talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Vincenzo Montella Confirmed as Fiorentina's Head Coach

The coach failed to win any of his games in charge of the Viola at the end of 2018-19, but will nevertheless stay on in charge
Fiorentina has confirmed that ex-AC Milan and Sevilla coach Vincenzo Montella will stay on at the Serie A club after talks with new owner Rocco Commisso.
Montella, who coached Fiorentina between 2012 and 2015, returned to the Artemio Franchi in April, replacing Stefano Pioli.
But he failed to win any of his eight games in charge at the end of 2018-19, seemingly casting his future in doubt.
However, it has now been confirmed that Montella will take charge of the Viola next season, following a meeting with Commisso on Friday.
"I'm very happy. I met Rocco Commisso for the first time in person and his enthusiasm exceeded all my expectations," Montella told Fiorentina's official website.
"He conveys a lot of positivity and I'm sure this feeling will spread through to everyone, the team and the fans.
"Now I can't wait to not only start the season but also get to work and try to give the new owners and Fiorentina fans the satisfaction they deserve."
The 44-year-old Montella returned to Fiorentina after spending nearly a year out of the game, following his sacking at Sevilla in 2018.
He had coached the Liga side to the quarter-finals of the 2017-18 Champions League after taking over midseason, as well as to the Copa del Rey final.
Prior to Sevilla, Montella spent parts of two seasons in charge of Milan. A successful first season at the club, which saw him lead Milan to a sixth-place finish, was followed by a disappointing start to the 2017-18 campaign. As a result, Montella was replaced in November 2017 by Gennaro Gattuso.
He had worked at prior to heading to Milan, after his initial stint at Fiorentina.
Montella will now look to build upon his end of season run at Fiorentina, which saw his side fail to win a single game in any competition after February 17, and ultimately finished 16th, just three points clear of the relegation places.

Source - Ekestiago

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Vincenzo Montella Confirmed as Fiorentina's Head Coach
  • Administrator
4 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

This post hurts my eyes... And then I see the 'source' and it hurts my soul.

Apart from now putting it in the right place, I've fixed the way it looks xD 

Can't change the source, mind!

• 6 months later...

And he's gone...

Lot of work to do rebuilding that club and Montella is rightfully not trusted any longer.

First big test under Commisso's ownership to appoint a new manager. Off the pitch, they finally had stability so should be targeting a higher calibre of manager than they have had in the last few years.

Archived