talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Paperwork and database for a mechanic/garage

football forum

For people who have ran their own businesses, my cousin is going to have his own garage, but he'll be working from home. Would it be easier designing a customer database in Excel, along with a booking system or just doing it online which is ready made, and pay monthly? 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
On 12/06/2019 at 02:49, MUFC said:

For people who have ran their own businesses, my cousin is going to have his own garage, but he'll be working from home. Would it be easier designing a customer database in Excel, along with a booking system or just doing it online which is ready made, and pay monthly? 

If this is a startup style business with plans to go long-term stick with Excel. Don't both doing monthly payments even if the cloud is gorgeous and glittery its a pointless expense versus getting a Microsoft Office - Home User subscription which has added benefits like email setup, One drive for storing Excel sheets and even the ability to edit them from your phone directly, etc. I don't think I'd ever be comfortable with trying to go for a ready-made solution at that start of a business venture until I crossed a certain threshold and wanted to get more automation into my business. Example, booking gets sent to queue, lines up jobs, customer is notified about job status, mechanic has tool to update status and pricing, etc etc. 

Managing your business in Excel is sometimes looked a bit down upon but let me tell you that Excel is far from a shabby tool and can offer some easy solutions with a reasonable amount of time spent for calculating your monthly expenditure in your business, running projections, etc and this can all come from various workbooks hot-linked to each other too.

Cheers, was thinking of forms in Excel or even Access. Will use Excel but will stick to non-VBA, reason is I haven't used Access or Excel since 2002 properly. Is weird, use to use it loads and college and uni, was quite in-depth. But as long as I can understand the form and I have all the required data, then I don't see the point in an on-line auto repair software, with a monthly payment, especially when I have Office 2016 professional. 

• Subscriber
49 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Cheers, was thinking of forms in Excel or even Access. Will use Excel but will stick to non-VBA, reason is I haven't used Access or Excel since 2002 properly. Is weird, use to use it loads and college and uni, was quite in-depth. But as long as I can understand the form and I have all the required data, then I don't see the point in an on-line auto repair software, with a monthly payment, especially when I have Office 2016 professional. 

Yeah theres loads of benefits going down that route. You don't even need to do any special VBA coding as most stuff is really just intrinsic Excel functionality. You can even generate invoices in Word and run it that way too. I do this for a living, building custom solutions for clients, but even I tell them at times that they should stagger their progression into the online space until they have an actual need for it. 

• Subscriber

Just have a play around with Excel for sure. It's a very clever program and you've got the added bonus of being able to Google different functions and moulding it into whatever you want it for. 

Archived