• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Maguire - Manchester United Sign Leicester Defender For World-Record Fee

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
10 minutes ago, Dan said:

By the way, if we go and buy Dunk for £45mil, we are equally as stupid.

We don't even need a CB as a priority.

The £80m can go towards covering Perez/Tielemans costs and we can still invest elsewhere in the squad.

• Subscriber

Someone should go for Ake but the problem is he will probably go for £50m or more himself.

Leicester will also face the problem of team's knowing they've just got a fuck ton of money for Maguire and it'll be "well if you got £80m for him we should be able to get £60m for this player".

Shopping within the Premier League for replacements is actually madness. There are very decent players in European leagues who still go for £30m or so and are only slightly less proven.

• Subscriber

I am a bit worried we're not looking abroad as much as we should be. There's a lack of value in this league on a scale different to how it's ever been. We've fleeced someone else for doing just that, don't go and fall into someone else's version of that exact trap.

If we pay money like that for Dunk, we are mental. He's 28 this year and pays in a side with a different style to us. At least Ake is younger, better and more suited to a Rodgers side. Dunk just makes no sense to me.

I know it could bite us but I really would consider just going with the two we bought last year. They're exactly the kind of profile we'd be buzzing to sign this summer.

Invest the money in a quality attacking player. I like the idea of Perez but not as our main attacking signing. I reckon we've got another up our sleeves. I'm hoping for Thauvin or Sarr.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Someone should go for Ake but the problem is he will probably go for £50m or more himself.

Leicester will also face the problem of team's knowing they've just got a fuck ton of money for Maguire and it'll be "well if you got £80m for him we should be able to get £60m for this player".

Shopping within the Premier League for replacements is actually madness. There are very decent players in European leagues who still go for £30m or so and are only slightly less proven.

It was @Inverted who made the point which is utterly spot on, that the issue is adapting to the team more than the league itself. The league is irrelevant - if the player fits Leicester and they improve our team, they will be fine here.

Example I've got here is Malang Sarr. Very highly touted young centre half who plays for Nice. He is stylistically the type we could go for here. There is every possibility he has less adapting to do than Lewis Dunk does.

I don't want to slate Dunk too much because he's not shit enough to be ridiculed but it's the same as Maguire - simply over-priced for what you get. Premier League clubs, and the fans, in my opinion place far too big an emphasis on things like Premier League experience. It isn't a bad thing to have at all, but it isn't worth what you pay for it.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Think we have been quoted £30m

Well that's a fucker, because we should be straight over that if so, but if you've been quoted that then we've simply got no chance.

3 minutes ago, Dan said:

Well that's a fucker, because we should be straight over that if so, but if you've been quoted that then we've simply got no chance.

Not sure how much we want him, think he's down the list tbh so someone else could get him while we are fucking about 

• Subscriber
46 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Scandalous price tag, it will be even more laughable when United finish 5th

Optimistic.

44 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Not sure how much we want him, think he's down the list tbh so someone else could get him while we are fucking about 

If we got Ake in for Maguire whilst making fifty million then that's some of the best business I think I've ever seen us do, and I've seen us buy Vardy and Mahrez for about £1.5mil combined.

• Subscriber

Telegraph (far more reliable than the likes of the Sun) are saying there's been nothing really happen yet. They make it sound a lot less like there will be anything.

I can deal with that as well. Maguire staying isn't a bad thing at all either.

Bet Hull fans are a bit sick if this doesn't go through. They stand to bag a decent amount from this.

He is overpriced without doubt but as someone posted earlier he is an upgrade on what we have and with AWB the back 4 is already in better shape than last season .

It ain't my money so I'm not too fussy what they spend and in todays market there is no guidelines for prices anymore

I just want to see us improve and this helps

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

And yet, a superior defender in Toby Alderweireld is available literally 55 million less. 

Trust the process 

Madness ain't it.

• Subscriber

Percy's now confirmed he's told LCFC of his desire to leave. We still need to stand firm on an asking price but I do want him sold now for definite. There's a lot of good that can come from this deal.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Quote.thumb.png.27d0069ebcbdffc796f16932f5b1e68b.png

Leicester have promised England centre-back Harry Maguire, 26, he can leave if Manchester United or Manchester City eclipse the £75m Liverpool paid for Virgil van Dijk and set a new world-record fee for a defender. (Telegraph)

United will be the ones to cough that up. Madness when earlier in the thread Toby was said to be a good option too. 

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.5760cd68afc0b46be07fd6e7f834b262.png

Manchester United have finally agreed to terms on signing Leicester City and England defender Harry Maguire. The 26-year-old will arrive at Old Trafford in an £80m deal. (Bleacher Report)

Manchester City is still interested in signing Maguire but they would need to offload defenders Nicolas Otamendi, 31, and Eliaquim Mangala, 28, to fund the transfer. (Mirror)

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Nothing's happened xD 

Media buddy, saying things hoping they get it right first, David De Gea was supposed to  have signed a new contract, that was a few days ago, nothing on the official site yet xD 

• Subscriber

The media have been absolutely pathetic about this from day one, Sky Sports above all others, nothing but absolute disrespect right from the word go to the point I don't think they realise they're even doing it. They've manufactured a good 80% of this whole 'saga' for precisely that reason, so they can call it a 'saga', it's one giant self-fulfilling prophecy but that's what Sky are about - superficial nonsense.

The sooner Sky's grip on English football gets loosened the better. They've declined significantly in the last five years - once just about the most reliable news source going for football. Now they just pander to the bottom of the barrel idiots. Absolute garbage.

Manchester United should pay £60million for Maguire and Sky should pay the other £20million, that way everybody gets what they want.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Dan said:

The media have been absolutely pathetic about this from day one, Sky Sports above all others, nothing but absolute disrespect right from the word go to the point I don't think they realise they're even doing it. They've manufactured a good 80% of this whole 'saga' for precisely that reason, so they can call it a 'saga', it's one giant self-fulfilling prophecy but that's what Sky are about - superficial nonsense.

The sooner Sky's grip on English football gets loosened the better. They've declined significantly in the last five years - once just about the most reliable news source going for football. Now they just pander to the bottom of the barrel idiots. Absolute garbage.

Manchester United should pay £60million for Maguire and Sky should pay the other £20million, that way everybody gets what they want.

I'm pretty sure they do this shit on purpose now as well...

xD 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'm pretty sure they do this shit on purpose now as well...

xD 

It's astounding how hypocritical they are.

We're always painted as the bad guys in the media as well. I love it in a way.

• The title was changed to Harry Maguire - Manchester United Sign Leicester Defender For World-Record Fee

Archived