talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sarri Announced as Juventus Head Coach

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally find this decision from Sarri absurd but I do understand it when I accept what football is right now. I only wish I was born in at least the 90s from a modern football perspective.  But things are how they are and I suppose Sarri will have to accept the shit thrown at him when he visits the San Paolo Stadium... It will be justified!

Left the hardest job in football to currently one of the easiest. He did well in his one season 3rd in a very tough season, one cup final and the Europa League trophy. I don't think he will replicate Allegri's results, or his dominance. However at least he won't have the fans the board and the players on his back constantly.

38 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Left the hardest job in football to currently one of the easiest. He did well in his one season 3rd in a very tough season, one cup final and the Europa League trophy. I don't think he will replicate Allegri's results, or his dominance. However at least he won't have the fans the board and the players on his back constantly.

His football will definitely be better to watch with Juve. But I agree with that!

The problem is that Chelsea is an impossible place to coach and implement something longterm. Surely Lampard recognises this doesn't he?

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, True Blue said:

What?

• Administrator

I would say the Chelsea job has the most incoherent remit, flip flopping in importance from remaining successful to be being successful playing champagne football. As a club it goes to remarkable lengths to undermine itself and make it challenging. The football often seems secondary paradoxically, more being about the powerbrokers and the vision for the club. Which whilst investing considerable money in youth, does so mostly to sell on like a factory rather than utilise it because ready made is the preferred approach for recruitment. Take Mason Mount, is he potentially the next Josh McEachran, full of early promise only to find his level is Championship based. It would be interesting to see Chelsea actually blood youngsters like Mount and Tomori. Even with Lampard aboard, I still believe the pressure would be to play established 'stars'.

2 minutes ago, Batard said:

I would say the Chelsea job has the most incoherent remit, flip flopping in importance from remaining successful to be being successful playing champagne football. As a club it goes to remarkable lengths to undermine itself and make it challenging. The football often seems secondary paradoxically, more being about the powerbrokers and the vision for the club. Which whilst investing considerable money in youth, does so mostly to sell on like a factory rather than utilise it because ready made is the preferred approach for recruitment. Take Mason Mount, is he potentially the next Josh McEachran, full of early promise only to find his level is Championship based. It would be interesting to see Chelsea actually blood youngsters like Mount and Tomori. Even with Lampard aboard, I still believe the pressure would be to play established 'stars'.

Think Mount is superb and could have a big career, just like I felt Ruben would. Not so sure about Tomori tough, and we have currently better players and better young center backs than him for a breakthrough. While Mount depending on several factors like being given a chance could turn to be a superb player for us or a superb loaned out player. Lampard "apparently" asked from Roman a secured 2 years to make something happen. Think Lampard knows the club, knows the players and is highly regarded with this shit board and our shit fans. Only think he lacks is the obvious, experience and high profile games. Saying all this Zidane had two campaigns with Real B and then won three Champions Leagues in a row. 

On 16/06/2019 at 07:48, SirBalon said:

I personally find this decision from Sarri absurd but I do understand it when I accept what football is right now. I only wish I was born in at least the 90s from a modern football perspective.  But things are how they are and I suppose Sarri will have to accept the shit thrown at him when he visits the San Paolo Stadium... It will be justified!

See I’m having a hard time understanding why Napoli fans are so angry, I’d understand it more in England... but this is Italian football. It’s not uncommon for the big managers to have managed rivals. It’s not new or rare. Ancelotti’s been manager of Juve, Milan and Napoli now for example. 

Napoli also hired another manager while he was still at the club. And in terms of big Italian clubs I’d traditionally call Juve’s rivals, Napoli haven’t been genuine contenders since Maradona until recently.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

See I’m having a hard time understanding why Napoli fans are so angry, I’d understand it more in England... but this is Italian football. It’s not uncommon for the big managers to have managed rivals. It’s not new or rare. Ancelotti’s been manager of Juve, Milan and Napoli now for example. 

Napoli also hired another manager while he was still at the club. And in terms of big Italian clubs I’d traditionally call Juve’s rivals, Napoli haven’t been genuine contenders since Maradona until recently.

Good point mate. 

Sarri is perhaps wise to jump ship given certain factors and the environment Chelsea finds itself in at the moment. However, I can't help but think it's a bit audacious and disrespectful from him joining Juventus mind. 

Perhaps the difference with Ancelotti is the fact Sarri is made in Naples so to speak. Ancelotti doesn't really have that purest connection to a club, Ancelotti spent his playing career at 2-3 big clubs as well. 

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I haven't travelled the Italian game like for example I have done with the Spanish game and adding to this also the knowledge I've picked up on Spanish football throughout my life. But I have followed Italian football closely enough and I know how Napoli lives its football and in Italy it's seen as the most passionate football city/region of the country.

It matters not what status Napoli have in the grand scheme of things within Italian football on an international scale. I was talking about how the Neapolitans feel and Sarri is a Neapolitan, Infact he's a charicature of the Neapolitan hot headed can't keep his mouth shut example. He has been vocal about how much he hates Juve many times but hey... This is modern football! Carlo Ancelotti who isn't a Neapolitan was pretty vocal in his time as a footballer aboht Juve too and he ended up coaching them. But I suppose to Ancelotti's credit, he did say years later that it was the worst mistake he had ever made and it disgusted him that he'd coached them.

10 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I haven't travelled the Italian game like for example I have done with the Spanish game and adding to this also the knowledge I've picked up on Spanish football throughout my life. But I have followed Italian football closely enough and I know how Napoli lives its football and in Italy it's seen as the most passionate football city/region of the country.

It matters not what status Napoli have in the grand scheme of things within Italian football on an international scale. I was talking about how the Neapolitans feel and Sarri is a Neapolitan, Infact he's a charicature of the Neapolitan hot headed can't keep his mouth shut example. He has been vocal about how much he hates Juve many times but hey... This is modern football! Carlo Ancelotti who isn't a Neapolitan was pretty vocal in his time as a footballer aboht Juve too and he ended up coaching them. But I suppose to Ancelotti's credit, he did say years later that it was the worst mistake he had ever made and it disgusted him that he'd coached them.

I don't blame Sarri here at all, considering the circumstances.

He made his big move abroad after doing some great work with Napoli... and he was hounded by fans, despite meeting his domestic objectives and making it to 2 cup finals, winning one of them (and probably the more important of the 2 cup finals). Now he gets to go back to his motherland and go to the one last powerhouse of Italian football... and gets to manage a generational talent in Cristiano Ronaldo.

He said if he was going to leave Chelsea before his contract was up, he was going to go back to Italy so he could be around his parents, who I think are dying. So we knew if he left, he was going to Italy. Napoli weren't going to take him back, in fact what ADL did by hiring Ancelotti while Sarri was still on the books is fairly disrespectful to Sarri himself. And how would a Neapolitan feel about being personally disrespected after he'd given them 3 good years of good work?

I'm sure he would have had other offers in Italy, he's a good manager and he's proven it in the Serie A. But he's also been given an offer to manage a very good Juve side, that's probably far more attractive than any other realistic offer any other Italian club could make.

13 hours ago, Batard said:

He didn't have the bottle. It is an arguement of personality and drive for McEachran not Chelsea's failings. When he first broke through he was given all the chances in the world but couldn't hack it at Chelsea or most other clubs. To compare him with other players that simply haven't been given the same chances is disengenuous. If you want to examine Chelsea's actual youth graduates (not someone bought like Borini or de Bruyne) you'll find not many were given chances like McEachran.

Josh McEachran - Played 22 games, never really capitalised. Became an eternal loanee and never really clicked.

Nathan Chalobah - Should have made it but never really played after his first great loan at Watford. A true mistake by the club.

Sam Hutchinson - Played only six times but his knees exploded and was forced to retire. Admirably returned from the brink of career death to make over 100 games for Sheffield Wednesday.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek - Seemingly a first team player, injured often though.

Callum Hudson-Odoit - Breakthrough player but had a terrible injury.

Ola Aina - Sold after only three appearances.

Fikay Tomori - Eternal loanee after one game.

Dominic Solanke - One appearance and sold to Liverpool.

Michael Mancienn - Four games and was just never good enough.

Jeremie Boga - One game and an eternal loanee. Now at Sassuolo.

Tammy Abraham - Suprisingly played a lot during his loans and capped by England, surely a player next season?

John Swift - Two games and now a starter for Reading.

Dujon Sterling - Two games and on his first loan.

George Saville, Andy King, Mason Mount, are a few that come to mind that have never played for Chelsea.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't blame Sarri here at all, considering the circumstances.

He made his big move abroad after doing some great work with Napoli... and he was hounded by fans, despite meeting his domestic objectives and making it to 2 cup finals, winning one of them (and probably the more important of the 2 cup finals). Now he gets to go back to his motherland and go to the one last powerhouse of Italian football... and gets to manage a generational talent in Cristiano Ronaldo.

He said if he was going to leave Chelsea before his contract was up, he was going to go back to Italy so he could be around his parents, who I think are dying. So we knew if he left, he was going to Italy. Napoli weren't going to take him back, in fact what ADL did by hiring Ancelotti while Sarri was still on the books is fairly disrespectful to Sarri himself. And how would a Neapolitan feel about being personally disrespected after he'd given them 3 good years of good work?

I'm sure he would have had other offers in Italy, he's a good manager and he's proven it in the Serie A. But he's also been given an offer to manage a very good Juve side, that's probably far more attractive than any other realistic offer any other Italian club could make.

I think there would've been more respect in taking on an AC Milan or an Internazionale. He could've taken his pick of jobs in Italy to be honest.

I will personally find it interesting to see what he does with Juve. I don't like them much but then again I don't hate them at all. But friends and my wife's family in Naples aren't going to be happy at all and will let him know when he visits the San Paolo.

All the stuff about his mum and dad and the fact he misses home is something I totally understand. There's also the issue surrounding his treatment at Chelsea from the fans because he won't give a damn about how the club in general treated him or Abramović because as you mentioned, he was employed by Aurelio de Laurentiis and that's one of the most difficult things to do in football. The guy has no respect for anybody. But, he did take Napoli out of a terribke state and the fans there will never turn against him even if they do grumble about the sort of person he is.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Spike said:

He didn't have the bottle. It is an arguement of personality and drive for McEachran not Chelsea's failings. When he first broke through he was given all the chances in the world but couldn't hack it at Chelsea or most other clubs. To compare him with other players that simply haven't been given the same chances is disengenuous. If you want to examine Chelsea's actual youth graduates (not someone bought like Borini or de Bruyne) you'll find not many were given chances like McEachran.

Josh McEachran - Played 22 games, never really capitalised. Became an eternal loanee and never really clicked.

Nathan Chalobah - Should have made it but never really played after his first great loan at Watford. A true mistake by the club.

Sam Hutchinson - Played only six times but his knees exploded and was forced to retire. Admirably returned from the brink of career death to make over 100 games for Sheffield Wednesday.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek - Seemingly a first team player, injured often though.

Callum Hudson-Odoit - Breakthrough player but had a terrible injury.

Ola Aina - Sold after only three appearances.

Fikay Tomori - Eternal loanee after one game.

Dominic Solanke - One appearance and sold to Liverpool.

Michael Mancienn - Four games and was just never good enough.

Jeremie Boga - One game and an eternal loanee. Now at Sassuolo.

Tammy Abraham - Suprisingly played a lot during his loans and capped by England, surely a player next season?

John Swift - Two games and now a starter for Reading.

Dujon Sterling - Two games and on his first loan.

George Saville, Andy King, Mason Mount, are a few that come to mind that have never played for Chelsea.

What about Thorgen Hazard? 

• Administrator

I should have been more specific. I wasn’t constraining my point to youth players produced at Chelsea, but also to include young players they bought with the purpose of farming out. The conveyor belt of cash. 

• Subscriber

Can't blame him, he'll go and win the league in his home country and have a shot at the Champions League instead of battling the constant being undermined by the board and players at Chelsea whilst also trying to implement a new style of football with a squad that doesn't really lend itself to doing so and a transfer ban keeping him from doing anything about it.

Archived