talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Rafa Benítez Leaves Newcastle United; Steve Bruce Hired

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.f28849b3d9696a593617d97750f17363.png

What Steve Bruce has said about Newcastle United manager job amid new links

The former Manchester United star has been linked with replacing Rafa Benitez

Steve Bruce is said to be 'under consideration' for the chance to replace Rafa Benitez at Newcastle United but would the Sheffield Wednesday manager want the job?

The former Manchester United star has enjoyed a varied managerial career which started as a player-manager for Sheffield United during the 1998/99 campaign.

Stints at Huddersfield Town, Wigan Athletic (twice), Crystal Palace, Birmingham City, Sunderland and Hull City followed before he took over at Wednesday this year.

Bruce has won promotion to the Premier League four times, twice with Birmingham and Hull City, but is now being linked with one of the most difficult jobs in the top tier.

The reports have led to 'disbelief' among the Magpies' supporters but what would Bruce think about the speculation?

This is not the first time that the 58-year-old has been mentioned when it comes to the Newcastle job, with speculation about his future going into overdrive back in 2014 when he was still at the Tigers. Bruce responded to the talk back then by explaining he was flattered and did admit he loves the club.

“People know that I am from Newcastle, I was a Newcastle supporter as a boy and it has been regurgitated since I was a 22-year-old playing for Norwich and Gillingham,” said Bruce. “For that obvious reason every time I am linked with them. It’s very flattering as I’m a Geordie but that’s it.

“I have a job to do here and it would be wrong for me to think of anything else other than getting this club out of the position we are in and that’s all I am focused on.

“It would be wrong for the speculation to keep carrying on for the club, for the supporters, for the players. I am determined to see this through and make sure we stay in the Premier League and build on the good work we have done in the last two and a half years.

“I have had three offers in the two and a half years I have been here and I have turned them all down so I think the chairman knows the way I feel and why would I want to leave now? It’s not right, and I hope people respect that.”

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-steve-bruce-said-newcastle-16556641

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's Man Utd through and through. Pulls the Geordie card out when it suits him

Local journo made a good point, with Perez and Rondon gone we have to spend £50m now just to get back to the level we were at last season.:dam:

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Sky saying we will approach Sheffield Wednesday today to speak to Steve Bruce :4_joy:

Good if he does go to the Magpies, he can entice Ashley to buy Pogba...hang on, I will get my coat getmecoat.gif          4_joy.png

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.44bec888e6edee158f0afe85de7ee125.png

Sheffield Wednesday: Newcastle United ready 'official approach' for Owls boss Steve Bruce and are 'willing to pay compensation'

Newcastle United are believed to be preparing an official approach for Sheffield Wednesday manager Steve Bruce and are said to be willing to pay the necessary compensation fee to get their man.

Reports emerged yesterday showing that the former Hull City boss had become the bookies' favourite to land the job before Sky Sports claimed that Newcastle were indeed interested in the manager.

Last night, Bruce quashed the rumours linking him with a Hillsborough exit and told the Star: “It's new to me. God only knows what happened on Tuesday afternoon. There seemed to be an upsurge (in the betting) from somewhere.

“John Terry was favourite (for the job) yesterday. It was Mikel Arteta the day before so who knows. As far as I am concerned, I am here, I am going home tomorrow and looking forward to walking the dog!"

MORE

It was always going to be someone desperate that no other Premier League team would touch. Decent managers aren't going to go anywhere near a club where Rafa Benitez just left because they wouldn't give him the backing to finish 8th.

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Charnley has spent the last two weeks "scouting" europe for a manager and has come back thinking how about Steve Bruce?

And put out the rumours to make Newcastle fans think that the club is really trying hard for a new manager, as Rafa said before he left...

Bruce will build an empire of sand, a few loans etc and “get them going” I actually think it’s probably the best they can hope for in the relegation battle to come. It won’t be pretty but they will get results, 18 months thought I’m positive Harvey will be echoing everything I said about him at Villa. 

“I don’t do tactics” against Klopp & Pep it’s laughable. I genuinely feel for Newcastle it’s utterly abysmal stewardship and almost certainly profiteering now.

1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Bruce will build an empire of sand, a few loans etc and “get them going” I actually think it’s probably the best they can hope for in the relegation battle to come. It won’t be pretty but they will get results, 18 months thought I’m positive Harvey will be echoing everything I said about him at Villa. 

“I don’t do tactics” against Klopp & Pep it’s laughable. I genuinely feel for Newcastle it’s utterly abysmal stewardship and almost certainly profiteering now.

Is this the earliest a club has panic appointed a manager for a relegation slog?

2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

xD Did he actually say this? Hilarious if true.

• Subscriber

Painfully predictable. It should be an attractive job for the likes of Gerrard and Arteta but in reality it's a 90% chance of starting your Premier League management career on a hiding to nothing which will probably result in an early sacking and a potential retreat to the Championship to rebuild your reputation.

1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

Is this the earliest a club has panic appointed a manager for a relegation slog?

You will buy Barry Bannan and James Chester. Then I reckon you will get a few lads on loan that are shit. 

11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

xD Did he actually say this? Hilarious if true.

Yeah or “doesn’t like tactics” something like that

• Subscriber

It was always going to be someone like this sadly. If a single person can seriously make any case for Ashley then they're a disgrace - couldn't believe I was hearing people like Kevin Nolan defending him the other day. That's got to hurt.

7 hours ago, Dan said:

It was always going to be someone like this sadly. If a single person can seriously make any case for Ashley then they're a disgrace - couldn't believe I was hearing people like Kevin Nolan defending him the other day. That's got to hurt.

We now know why Nolan did that, he was going to be Allardyce's assistant

If Allardyce took the job the stadium would be practically empty on the first game of the season.

The hierarchy are deliberately spiteful and tone deaf.

Just bring Pardew back and be done with it.

4 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Bruce has asked Sheffield Wednesday owner for permission to speak to us.

He's coming home, he's coming home, he's coming :4_joy::4_joy::4_joy:

Do you think there will be a revolt in the gate receipts after this offseason and all its negativity?

• The title was changed to Rafa Benítez Leaves Newcastle United; Steve Bruce Hired

Archived