talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Relegation Battle

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish we hired Marco Silva when Steve Bruce resigned, we wouldn't even be in the conversation.

If we can get a couple of results away from home I fancy us to beat the drop, Palace's run in is ruthless and and West Ham are really struggling.

• Subscriber

Usually do one of these as I like keeping tabs on it myself. This is the biggest pain in the arse one yet given the number of teams.

PL Relegation 1.PNG

Teams highlighted grey I'd rank as highly unlikely to be relegated. Fixtures in bold are the crunch games.

Burnley's run in is interesting, they play four of the bottom eight.

Crystal Palace's run in looks absolutely nasty, but given their win at Chelsea last weekend you wouldn't write them off in any fixture. For that reason I think they'll survive.

Swansea I think it's crucial that they take some points in their next three. Stoke at home is an absolute must win for them.

I honestly think it could be West Ham. They're in freefall and if they fail to get some points in their next two then you struggle to see how they'll do it, because Hull still look like they've got some points in them at home yet.

The bottom two both need a miracle. I said Middlesbrough needed 6 points from Hull and Burnley, and they've already lost at Hull. I think failure to win that and they're as good as gone.

Sunderland actually have some winnable fixtures, but when you can't score, what does it matter?

Southampton is probably a harsh inclusion on this, but I did notice they had dropped to about 15th earlier.

It really is mental how tight it is.

Our next fucking four games are away xD suppose we have just had 4 home out of 5.

In pre-season I had money on Burnley, Hull and Swansea to drop. It actually looked quite hopeful at one point, now it's quite conceivable all three survive.

I'd say from Burnley upwards are unlikely to go down.

If Swansea beat West Ham at the weekend then I think it could be them that go too, Swansea & Hull seems capable of winning some games but something seems wrong at West Ham this season.

10 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Bloody hell just seen Palace's fixtures

6 of their last 8 are arsenal, leicester, tottenham, Liverpool, Man Utd and man city. 

The other 2 are hull and Burnley. 

They could struggle to get 40 points. Will need some big wins.

Yeah, I was slateing Sam Allardyce for being so bloody defensive against teams we should have taken the game too in January and February but with the recent wins I came to recognise the reason he was doing that was to prepare us for this hideous run in. I think tactically we're set up to scalp big teams now.

That said, i've just done a predictor online and had us relegated on 38 points. Stoke, Watford, Swansea and West Ham all needed to get something on the last day of the season, and Burnley, Southampton, Bournemouth and Hull made themselves safe with a game to go. I think form dictated my thought pattern so my predictions will probably change again in a fortnights time.

If we go down with the money we've spent I think it would be disastrous. So many players would leave. We'd probably end up having a season similar to Villa's.

Sunderland are gone because Newcastle's annual points amnesty to their nearest and dearest hasn't happened this season and an extra 4-6 points on their total, like in previous years, and Sunderland wouldn't be out of the race at this stage. I think Boro are gone too, I really thought they'd do better than they have done this year but they're more than deserving of the drop based on their inability to score goals. 

As for the final place, I'm stumped. I really don't know. Hull and Swansea have shown huge improvement since managerial changes but I wouldn't rule them out at this stage, Palace seem very hit and miss so I wouldn't like to predict the outcome of their remaining games and West Ham are dropping like a stone at the minute but you'd think they'd have more about them than this. 

It wouldn't surprise me if this goes down to the final day this season, which will actually provide some entertainment for neutrals instead of watching teams celebrating winning hypothetical trophies for finishing 6th when in a few months they'll be complaining about having too many games, having to play Thursday-Sunday and having to play the third best team in Romania a couple of days before playing Everton. 

A lot of the blame at Boro has to lie at Gibson's door. This is twice now that he has got them relegated by making the wrong managerial decision. Last time he stuck with Southgate for too long and they ended up in the Championship for about 6 years was it? This time he's let a nobody take control. It makes no sense because I remember he once brought Terry Venables in to keep them up and it worked. You'd think he'd have went all out for Roy Hodgson at the very least.

4 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

A lot of the blame at Boro has to lie at Gibson's door. This is twice now that he has got them relegated by making the wrong managerial decision. Last time he stuck with Southgate for too long and they ended up in the Championship for about 6 years was it? This time he's let a nobody take control. It makes no sense because I remember he once brought Terry Venables in to keep them up and it worked. You'd think he'd have went all out for Roy Hodgson at the very least.

You forgot the :ph34r: mate!

:ph34r:

40 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Looking at West Ham's fixtures, they really need maximum points from their next two games I think. I'm going to have a little go on them to go. 14/1 with PP.

I don't usually get involved with relegation bets per se but that's great odds! Sneaky £20 on that is well worth it. 

3 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

West Ham, Palace or Swansea going down suits me as I'd like us to take Andy Carroll, Townsend or Sigurdsson.

Zaha would be a decent pick up at the right price but he scored the other day and the media went crazy so obviously he's worth about £78.5m now. 

27 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Zaha would be a decent pick up at the right price but he scored the other day and the media went crazy so obviously he's worth about £78.5m now. 

He'd end up somewhere better than us with that hype. Maybe George Graham will sign him for arsenal when he goes back there this summer to jubilant scenes amongst Islington's sandle wearing over 50s. :ph34r:

Still work for us to do, we need to pick up some points away to stay up . We've got Manchester City away next and Spurs last game.

Still Silva has worked wonders, not only are we getting results but we play the most coherent style I've seen in a long while, fluid and exciting going forward and generally solid at the back. Generally this has been the rule at home, while away we've tried to be more frustrating and pick off teams, with less success.

Silva only has a contract to the end of the season :lol:

I have this feeling that Palace and Hull Will Survive and Swansea Will go down. pAlce gas been great again under big Sam again and i dont see bottling them.now.

I Wish Bournemouth Can go down..But i tjink Swansea look like they LL go. Cause Burnley Will make the most of points in their pitch.

• Administrator

I would love Sigurdsson and we've been linked numerous times over the past couple of seasons.

Must love it at Swansea to have signed a 5-year contract last year. 

• Administrator

Yeah Palace's run-in leaves them still in the picture. How big a win would it be against Arsenal on Monday though?! 

Would be nice for Chelsea to win if you don't want Bournemouth to stay up (think they've done enough though). 

We haven't moved anywhere which is good. But now means there's four  teams on 36 points. One more win for each of those (us, West Ham, Burnley & Stoke) should all but confirm survival to be honest. 

3 hours ago, Dan said:

Three massive games from Middlesbrough, two goalless draws and a loss. Bottled. Down.

I wouldn't say they've bottled it, they're just completely useless and nowhere near good enough for this league and haven't been all season.

They've got some good players, but crying out for a manager who knows how to use them.

Sacking their manager is looking a ludicrous decision now. It's not like his replacement, Agnew, is doing anything different. At least with Karanka, you'd back them in the Championship next season. Now? Who knows.

16 hours ago, Stan said:

Yeah Palace's run-in leaves them still in the picture. How big a win would it be against Arsenal on Monday though?! 

Would be nice for Chelsea to win if you don't want Bournemouth to stay up (think they've done enough though). 

We haven't moved anywhere which is good. But now means there's four  teams on 36 points. One more win for each of those (us, West Ham, Burnley & Stoke) should all but confirm survival to be honest. 

I can't see us beating Arsenal. We have never beaten them here and West Ham did a great job at helping them rebuild confidence. I  can see us taking our foot off the gas after recent results too.

I hope Swansea stay up, they generally offered excitement as a smaller team and I want Clement to turn out to be a decent manager as well.

Boro and Palace offer nothing to the league really, Palace had their chance and kept fucking it up with silly appointments, who thought Pardew was going to end well for them?

Hull are another Boro/Palace but I do like Silva so if he stays at Hull, I hope they stay up with Swansea.

Personally I am bored of Swansea now. At least with Michu and Bony they had something interesting. It's been a long time since I've seen a fixture involving Swansea where I've thought that will be worth a watch.

Either way if it's 3 from the current bottom 4 then the Premier League is having good little clear out year.

Archived