talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Celtic Agreed £3m fee for David Turnbull

football forum

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unbelievably embarrassing. If he and the agent are playing hardball, we should be quietly telling them to fuck off and moving onto another target. 

But, that would require us to be working to identify other promising young players who can be gotten for a similar price, like any halfway competently-ran side in a smaller league. As it stands, it seems all we do is poach players in Scotland, and try and hit it lucky with young cast-offs from English sides.

It also doesn't help how much Motherwell have publicised about the whole process.  Ideally, nothing would come out until the player had agreed too,  but Motherwell had to go make a big song-and-dance about accepting our bid. If the club had said nothing about why things hadn't progressed after Motherwell's big announcement then it would leave everyone wondering why the deal wasn't finalised.

But it would have been better than this.

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

Unbelievably embarrassing. If he and the agent are playing hardball, we should be quietly telling them to fuck off and moving onto another target. 

But, that would require us to be working to identify other promising young players who can be gotten for a similar price, like any halfway competently-ran side in a smaller league. As it stands, it seems all we do is poach players in Scotland, and try and hit it lucky with young cast-offs from English sides.

It also doesn't help how much Motherwell have publicised about the whole process.  Ideally, nothing would come out until the player had agreed too,  but Motherwell had to go make a big song-and-dance about accepting our bid. If the club had said nothing about why things hadn't progressed after Motherwell's big announcement then it would leave everyone wondering why the deal wasn't finalised.

But it would have been better than this.

I thought that was rather odd too, but seen a few people trying to rationalise it that they are a fan owned club. Whether I buy that or not is a different matter.

26 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

I thought that was rather odd too, but seen a few people trying to rationalise it that they are a fan owned club. Whether I buy that or not is a different matter.

I look forward to seeing if they make a similar announcement for every bid they end up accepting from whichever clubs down south end up going in for him now.

If we were run better, we would have been in a position to call it off the moment Motherwell sent out that statement, and that's what we should have done. No serious club should do business with a partner which runs off shouting all the details of an incomplete transfer. If they hadn't have waxed on about how "transformational" the transfer will be for them, I'd almost think they were trying to sabotage the deal. 

As it turns out, I think it's just amateurish enthusiasm.

Glad if we end up getting him but I don't think he's quite worth all of this fuss. Still an embarrassing episode. 

Our reported efforts at getting McKenna again for £5 mil just confirms that we have almost nothing prepared in the way of scouting for this summer. Symptomatic of our consistently shit and unambitious approach. 

1 - Aberdeen can obviously get more than £5 mil for him. It's a derisory bid. 

2 - You can get a better player than him for £5 mil if you just look around. We're not even being cheapskates effectively. 

• 1 year later...

After missing the entire of last season with injury, Celtic appear to be back with another bid for Turnbull.

Obviously finances are a little more precarious in football right now, so seems the £3 million will be accepted and he'll be a Celtic player by next weekend.

Archived