• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Rafa Benítez Leaves Newcastle United; Steve Bruce Hired

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
10 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Local press have said no truth in it. Steve Bruce having a medical now, will replace Schar who is off to AC Milan.

If you're selling him and not properly replacing I think you're almost certainties for 20th.

What an absolute mess. It's got to be out of spite from Ashley. Surely nobody can be that clueless.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.b6ced2aacae8751498de95607a79658b.png

Sheffield Wednesday Refuse To Accept Mike Ashley’s Offer For Steve Bruce

11:32 pm Tuesday, July 16th, 2019

Paul Joyce, the Northern Football Correspondent for the Times, has learned that Sheffield Wednesday owner Dejphon Chansiri is still refusing to accept Mike Ashley’s offer of compensation for Steve Bruce.

Paul Joyce was the journalist who first reported that Steve Bruce and his assistants put in their resignations on Monday.

It was then reported that Mike Ashley had caved and sent £4m to Dejphon Chansiri. But it looks like those claims may have been a bit wide of the mark.

The is the tweet from Paul Joyce who now says that Mike Ashley has only offered £3m.

Mike Ashley has a fight on his hands. Chansiri is not going to let the shameful actions of both Ashley and Steve Bruce pass without a fight.

He is absolutely right to demand full compensation from Newcastle. Sheffield Wednesday has been left in the lurch by Steve Bruce and sometimes you have to do what is right.

We understand that this is Steve Bruce’s dream job and that he is from the area. We just don’t care. It was dishonourable to engineer a move in this fashion.

If he had just waited and let the two club’s work out a deal, then fine. But it looks as if he has resigned to try and force a move. Both Newcastle United and Sheffield Wednesday deserve far better than that.

https://www.nufcblog.com/2019/07/16/sheffield-wednesday-refuse-to-accept-mike-ashleys-offer-for-steve-bruce/

Bruce said "There is a huge challenge ahead of us"

Only because Ashley is a cunt and you've got a shite track record. This didn't need to be a "huge challenge" of a season. We were only a couple of players off top 8 with Rafa in charge.

• Subscriber

Is there anything more "Mike Ashley's Newcastle" than firstly employing Steve fucking Bruce, but also then being involved in some legal fallout because you refused to pay an extra £2m compensation to the Championship club whose manager you're taking?

• Subscriber

Bruce loves switching between rival clubs doesn't he!

Managed:
Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United
Sunderland and Newcastle
Birmingham and Aston Villa

Know this is his dream role but definitely not the right man for the job.

Wow, Newcastle fans are really not happy at all about old Steve, and there spot on! The man has done nothing to warrant a Premier League return and I can only see him lasting untill October. Rafa overachieved with the squad he had, Bruce could'nt even get Villa promoted with arguably one of the best Championship squads I dread to think how he will cope at Newcastle. 

You also have to feel sorry for the Newcastle fans, Mike Ashley is a disaster and should not be allowed near that/ or any football club. 

I think he’ll get you “there or thereabouts” and when you’re away at city “it’s a tough place to come they’re champions, we’ll have the roll our sleeves up” 

in 2019 that’s genuinely the sum of him, going from one of the top 10 coaches in World football to that scandalous 

• The title was changed to Rafa Benítez Leaves Newcastle United; Steve Bruce Hired

I’m not gonna sit here and defend Bruce because I think Newcastle fans have a right to be angry. I think Rafa is shite but going from him to Bruce is a genuine downgrade especially when you consider Rafa brought hope to the fans and actually did relatively well.

However, reading that some fans have cancelled their season tickets because of this is a tad embarrassing. I don’t think Newcastle fans are to be singled out though. This could apply for most British football fans. I honestly feel if Rafa Benitez was called “Ralph Smith” and came from Dagenham, the reaction would have been similar. There is no respect for English managers in England anymore. Most for good reasons but brits are so negative towards their own countrymen that it’s a bit sad. I am one who actually thought Joe Hart was a decent keeper back in the day but when I brought it up to someone from England they would instantly disagree. Every time.

6 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

I’m not gonna sit here and defend Bruce because I think Newcastle fans have a right to be angry. I think Rafa is shite but going from him to Bruce is a genuine downgrade especially when you consider Rafa brought hope to the fans and actually did relatively well.

However, reading that some fans have cancelled their season tickets because of this is a tad embarrassing. I don’t think Newcastle fans are to be singled out though. This could apply for most British football fans. I honestly feel if Rafa Benitez was called “Ralph Smith” and came from Dagenham, the reaction would have been similar. There is no respect for English managers in England anymore. Most for good reasons but brits are so negative towards their own countrymen that it’s a bit sad. I am one who actually thought Joe Hart was a decent keeper back in the day but when I brought it up to someone from England they would instantly disagree. Every time.

You think it's just because of Rafa leaving they've done that? Nah, it's a build up of many things and I think it would have been the last straw for a lot of them. There's so many problems at that club that have been well documented. Benitez was the only thing keeping them competitive in the league. Now they've lost him and their two best attackers from last season. Why should they keep putting money into a club that's not even trying to compete?

3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

You think it's just because of Rafa leaving they've done that? Nah, it's a build up of many things and I think it would have been the last straw for a lot of them. There's so many problems at that club that have been well documented. Benitez was the only thing keeping them competitive in the league. Now they've lost him and their two best attackers from last season. Why should they keep putting money into a club that's not even trying to compete?

Yes, I thought about that as well. I can’t say I’m an expert but to potentially getting rid of Ashley to keeping him and not doing a job to keep Rafa and getting Bruce instead. It’s a mess, I agree. It still feels a bit premature though I think and I maintain that there is no faith in your own countrymen anymore.

Part of me says that Rafa left partially because he’s rebuilt his respect. He lost it all at Madrid and Napoli but now that he’s done a good job somewhere again, it wouldn’t surprise me if he left to make a jump again, as well as the incompetence of the club.

1 minute ago, Grizzly21 said:

Yes, I thought about that as well. I can’t say I’m an expert but to potentially getting rid of Ashley to keeping him and not doing a job to keep Rafa and getting Bruce instead. It’s a mess, I agree. It still feels a bit premature though I think and I maintain that there is no faith in your own countrymen anymore.

Part of me says that Rafa left partially because he’s rebuilt his respect. He lost it all at Madrid and Napoli but now that he’s done a good job somewhere again, it wouldn’t surprise me if he left to make a jump again, as well as the incompetence of the club.

There is always a moment or something that triggers such a reaction. I stopped going to Liverpool games after Liverpool appointed Hodgson (after Benitez) under Hicks and Gillett and I know others who did the same. Some people just don't want to hand over their hard earned to owners who show no ambition or use it to pay off their debts (which was the case at Liverpool in 2010).

I'm sure the reaction wouldn't have been quite as bad if they were appointing a progressive, young manager. Instead they've appointed the definition of mediocrity who was sacked in the Championship last season.

1 hour ago, Grizzly21 said:

Tbf Joe Hart is 32... which for a keeper isn't that young. So perhaps him getting the boot from City, looking a bit shite in Italy, and now finding himself more of a backup than a first team keeper... might mean he's not as good as you thought he was? xD I don't think that's got anything to do with no respect towards English managers/players in England.

Like @LFCMike said, if they'd gone with a young English manager that's progressive... I doubt the reaction would be anywhere near as negative. But this is just an unambitious move from an unambitious side - bringing in a man who's looked out of his depth the last time he was in the top flight... and that was what, four years ago?

I don't blame the fans for losing passion about a team that doesn't care about it's fans. It's not like Mike Ashley has tried to match the fans ambition and failed, in which case you'd think "at least the fucker tried" - he doesn't give a fuck about the fan's ambition. He's just happy to have the club in the premier league so Sports Direct's logos will be broadcast internationally. Although I think by appointing Steve Bruce, he's going to take that top flight value out of his football club advertising project.

39 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I knew about these but always shocking,  Sums the clown up, I mean Steve Barnes 🤣

Also Newcastle fans will find out how his matesin the media are, they’ll be portrayed as “hostile and not helping” while butter wouldn’t melt for this dinosaur. 

41 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I knew about these but always shocking,  Sums the clown up, I mean Steve Barnes 🤣

Also Newcastle fans will find out how his matesin the media are, they’ll be portrayed as “hostile and not helping” while butter wouldn’t melt for this dinosaur. 

Mate, read this review of his book "Sweeper" - it's fucking classic https://thesetpieces.com/features/sweeper-steve-bruce-review/

Archived