talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Electrical Failure Causes Power Cuts To Argentina & Uruguay

football forum

• Subscriber

@Berserker, can you log on? what's the score on this one or from anyone else in South America? 

1555645342_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.e15ad54b77ecfb9124cf8687d92a3af9.png

A massive electrical failure has left all of Argentina and Uruguay without power, according to a major Argentine electricity provider.

Reports said the power cut had also affected parts of Brazil and Paraguay.

Argentine media said the power cut occurred shortly after 07:00 (11:00 BST), causing trains to be halted and failures with traffic signalling.

It came as people in parts of Argentina were preparing to go to the polls for local elections.

"A massive failure in the electrical interconnection system left all of Argentina and Uruguay without power," electricity supplier company Edesur said in a tweet.

The country's energy secretary, Gustavo Lopetegui, said the causes for the system failure had not yet been determined. He said power was being restored to some parts of the country, but added that the process could take several hours.

The combined population of Argentina and Uruguay is about 48 million people.

Among the affected provinces in Argentina were Santa Fe, San Luis, Formosa, La Rioja, Chubut, Cordoba and Mendoza, reports said.

Social media reports of the power were widespread - from the capital Buenos Aires in the north, to Mendoza in the west and Comodoro Rivadavia in the south, among many other cities.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-48652686

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to see how that's not a big deal unless it happens often. Can be very very expensive for some industrial sites if they aren't designed to vote with it. Particularly the metallurgical ones which need to keep some metals in a liquid state. They see a total blackout and it can take months to restart.

It was a big deal and because of it the public water net wasn't working neither, but it's back already in most of the country. Apparently one equipment failed in one of the transport lines of one of the power plants and it's connected to all the system so it shut down or something, they said this is the first time ever something like this has happened. There has been heavy rain for the past week and they said it probably had something to do with it.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Berserker said:

It was a big deal and because of it the public water net wasn't working neither, but it's back already in most of the country. Apparently one equipment failed in one of the transport lines of one of the power plants and it's connected to all the system so it shut down or something, they said this is the first time ever something like this has happened. There has been heavy rain for the past week and they said it probably had something to do with it.

There must have been a bit of panic at first I would imagine but I'm glad it's nearly all back to normal now.  :D

26 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

There must have been a bit of panic at first I would imagine but I'm glad it's nearly all back to normal now.  :D

Don't think so, probably most didn't know it was widespread at first and then when it was revealed the cause was already know so just annoying rather than anything else. Thanks for the concern mate.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Don't think so, probably most didn't know it was widespread at first and then when it was revealed the cause was already know so just annoying rather than anything else. Thanks for the concern mate.

Just saw this photo on my MSN page talking about the power cut in your neck of the woods, I love candles and the wife has candles galore in here and a few times over the years when we have had a power cut the candles always came in handy. :D

AACXBWX.img?h=531&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

A woman prepares milk bottles using candles at her home in Montevideo on June 16, 2019, during a power cut. - A massive outage blacked out Argentina and Uruguay Sunday, leaving both South American countries without electricity, power companies said. (Photo by MIGUEL ROJO / AFP) (Photo credit should read MIGUEL ROJO/AFP/Getty Images)

3 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Just saw this photo on my MSN page talking about the power cut in your neck of the woods, I love candles and the wife has candles galore in here and a few times over the years when we have had a power cut the candles always came in handy. :D

AACXBWX.img?h=531&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

A woman prepares milk bottles using candles at her home in Montevideo on June 16, 2019, during a power cut. - A massive outage blacked out Argentina and Uruguay Sunday, leaving both South American countries without electricity, power companies said. (Photo by MIGUEL ROJO / AFP) (Photo credit should read MIGUEL ROJO/AFP/Getty Images)

It's like living in the Middle Ages. :D

• Subscriber

Ever since the construction boom started we've been regularly having power cuts for the past few years in Cambodia as the country's power supply just couldn't meet the growing demand; this year it's gotten even worse due to hot and dry weather lasting longer - it has been 6-8 hours of rolling power outages daily depending on one's location. Makes you realise how dependent we are on electricity and technology these days... It's bad enough for a regular household but the economic impact on the industry is the worst; especially when it comes to small businesses.

• Subscriber

I love a power cut and as @Berserker said when it happens it's like living in the Middle Ages era, no electric lights, radio, tv etc lol, it goes to show you how reliant we are on electric, it's not to bad though as with today's inventions we can survive, we have small portable torches in a drawer that I picked up from the local £1 shop so using them and candles, we get by. 

• The title was changed to Electrical Failure Causes Power Cuts To Argentina & Uruguay
7 hours ago, Berserker said:

Are renewables a big part of your energy mix?

• Subscriber

1592155649_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.293307ec51ecb0bc1e0e1e9a96f20382.png

Argentina and Uruguay scramble to restore power after a massive outage

VIDEO

1231389590_download(1).thumb.png.0294de18d1a70d8183ba880c996a9321.png

Power is being restored to Argentina and Uruguay after a massive electrical failure left large parts of both countries without electricity.

Argentine President Mauricio Macri has promised a full investigation.

Argentine media said the power cut occurred shortly after 07:00 (10:00GMT), causing trains to be halted and failures with traffic signalling.

The blackout was prompted by a failure in an electrical grid that serves both Argentina and Uruguay.

The outage occurred as people in Argentina were preparing to go to the polls for local elections, delaying voting in several regional provinces.

Parts of Paraguay were also affected, a state energy company said.

What do we know about the blackout?

MORE

6 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

I love a power cut and as @Berserker said when it happens it's like living in the Middle Ages era, no electric lights, radio, tv etc lol, it goes to show you how reliant we are on electric, it's not to bad though as with today's inventions we can survive, we have small portable torches in a drawer that I picked up from the local £1 shop so using them and candles, we get by. 

Agree but there's a pretty major difference between a conventional blackout and a total blackout. Most blackouts the generation sources stay online and the grid decides what loads to drop. Total loss of power wreaks havoc on the more critical things. Sewage can be one of the bad ones, hospitals, water supply, traffic systems, big industry. Not everything has a backup generator, and those that do may find it gives out when actually called upon due to being inadequately sized or due to poor maintenance practices.

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Are renewables a big part of your energy mix?

Nah, a small part, less than 10% i think, but we've got a lot of potential and there is a law promoting it and it should be at least 20% in 2025.

7 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Nah, a small part, less than 10% i think, but we've got a lot of potential and there is a law promoting it and it should be at least 20% in 2025.

Interesting. We recently had a high profile outage of one states electricity grid and renewables were considered to be a significant contributing factor. It was an extreme weather condition and most wind generators had to shut down to prevent damage. That coupled with some powerline failures and the whole state went black.

Archived