talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Greatest Liverpool Striker Of All Time

LIVERPOOL'S GREATEST STRIKERS  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who for you was the greatest Liverpool striker of them all and why?

• John Aldridge
    • Kenny Dalglish
    • David Fairclough
    • Robbie Fowler
    • Gordon Hodgson
    • Roger Hunt
    • Kevin Keegan
    • Michael Owen
    • Michael Robinson
    • Ian Rush
    • Luis Suárez
    • Fernando Torres
    • John Toshack

• Subscriber

As a personal preference I always like thinking of strike partnerships not a single person and its for that reason that its King Kenny for me. Dalglish's ability to read the game and leave his opponents flat-footed is what you often notice when you watch his videos or even read about the man. Couple that with someone like Rush and you've got a lethal combination where you've got one hunting for the next pass and the other who has the ability to be in the right place at the right time to take advantage of that pass. It also shows how non-reliant a team is on one individual to be at their peak when you've got a complimentary player up front as well with a different style to adapt to your opponents. Probably the best pairing the club has ever had.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think without question Kenny Dalglish is the best player, let alone striker, that has ever worn the Liverpool shirt. That doesn't even begin to touch on what he achieved off the pitch as a manager. However, like the vast majority of the players on that list, his achievements came at a time when Liverpool were the dominant footballing force in England and Europe.

For me it's the players that came along after we were knocked off our perch that should be in the running for greatest striker. This is a point in time where we weren't blessed with World Class talents and our top players would drag the club along kicking and screaming. Obviously Steven Gerrard is the stand out candidate overall, but in terms of strikers it has to be between Suarez and Owen.

Owen on his day must have been absolutely terrifying to defend against with electric pace paired with unnatural finishing ability. At times he almost single handedly dragged Houllier's Liverpool side to an impressive haul of trophies with the FA Cup final against Arsenal being a particular highlight. Whilst Suarez didn't win any trophies his tenacity, work rate, footballing talent and supreme pain-in-the-assedness very nearly inspired Liverpool to a League title. However, they are both cunts so they can get fucked.

Instead I voted for God.

3 minutes ago, Dr Boris Gobshite said:

I think without question Kenny Dalglish is the best player, let alone striker, that has ever worn the Liverpool shirt. That doesn't even begin to touch on what he achieved off the pitch as a manager. However, like the vast majority of the players on that list, his achievements came at a time when Liverpool were the dominant footballing force in England and Europe.

For me it's the players that came along after we were knocked off our perch that should be in the running for greatest striker. This is a point in time where we weren't blessed with World Class talents and our top players would drag the club along kicking and screaming. Obviously Steven Gerrard is the stand out candidate overall, but in terms of strikers it has to be between Suarez and Owen.

Owen on his day must have been absolutely terrifying to defend against with electric pace paired with unnatural finishing ability. At times he almost single handedly dragged Houllier's Liverpool side to an impressive haul of trophies with the FA Cup final against Arsenal being a particular highlight. Whilst Suarez didn't win any trophies his tenacity, work rate, footballing talent and supreme pain-in-the-assedness very nearly inspired Liverpool to a League title. However, they are both cunts so they can get fucked.

Instead I voted for God.

Welcome back mate!

4 minutes ago, Dr Boris Gobshite said:

Instead I voted for God.

Great post mate but you didn't even mention who you voted for in your comment. xD

2 minutes ago, Dr Boris Gobshite said:

Every Liverpool fan will know who I voted for from that comment. 

Hahaha cool!

To be honest, he almost nearly changed the game and how it's perceived. We almost ended up without any pitch lines. :ph34r:

article-1084563-0018F7B100000258-765_468

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Hahaha cool!

To be honest, he almost nearly changed the game and how it's perceived. We almost ended up without any pitch lines. :ph34r:

Rumor has it that the lines that day were not painted ... if you know what I mean.

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Hahaha cool!

16 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Rumor has it that the lines that day were not painted ... if you know what I mean.

Rumour has it that this was not water Gazza was drinking but Vodka xD

gascoigne.jpg?w968h681

8 minutes ago, Dr Boris Gobshite said:

If you haven't listened to the episode of the Magic Sponge Podcast when they have Paul Merson on you should definitely give it a listen. Some of the stories he has are hilarious, especially when him and Gazza are living together at Boro.

Yeah I’ve heard some of that stuff but I don’t even have to go too much into stories told and just things I personally witnessed. I’ve lived in Highbury practically my whole life barring a few stints living abroad. 

Both Merson and Tony Adams used to frequent two pubs in the area after home games (Highbury Barn and Hen & Chickens) and they would be totally legless by the end of the night. The amount of times they got thrown out of those two pubs (especially the Highbury Barn) are too many to remember. But you’d literally be in stitches with laughter watching and listening to the stuff they’d come out with when drunk.

One time Fowler mocked Graeme La Saux for ‘being gay’ in front of La Saux’s famil, by bending over and gesturing towards his arse, so in retaliation Le Saux socked Folwer in the jaw and the referee missed it.

Nothing to do with the thread, I just think it is a funny story.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

On a side of Fowler being an Everton supporter, how many Liverpool players supported Everton before they played and vice versa?

That seems to happen quite a lot to be honest...

In Spain with Real Madrid I can think of three high profile players that were and are Atlético Madrid fans...

• Raúl
  • Míchel
  • Morata

Isco is a renowned Barça fan.

Chelsea had Ashley Cole who was an Arsenal fanatic (I wonder if that sentiment still exists on his part) and Arsenal had in the past two Manchester United fans as longterm servants of the club in the shape of Frank Stapleton and David O'Leary.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Spike said:

On a side of Fowler being an Everton supporter, how many Liverpool players supported Everton before they played and vice versa?

I know Ian Rush was an Everton supporter when he was growing up.

"Despite interest from Manchester City, and in spite of Rush being a boyhood Everton fan..." 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Rush

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

McMannaman was too, Gerrard claims he wasn't but lot's of rumours he was including genuine pictures of him being in an Everton kit. Everton are the scouse club after all.

1033266644_download(1).thumb.png.4e8159a8d7a3b46eebcdd5d14eba367d.png

2016691423_download(2).png.b67007dbc463d8e08570acc6643fd51c.png

Reds skipper Gerrard hopes to win his first-ever title this season with Brendan Rodgers' side in touching distance of winning the league.

But ahead of their crunch clash with Chelsea, a picture of Gerrard as a kid in an Everton shirt has materialised.

According to reports, Gerrard's uncle Leslie took a seven-year-old Steven to Goodison Park in 1987 to have his photo taken with the club's recent silverware.

Gerrard was bought a new Everton strip for the occasion as he posed with the Championship and Charity Shield.

The Liverpool talisman's dad apparently 'went ballistic' when he found out.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/472361/SPOTTED-When-Steven-Gerrard-lifted-the-TITLE-for-EVERTON

Always makes me laugh when Evertonian's almost celebrate the fact a lot of our academy graduates were blues growing up or think that it winds us up (not saying that's happened here, although there is the one who pretends he supports Hull). I don't think Everton not being able to keep hold of them (or convince boyhood blues to join them) is something to be proud of from their point of view when these lads have won multiple trophies with Liverpool.

2 hours ago, True Blue said:

Voted for Ian Rush for the obvious reasons, but in the newer history think Torres was something else.

Genuinely feared prime Torres more than Suarez. Heart stopped every single time bloke had the ball in our box. 

Archived