach their top potential and bring stability. If liverpool could be that close to finally ending the drought and winning the CL with Hendo,salah, TAA, Firmino, and milner....the thought of what Rashford, Martial, Pogba, maguire and AWB will achieve literally gave me goosebumps. 

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

I don't miss Teso one bit but this is gold

The addition of awb, james, and Maguire is finally making sense. They will get to be around the start of the this new era for man utd that will help them reach their top potential and bring stability. If liverpool could be that close to finally ending the drought and winning the CL with Hendo,salah, TAA, Firmino, and milner....the thought of what Rashford, Martial, Pogba, maguire and AWB will achieve literally gave me goosebumps. 

Aged like a saucer of milk xD

Archived