talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Maguire - Manchester United Sign Leicester Defender For World-Record Fee

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Dan said:

Sky have pushed this largely because they've gone OTT with their transfer shows this year, expecting a load of activity, and quite frankly they haven't had it.

I dread deadline day more than usual now. The amount of tripe they'll spout about this 'deal' will be off the scale. 

Deadline-Day is shit as it is but the way they've gone about Maguire all summer will make it even more unbearable. 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Stan said:

I dread deadline day more than usual now. The amount of tripe they'll spout about this 'deal' will be off the scale. 

Deadline-Day is shit as it is but the way they've gone about Maguire all summer will make it even more unbearable. 

Dont watch it xD

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Dont watch it xD

I don't. But it's all across social media as well (like it has been all summer) which is sometimes hard to avoid. 

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Maquire missed training today according to Sky.   Probably just picked up a knock, but could there be more to it?

Missed training through sickness.

• Subscriber

Which Sky have predictably done their usual and twisted despite being briefed that it was about illness.

Won't be watching deadline day. Don't usually bother anyway.

• Subscriber

More clickbait from the media boys if whoever wants to click and look :D

Quote.thumb.png.9fde7ac0340f1a59c0444d7ab6621188.png

Leicester City defender Harry Maguire is losing patience with the club and the England centre-back wants the Foxes to push through his move to Manchester United. (Mail)

United are willing to pay as much as £70m for 26-year-old Maguire - but not the £90m Leicester want. (Mirror)

• Subscriber

Think clubs and players need to start making more public statements about this like we did yesterday. If a minority of clubs that are used to getting their way stop shithousing around in the transfer market by allowing the media to speculate about their transfer targets in the hope that they become unsettled, then all this stuff will at least be reduced.

The extent to which papers and Sky get away with this is becoming embarrassing. Clubs should be able to take papers to court and demand that they prove they actually have a source otherwise they should answer to Ofcom or whichever one deals with the papers. In Sky's case there should be a full investigation into the use of transfer rumours fuelling betting on their website because it's a blatant conflict of interest.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dan said:

These are media outlets actively smearing Leicester's name to make us look bad. Why should we not ban their journos from our ground?

They will scream "Freedom of the press...", I would say ban them, I remember Sir Alex Ferguson banning the BBC for seven years after they made a documentary about his son Jason.

SAF Banning the BBC

• Administrator

Really fucking annoys me that The Sun are tarnishing Top's name, too, with absolutely no substance to what they claim he says/said about Maguire. They've also allegedly said that Maguire will move to Utd as part of a gentleman's agreement with Vichai which again has no substance at all.

I wish our club would take action to ban them from our ground for such remarks. 

• Subscriber

I mean, I can deal with the fact they're trying to appeal to the clubs with the most fans as much as I think it's indicative of a lot wrong with the game - it's common sense for a lot of these outlets.

But to actively drag our name through the mud and make us out to be the problem is an absolute joke. It's the biggest self-fulfilling prophecy of a transfer saga I've ever known. 90% of what's been written about it is total bullshit. Leicester have been very calm throughout the whole thing and have made our stance clear - we set a price for Manchester United to pay based on his importance to our team, our own finances, and the state of the market which clubs like Manchester United have played a big part in sending out of control. Manchester United failed to pay this price and were also warned that if they leave it later in the window, it will edge further up as the time for us to sort a replacement out is dwindling and likewise anybody we go for are going to do the same to us, which they are perfectly entitled to do.

Our stance was clear. We see ourselves in a bit of a no-lose situation because selling Maguire will allow us to sign a replacement for less and invest in another position in the team, meaning we will probably improve overall if anything. Manchester United have more to lose here than we do. Their failure to match our price is not our problem, it's theirs, and it's typical of the small minded fan of nowadays to think we're the problem - you know the type I mean, those who watch the game through Sky tinted glasses.

Any tabloid who we deem to be dragging our name through the mud, even going as far as using an unconfirmed 'agreement' between Maguire and Vichai to try and morally one-up us should have all of their journalists banned from our ground. Why should we tolerate it?

Sadly with Sky we've got little choice, the club are very pissed off at what they did yesterday - they were briefed that Maguire missed training through illness and they surprise surprise used this as an excuse to create another 'twist' in their self-fulfilling saga. The catch with them is that they do fund us so we can't really win, although their desperation tells me that they know their time as the top dog in football broadcasting is coming to an end and I'll be delighted when it does. They're horrible.

It could still happen, sure it could, but believe me I'll be giving not a jot of credit to a single one of those aforementioned for their absolutely pathetic attempts at journalism.

• Subscriber

I'm convinced it's all one big wind up now. He couldn't have sounded less convincing if he tried. It was like he was acting out bullshitting.

I'm still calm about the whole thing really.

• Subscriber

ACTUAL NEWS - John Percy (actual news source) says it's been agreed that Maguire won't play against Atalanta tomorrow in our final friendly.

Means it's definitely a possibility but not definitive. I just really hope we stay strong and get the best situation we can get.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Leicester have absolutely rinsed United 

I genuinely thought after a while (say, up to 1-2 weeks ago) they'd give up and get bored of us playing hard-ball. I really didn't think they'd pay it.

Happily take the £90m. Always stated that we didn't need the money but it covers the Tielemans and Perez signings and also leaves us some extra to invest in other areas of the squad (hopefully a winger as a priority). 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

No doubt Maguire is now the best CB in the league 

He's come a long way from:

On 13/04/2018 at 18:12, Teso dos Bichos said:

Maguire would be the fifth option at best for man utd, so miss me with that bullshit. Would rather see paddy mcnair get another chance before Maguire.

• Subscriber

I reckon this is going down to deadline day, which is fucking infuriating. I think he's staying out of tomorrow because it's a possibility that it happens (no doubt that all the usual suspects absolutely desperate for it to happen will claim it's now a done deal) but I still reckon the clubs are at least ten million apart.

We cannot be criticised for making it harder later in the window. This, again, is their fault. We're well within our rights to given the later in the window it gets, the tougher it gets to sort a replacement.

Any premium we lob due to it being late on will only be used to top up the bid for our replacement.

I am a bit less confident in going with Soyuncu and Benkovic than I was to be honest. Soyuncu's still making some silly errors despite his potential and Benkovic hasn't kicked a ball all pre-season and will be available probably September at the earliest I'd imagine.

I'd rather not bomb a shit load at a Tarkowski or a Dunk but we're probably going to. If we did however get in one of those, and Suso, then I think we've done well.

• The title was changed to Harry Maguire - Manchester United Sign Leicester Defender For World-Record Fee

Archived