• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Rafa Benítez Leaves Newcastle United; Steve Bruce Hired

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
16 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

That reminds me of our relegation season, to some degree Sunderland to. 

The lack of ambition eventually translates through to the squad who’ll just start half arsing it. 

If Bruce can wheel and deal and get some loans in he may have a chance, failing that I see a long hard season for the fans to tolerate. Which they rightly won’t they should full on spit the dummy, they’ve held out longer than most other fans have with this nonsense. You imagine this at Liverpool? 

Keys is a dinosaur stuck in the 90’s still asking his bland generic questions before the camera goes out and he then asks the guests “did you smash her?” Furry handed nonce. 

It does, I totally agree, you cannot tread water in my opinion. I think the minute you start aspiring to 40 points a season, you start your road to the inevitable - picking up very little to shout about on the way.

I cannot grasp any other possible mindset. There is no excuse in this day and age where all 20 Premier League clubs receive heavy backing to have no ambition. Clubs like Brighton, Crystal Palace etc... should aspire to get into Europe.

I want us to try and progress. That is all I ask of us. That's all any fan should ask for.

7 hours ago, Dan said:

Your model actually works up to a point - the recruitment of younger players is better than it's given credit for, and the reason that you don't get this credit is because quite simply you haven't got the ambition to back it up and get noticed. You're right, no incremental progress, just treading water and using it to make money in the process. That's even more criminal in a way. If you held on to some of these players and kept them together you would actually do well. One of the most encouraging things I find about this Perez signing is that a lot of players (Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Thauvin) have left and gone on to do well, better than anyone would've imagined. I don't think that's a co-incidence. When you only ever aim to tread water, players are going to lose that desire.

Perez probably feels freed and like his career can take off, and I'm not just saying that to rub your nose in it. You as a club don't grow with these players and pick the money every single time. I'm in favour of selling if we get a bid for over the odds, but you've got to then use that money to make more buys rather than ones to just sell.

If you don't attempt to gradually improve, you will go backwards. It's been proven time and time again. I think sheer consolidation is basically impossible.

Wijnaldum and Sissoko are in completely different enviornments and played in very different ways. They're in the teams that dominate the ball, they're surrounded by better players than them and their team doesn't need them or rely on them to attack. They're in teams that win with or without them which breeds confidence. When they played for us they were in a team that didn't dominate, didn't have good enough players to do so and completely relied on them to make things happen.

If Wijnaldum played for us as deep as he plays for Liverpool he'd look bang average. Sissoko I haven't seen play better for Spurs than he did in his good form here to be perfectly honest. In fact he's still worse than he was then it's just that he's better than this mess he became at the end of his time with us.

Perez might be similar in that if you don't invest in those around then the weight on his shoulders is massive. Then you have to factor in the manager the player has. Liverpool and Tottenham would still be at the top without Sissoko and Wijnaldum because they have world class managers. Perez came good in the last 5 months of his time here. He was a shower of shite in big spells before that and at best a highly frustrating player to watch.

The difference between relegation and survival for a bottom half team is largely cohesion. Doesn't matter if you've got better players than some of the others down there, if they don't go well together you're going down. That's what happened to us under McClaren. This is why incremental progression is key, you hold your core then add, hold, add, hold add. With Rafa, Rondon and Perez gone we now have to build an entirely new attack and pattern of play in attack. It's that which we are most vulnerable with, rather than it being Steve Bruce in general. We are basically going to role the dice. That's also why I don't think people can say we are definitely down. It's impossible to tell where the dice will land. It worked out pretty well once with Demba Ba, Yohann Cabaye and Papiss Cisse. It also worked out badly with Emmanual Riviere and Remy Cabella.

7 hours ago, Dan said:

It does, I totally agree, you cannot tread water in my opinion. I think the minute you start aspiring to 40 points a season, you start your road to the inevitable - picking up very little to shout about on the way.

I cannot grasp any other possible mindset. There is no excuse in this day and age where all 20 Premier League clubs receive heavy backing to have no ambition. Clubs like Brighton, Crystal Palace etc... should aspire to get into Europe.

I want us to try and progress. That is all I ask of us. That's all any fan should ask for.

If you’re not moving forwards you’re going backwards because others are moving forwards at the same time. Arsenal are a great example just trying to stay top 4, now they’re doomed to slip down the table. 

Confirmation email of cancellation has come through.

Joined the Newcastle United Supporters Trust. One of the things they're doing is campaigning for loyalty points not to be wiped of those who cancel their season tickets. No doubt the spiteful club will delete the data so we can't go back though xD

They refused to refund an old blokes season ticket who went blind. The club are absolute scum. 

19 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Season ticket cancelled after 19 years. Lost all loyalty points as a result. The biggest loss however is the time shared with everyone, the shared passion and the shared experience, particularly with my father. It's going to be hard losing that. 

I don't have much to say anymore. Some who cancelled feel anger but I feel a great sense of loss, reluctance even. 

You must feel gutted... such a shame it's come to this for a lot of the fans... 

Steve Bruce wins his first game in charge and has beaten a Premier League team predicted to push for top 6. He has proved all the doubters wrong and shown his quality as a manager. Newcastle fans will be chanting his name soon.

13 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

You must feel gutted... such a shame it's come to this for a lot of the fans... 

The thing that I have found gut wrenching in the last 48 hours is seeing the players and even Bruce in Newcastle colours when deep down I want to put everything behind them. It's still my team but it's hard to square the circle of supporting the team whilst having just massively withdrawn from it. Andy Carroll is likely to come back and whilst he is a step down from Rondon it will still be a blow to not be there roaring him on.

It all feels odd at the minute. I've done something massive to instigate change at the top and not because the team is losing every week and utter shite like some fair weather fans. I don't know whether the team needs to lose for him to leave or to lose for more fans to get angry and bail. I don't really know if what we've done is powerful or not, we will find out on the opening day where any attendance above 35-40k is probably a failure.

1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

The thing that I have found gut wrenching in the last 48 hours is seeing the players and even Bruce in Newcastle colours when deep down I want to put everything behind them. It's still my team but it's hard to square the circle of supporting the team whilst having just massively withdrawn from it. Andy Carroll is likely to come back and whilst he is a step down from Rondon it will still be a blow to not be there roaring him on.

It all feels odd at the minute. I've done something massive to instigate change at the top and not because the team is losing every week and utter shite like some fair weather fans. I don't know whether the team needs to lose for him to leave or to lose for more fans to get angry and bail. I don't really know if what we've done is powerful or not, we will find out on the opening day where any attendance above 35-40k is probably a failure.

Despite having seen some fairly dire times at our club over the years I can't ever think of a time where we despised the set up or ambition of the club to the point you find yourself in... The damage seems irreparable and only Ashley removing himself from the equation will bring any relief, I still cannot understand this attitude and contempt he is showing not only the fans but the history of the club... 

The power of the fans together can't be underestimated but it does need the majority of you to band together to force the change.. A half empty stadium would send a pretty powerful message and it would be one you would hope could not be ignored for long... I appreciate what you are saying though, it must be tough to make a decision like that knowing that it's the club along with yourselves that will be suffering most... The club is in your blood and you can't just switch it off like a light.. 

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.c8c378b7ca5146e37a8aac14eb01002e.png

Sheffield Wednesday report Newcastle over Steve Bruce appointment

Sheffield Wednesday have reported Newcastle United to the Premier League over the appointment of their former manager Steve Bruce.

Ex-Sunderland boss Bruce, 58, resigned as Wednesday boss last week following talks with the Magpies.

He was confirmed as Newcastle boss on a three-year deal, taking coaches Steve Agnew and Stephen Clemence with him.

The Owls, whose Championship campaign starts in 10 days, have yet to name a replacement for Bruce.

In a statement, the Yorkshire club said: "Following Newcastle United's announcement on 17 July 2019 of its appointment of former Sheffield Wednesday staff Steve Bruce, Steve Agnew and Stephen Clemence, the club confirms that it has today reported Newcastle United's conduct to the Premier League.

"As the Premier League will now initiate and carry out investigations into the club's allegations, the club will not be commenting further on this matter whilst such investigations are ongoing."

Bruce was only in charge of Wednesday for 18 games after he began work in February following the departure of Jos Luhukay.

The former Manchester United defender saw his Wednesday side lose only three times after taking charge on 1 February, leading them to a 12th-place finish in the Championship.

A boyhood Magpies fan, Newcastle are the 10th club Bruce has managed and this is his 11th post, having led Wigan Athletic twice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49079337

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.f05f1bddc85c7779ef83df8b412b823d.png

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley said it was "money first, then the club" for ex-manager Rafael Benitez, and added it was "impossible" to keep hold of the Spaniard. 

Ashley adds he will add larger release clauses to contracts in the future after being caught out by Leicester triggering the £30m clause in the contract of former striker Ayoze Perez, 26. (Mail)

Archived