talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Relegation Battle

Who do you fancy to go down?

Middlesbrough are in free fall. A gap seems to be opening up on them hull and Sunderland. 

Will any of them pull some results out their arse? 

Tables do turn quickly. Palace and Leicester fans were talking as if relegation was nailed on a fortnight ago.

IMG_9415.thumb.JPG.1276ba356fb14a05bf1a3ebd5cc4558c.JPG

• The title was changed to Relegation Battle
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Think Hull and Sunderland are gone.

We're showing great signs of recovery after a very bad patch of form and were very low on confidence. Since Monday and the result against Liverpool, it's all pretty much reversed. In good form, winning two in a row, scoring freely, playing confidently. Things are on the up for now.

Probably too early to call the final relegation spot anyway!

I think Hull stand a decent chance of surviving. Swansea and Leicester have improved and made it harder for Hull, but Palace are still down there and Bournemouth are in bad form.

Their attack has been blunted with the loss of Robert Snodgrass but they're playing well under Marco Silva.

I wouldn't rule Bournemouth completely out either Cannabis. They've had a poor 2017. Us and 'Boro have got a horrendous fixture run which probably explains why both managers have been trying to get there defences in order even against relegation rivals. At Christmas I thought the bottom three was set but with Swanseas revival this should go right to the wire.

• Administrator

As Aaron mentions, Palace and Middlesbrough's run-ins are hellish:

Palace:
Watford home
Chelsea away
Southampton away
Arsenal home
Leicester home
Liverpool away
Burnley home
Man City away
Hull home
Man Utd away

some big tests for Palace there. The games against Burnley and Hull at home could be massive.

Middlesbrough:
Man City (FA Cup, home)
Man Utd home
Swansea away
Hull away
Burnley home
Arsenal home
Bournemouth away
Man City home
Chelsea away
Southampton home
Liverpool away

So tough for Middlesbrough and even if they pick up a bit of form/points in their next few league games, their last 4 are ridiculous

• Subscriber

It did hit home two years ago quite how quickly things can turn in a relegation battle. You can change your three literally every weekend.

I think the safest bet, if you were to back three, would be Sunderland, Hull and Middlesbrough.

I think we'll be fine. Our next three games are West Ham away, Stoke at home and Sunderland at home. I expect us to win the latter two and should we deliver I think we will be largely out of the picture.

Under Ranieri we'd have gone down without a doubt. He was the problem all along I think.

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, StanLCFC said:

As Aaron mentions, Palace and Middlesbrough's run-ins are hellish:

Palace:
Watford home
Chelsea away
Southampton away
Arsenal home
Leicester home
Liverpool away
Burnley home
Man City away
Hull home
Man Utd away

some big tests for Palace there. The games against Burnley and Hull at home could be massive.

Middlesbrough:
Man City (FA Cup, home)
Man Utd home
Swansea away
Hull away
Burnley home
Arsenal home
Bournemouth away
Man City home
Chelsea away
Southampton home
Liverpool away

So tough for Middlesbrough and even if they pick up a bit of form/points in their next few league games, their last 4 are ridiculous

Three of them are. I think Southampton at home isn't that bad a fixture to have. They'll almost certainly have nothing to play for and the bulk of our games in the great escape were against sides in that scenario - co-incidentally Southampton at home late on being one of them.

But the fixtures are irrelevant if you can't even score goals. Most people could've called Middlesbrough struggling in the goals department in pre-season.

I think Hull will drop now. I think this last pair of results will hit them. Not beating Burnley was a huge blow. Burnley always seem to be a thorn for them.

Sunderland... if they stay up this time then I think it's time to accept they'll just never ever go down.

Also worth pointing out that the Middlesbrough fixture list is missing a fixture - Sunderland at home, which was meant to be this weekend. That could be a very big game.

I think we're all but down now, I reckon Boro and Sunderland will come down with us. The last two results have been awful and the performances have been poor to boot. Now we have to beat Swansea which given their improvement under Clement is no easy task. Unless Marco Silva can pull some more surprise results off against the likes of Everton, Man City and Spurs then we have to beat the teams around us which has traditionally been a problem for us. 

Our run in isn't the worst but I've learned to have low expectations in these situations xD

Swansea (H)

Everton (A)

West Ham (H)

Boro (H)

Man City (A)

Stoke (A)

Watford (H)

Southampton (A)

Sunderland (H)

Crystal Palace (A)

Spurs (H) 

• 2 weeks later...

I fancied Sunderland and Middlesborough going down since day one, not surprised it looks like they will. 

Sunderland have somehow escaped those clutches for two long but I think their time is up, Middlesborough is just out of steam. 

Hull might be able to pull themselves out of that hole and clutch 17th, I think it might be Palace that falls, which as Cannabis said is a shame with the quality on that team. If they were to fall they will be right back  up next year.

• Subscriber

Be amazed if we go down now.

It's looking like four of Sunderland, Hull, Middlesbrough and Swansea, and it's probably going to be the former three.

I said it before West Ham but in three games time (West Ham A, Stoke H, Sunderland H) we'd be practically safe and I stand by that. I think we'll take at least 4 points from our next 2 and that'll about do it barring a total capitulation, which admittedly given the nature of us I don't put entirely past us.

It'll probably be Sunderland, Boro & Hull although as has already been said, things can chance so quickly. All it takes is one of those teams to win a couple on the bounce and things look completely different.

Boro have been dreadful all season and barely look like scoring a goal, Sunderland have been Sunderland but Hull have given themselves a fighting chance & I think they've found a gem in Marco Silva.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Hull really might do this and do you know what, I hope they do.

Burnley have been pulled back into it.

It's mental how tight it is. Southampton in 10th are only 6 ahead of Hull in 18th.

I think if Middlesbrough don't take six points from their two games this week they're goners.

This is getting tasty now. 30 points for the 3rd bottom team at the 30 game mark. Last season at this stage the 3rd bottom team only had 25 points and the team that finished 3rd bottom ended up with 37 points. So it looks like it will be 40+ points needed to survive.

Bloody hell just seen Palace's fixtures

6 of their last 8 are arsenal, leicester, tottenham, Liverpool, Man Utd and man city. 

The other 2 are hull and Burnley. 

They could struggle to get 40 points. Will need some big wins.

• Administrator

Sunderland & Middlesbrough almost definitely down. No way I can see them getting enough points to overhaul Hull and Swansea. 

9 points separate 9th and 18th though. Can't remember when it was so tight to that high up the table. 

Archived