talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Maguire - Manchester United Sign Leicester Defender For World-Record Fee

• Subscriber
On 02/07/2019 at 15:41, Dan said:

Why take the first offer? They're idiots. They'll cave in and give us 80.

When you know.

I agreed with people who said he isn't a £70mil defender, but if that's their opening offer then why take it when they're clearly desperate and will cave in?

To be clear, they have made an improvement to their defence with this signing, just not eighty-five million's worth. This isn't the bitter fan coming out in me here - he was not that great last season. If you could be arsed you could find me saying this all season. It is not unrealistic to suggest he was the weak link of the back line. That said bar the odd game our defence was a lot improved last year.

The question for us now is what do we do? Because based on pre-season, Soyuncu is likely to start against Wolves. He's a bit rash but has clearly got something about him. The dilemma is do we go and spend big on a centre half or do we prioritise other positions? I think personally, even despite losing Maguire, that we need a bit more firepower first and would prioritise that by signing a Thauvin, Suso type of player.

Tarkowski is probably going to cost us about forty million which is the caveat in all of this. Luckily we've had so long to prepare we should know exactly what to go and do and unlike Woodward, we actually appear to have some clue what we're doing.

You've got to ask why Manchester United waited this long. They've lost all pre-season with him on the basis of not over-paying yet blinked first in the end and paid it anyway. Leicester aren't some little club you can bully around anymore. Things have changed a bit in football - the 'rest' of the Premier League are tougher to buy from than they ever have been. We are in a superb position as a club given we also hold a number of players that will command similar fees. They were naive to not realise this. They've shown themselves up for not being as tough as they once were. Why did they think we were going to cave in?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Teso taking Ls galore in this thread. 

Give it up mate. Man Utd have been done good and proper here no matter how much you try and sugarcoat it. 

4 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

A man utd youngster has been involve in every goal so far this preseason whether via goal or assist. De Gea has his position cover but more youngsters will be given the chance in the rest of the positions. Man utd has the most potential when it comes to youth and there is no need to buy a Chelsea reject like LukakuxD

Hmmmmm….. :what:

Leicester might be laughing all the way to the bank, but wait until you see what Brendan does with a big wad of cash burning a hole in his pocket

It is an overpay for United, but they've got a good homegrown defender who can both play the ball and battle long ball teams, and they've got him for his prime years. I don't think it's as laughably bad as some are suggesting

• Subscriber

Leicester are best off spending some of it now on essential business and saving the rest for next summer.

Go in now for Tarkowski or Dunk straight after the Maguire fee has become public knowledge and those clubs will be wanting £40m or more.

Better off taking your time over it.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Leicester are best off spending some of it now on essential business and saving the rest for next summer.

Go in now for Tarkowski or Dunk straight after the Maguire fee has become public knowledge and those clubs will be wanting £40m or more.

Better off taking your time over it.

I agree. If the decision is to go with Soyuncu and Benkovic, while it's a gamble, I'd be happy with it. I do however expect us to get Praet, and then this difference making wide player. We fancy Suso apparently and that's exactly the type I mean.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Given the physicality of the league and the importance of a tall and talented defender for a mid table and below Maguire was the best player. Dont kid yourself, lcfc has way more during the span of a season were they are merely the protagonist and defend like hell. The only chance they have of an upset is from a set play and Maguire has proven he is a threat there. HELLO, Maguire was the best lcfc given all of the above. 

I must've imagined the win at Chelsea with a Vardy goal after a passing break and the win over Man City with a Ricardo belter.

Maguire just wasn't our best player. He was one of the better, but our best? Just simply not the case.

• Subscriber

Just for clarity, it was before this season (which was worse than his last) where he was fifth choice at best at Man Utd. Man Utd must've absolutely tumbled in the last year.

55 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

. If liverpool could be that close to finally ending the drought and winning the CL with Hendo,salah, TAA, Firmino, and milner....the thought of what Rashford, Martial, Pogba, maguire and AWB will achieve literally gave me goosebumps. 

Hendo - CL winning and England captain

Salah - Premiere League top scorer two seasons running

TAA - Two CL final appearances and probably the best young RB in the world

Firmino - Brazilian CF that you obviously haven't watched because hes ace

Milner - The fittest man on earth that can slot into any position on the pitch

Fucking Rashford - Dont make me laugh

Martial - The cry baby bastard

Pogba - LOL

Maguire - Slab head

AWB - Double LOL

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

That type of money is pocket change for such a elite global team

1 hour ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

I don't like the price tag

Make your mind up. 

Very good player, will do well at Manchester United now. Have doubts whether he's the absolute top quality but I said the same about robertson. 

This is ludicrous money and if it was Liverpool it would scrutinised and criticised in a way this isn't. Leicester fans seemingly happy their player has been sold 😂 ffs. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

This is ludicrous money and if it was Liverpool it would scrutinised and criticised in a way this isn't. Leicester fans seemingly happy their player has been sold 😂 ffs. 

What?

Man Utd have been scrutinised to fuck about what they've paid for Maguire & Wan-Bissaka xD. Had their pants down and then some.

Being happy a player is sold and being happy with a fee received are mutually exclusive.

What have you been reading xD?!

17 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Very good player, will do well at Manchester United now. Have doubts whether he's the absolute top quality but I said the same about robertson. 

People can scrutinise us all they like. We paid £75m for the best CB in football, Utd are about to spunk £90m on a breeze block :rofl:

20 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

People can scrutinise us all they like. We paid £75m for the best CB in football, Utd are about to spunk £90m on a breeze block :rofl:

Although I agree with where you're going with your comment, you're cheating by using hindsight where Van Dijk is concerned and that's not a fair way to get an assessment or to make a debate. When Van Dijk joined Liverpool he wasn't considered one of the best centre-backs in Europe let alone the best centre-back in the world. Was he even a Dutch international at the time? If he was, he surely wasn't a main feature.

But again, I agree... Even without hindsight Maguire doesn't offer the same sensations Van Dijk did even before his move to Liverpool.

• The title was changed to Harry Maguire - Manchester United Agree Deal For Defender
  • Subscriber
8 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

🙄 Snakes to the fans and now ex-players. Such bitterness now since he opted for what's best. wont help ease the pain 🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍 I don't like the price tag but he is young and English (I have always been a supporter of the 6 + 5 rule)

The addition of awb, james, and Maguire is finally making sense. They will get to be around the start of the this new era for man utd that will help them reach their top potential and bring stability. If liverpool could be that close to finally ending the drought and winning the CL with Hendo,salah, TAA, Firmino, and milner....the thought of what Rashford, Martial, Pogba, maguire and AWB will achieve literally gave me goosebumps. 

That was you who said that by the way, not me. I was more consistent in my view. You're just consistent in talking shite.

• The title was changed to Harry Maguire - Manchester United Sign Leicester Defender For World-Record Fee

Archived