talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Relegation Battle

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Tell you what if Middlesbrough win today and Hull/Swansea don't they will start wondering again, especially with Sunderland at home in hand.

Bournemouth away isn't unwinnable either. Sunderland won there.

It'll be a race right until the end between those two, difficult to say which once will pull over the line too.

Palace are one win away from safety, though they've got some tough games coming up.

• Subscriber

Our fans panicking again. I'm just not feeling it. We're 6 clear of Swansea with two in hand, with Watford and Bournemouth at home to come. We need a disaster to drop.

I keep thinking that our home record won't last but then we go and win again. I'm still worried about our away form though. We need to start picking up points on the road but I just don't see it happening. 

• Subscriber

Wouldn't be shocked to see Burnley or Palace get a win tomorrow. Both will panic if they lose.

I still think Swansea are going. Hull did fantastically to win today after that red card. That result could well be the definer if they do end up staying up.

I think it's the ordering of Swansea's fixtures that is the problem. 

There's definitely 6 points for them in the last 2, but they could be 5 points behind Hull going into those 2 games.

Psychologically that could be too much pressure.

• Subscriber
On 4/22/2017 at 11:33 PM, Dan said:

Wouldn't be shocked to see Burnley or Palace get a win tomorrow. Both will panic if they lose.

I still think Swansea are going. Hull did fantastically to win today after that red card. That result could well be the definer if they do end up staying up.

Boom. Palace won't go. Super turnaround from them.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Toony said:

Yeah, Allardyce has done exceptionally well really to turn that around.

Theyve got a good squad though, a few more additions over the summer and they could push top 10 next season.

I agree they could. Definitely need a couple of additions but to be fair to him he does find some pretty good players out of nowhere. Milivojevic looks decent.

9 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Isn't it funny that every season there are about 7 or 8 teams whose fans at some point say with real conviction "we're going down" 

We were unquestionably going under Ranieri. I had £20 on us to go at 10/1 and was laughing at how big a price I got. It was tumbling by the week after I put it on as well. But I didn't think they would ever actually sack him. I changed my mind immediately when he went.

If we hadn't have sacked Ranieri there would be no relegation battle. It took us to make the league interesting again :ph34r:

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Allardyce has got a very good squad just about meeting their standard, he's got a massively superior squad to any of the bottom 10 for me. 

Better than ours?

• 2 weeks later...

That's us gone then. Can't see Swansea dropping points in the last two games and even if they do I can's see us getting anything away to Palace or against Spurs. I'm very disappointed we should have seen this out really. The blame lies solely at the door of the Allams. Let's not forget that we had quite possibly the worst backing and pre-season in Premier League, there is no excuse for a team coming into the season with only 13 fit players. The lack of investment and lacklustre appointment at the beginning of the season is what doomed us, Marco Silva has done an incredible job to have us in contention to stay up in May, I wish him all the best at his next club. 

I'm very worried about next season, barring a miracle in the next two weeks we'll be in the Championship with very few players (and even fewer who'll want to stay with us), no manager, owners with no desire to back us financially and no prospective change in ownership due to the Allam's ridiculous demands. I just hope we don't plummet down the leagues but perhaps I'm just being dramatic. 

Archived