talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Maguire - Manchester United Sign Leicester Defender For World-Record Fee

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

I'm pretty sure they do this shit on purpose now as well...

xD 

1 hour ago, Dan said:

It's astounding how hypocritical they are.

We're always painted as the bad guys in the media as well. I love it in a way.

They're absolutely embarrassing aren't they. How dare anyone outside their chosen six try to hold onto their best players? The number of Everton players they've tried to sell to Man Utd and Chelsea over the years has made me numb to it. Fellaini, Lescott, Baines, Barkley, Lukaku, Gueye. They started warming themselves up with Richarlison last season so expect that to start hitting top gear next summer. Even when we and Andre Gomes both started making it known we would want to make his move permanent towards the end of last season, Sky Sports and some of the newspapers were all "oh no, we can't have that, quick let's start fabricating some links with Spurs to see if we can move him there".

They are flat out disrespectful to the rest of the league. Take Zaha, Vardy, Maguire, it's just assumed that when they reach a certain level they can talk about "which one of the top six clubs will they join" completely skipping out the "does this player want to move to a top six club this window" question as if it's just taken as read, totally disregarding whether the selling club might have a say in the matter or might feel that they can convince their key players that there's still plenty they can achieve where they are.

It's the same the further you go down, e.g. when they try and sell top Championship players to whichever they decide is the most appropriate destination of Wolves, Everton, Leicester or West Ham, but as soon as the "big" clubs get involved that's where they commit the majority of their air time to it.

I'm personally numb to it like I said but I'm sure it'll start to piss me off again if Digne or Richarlison or both have a season as good as last and the journalists start falling over each other to decide whether they should join Arsenal or Manchester United. I totally see where you're coming from and I think there's a painful ignorance of this from most football fans until it happens to their own club, and it happens most to those teams in the middle third of the Premier League.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tbh I think the media want him away from Rodgers, as he's a defender for the national team, and the media always loves a big English signing coming to a big English club because it means they'll either get to write puff pieces about the player if they turn out good after the move & they get to mercilessly slate him if he's a flop.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbh I think the media want him away from Rodgers, as he's a defender for the national team, and the media always loves a big English signing coming to a big English club because it means they'll either get to write puff pieces about the player if they turn out good after the move & they get to mercilessly slate him if he's a flop.

That's also true, apart from maybe the first bit, because if they think Rodgers will make Maguire shit they'd love that as another excuse to slate the pair of them.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

That's also true, apart from maybe the first bit, because if they think Rodgers will make Maguire shit they'd love that as another excuse to slate the pair of them.

I don't think the media likes slating Rodgers, tbh. He got away with murder for us for a while, despite clearly losing the plot and he had plenty of backers in the media. Granted, they were never the shield for the manager with him at the helm for us like they were for Hodgson - the media were rabid defenders of Hodgson's time at Liverpool until he finally got the sack. But I think if you're British and at a big club, they'll back you even if you're well out of your depth - see Tim Sherwood at Spurs as another example. It wasn't until after he left Spurs that the "Tactics Tim" memes really kicked in.

But I think the media wants Maguire as well as he can for the national team as possible, but if he does end up flopping (if he moves to one of the Manchester clubs) they'll be ready and willing to shite all over him.

• Subscriber

Surely they'd rather him be with Rodgers than Solskjaer. I could understand Pep or Klopp but Solskjaer, without a doubt is poorer than Rodgers.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

xD

I don't get how it's even a debate. Solskjaer's CV would have him in charge of Reading. It's pure chance he's in that job.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dan said:

I don't get how it's even a debate. Solskjaer's CV would have him in charge of Reading. It's pure chance he's in that job.

Yeah but Solskjaer won a series of games against cannon fodder with the second most expensive team in the world and also fluked a VAR-assisted away goals win over PSG so he's actually better than Rodgers.

12 hours ago, Dan said:

Surely they'd rather him be with Rodgers than Solskjaer. I could understand Pep or Klopp but Solskjaer, without a doubt is poorer than Rodgers.

Yeah but they’re Man Utd, and the media has massive big club bias. So they’ll always prefer good English players at big English club.

Don’t ask me why the media doesn’t want a single many strong English clubs as possible, because that would actually mean the football they’re wanting us to consume is a better product as it’d be more entertaining 

• Subscriber

I'm sure they'll trot out the line soon about how playing in Europe will help him develop without actually bothering to explain what he would get out of playing Eastern European dross every couple of weeks until March that he couldn't get in the Premier League.

4 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm sure they'll trot out the line soon about how playing in Europe will help him develop without actually bothering to explain what he would get out of playing Eastern European dross every couple of weeks until March that he couldn't get in the Premier League.

Tbf if you make it deep in the EL, you’ll face some decent sides

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Well...... he did manage us first. :(

He took Cardiff down (and unlike Warnock, didn't take you up in the first place) and then got sacked early on in the Championship for you, before returning to Norway (where he's not done badly but come on...). The bloke's incredibly lucky to have that job and the way he's spoken since getting it permanently - well he knows it himself.

I'll donate £25 to this place if he's managing them in May 2020.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.fb63e5bcae8ee98fc28dce9e7c2b8194.png

Manchester United could be forced to meet Leicester City's £80m asking price for England defender Harry Maguire after United's 25-year-old Ivorian centre-back Eric Bailly suffered a knee injury in Thursday's friendly win over Tottenham. (Mirror)

• Subscriber

ITK of ours insinuated that our deadline for selling him is any minute now so Man Utd may panic, in-particular with Bailly injured.

What's good is that we might even get over eighty million.

12 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Quote.thumb.png.fb63e5bcae8ee98fc28dce9e7c2b8194.png

Manchester United could be forced to meet Leicester City's £80m asking price for England defender Harry Maguire after United's 25-year-old Ivorian centre-back Eric Bailly suffered a knee injury in Thursday's friendly win over Tottenham. (Mirror)

Alternative headline:

Manchester United could be forced to spend less than they would for Harry Maguire after Eric Bailly suffered a knee injury... by signing Toby Alderweireld.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Alternative headline:

Manchester United could be forced to spend less than they would for Harry Maguire after Eric Bailly suffered a knee injury... by signing Toby Alderweireld.

It is absolutely, utterly beyond me that they haven't tried to get him. You then give yourselves the option of buying another quality player as well while spending the same on what we'd want for Maguire.

I just find it mad how fixated they are on him. He's good, but there is better out there.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.4b1f67f0257e6e630f2fd6a81d55c6ef.png

Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers says the club have still not received any acceptable offers for England defender Harry Maguire amid interest from Manchester United and Manchester City, adding both the Foxes and Maguire are "relaxed" about the situation. (Leicester Mercury)

The Foxes want United to pay a greater percentage of an £80m fee upfront because they are not convinced they would receive add-ons for Champions League qualification. (Mail on Sunday)

• Subscriber

Sky have pushed this largely because they've gone OTT with their transfer shows this year, expecting a load of activity, and quite frankly they haven't had it.

• The title was changed to Harry Maguire - Manchester United Sign Leicester Defender For World-Record Fee

Archived