talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Workplace Humour

football forum

For those that have, and still work in and around a lot of people on a day to day basis I am just curious about what levels of workplace humour you have experienced in your time??

Personally I have always enjoyed a humorous environment in the workplace, sometimes the toughest jobs can be got through by having a bit of a crack on the job... Going back to my early years of working It was common to get 'set up' by your work mates while working a new job just so they could have a good laugh at your expense.. like sending you to the stock cupboard to look for tins of 'elbow grease' or 'tartan paint' or being sent down the shop for a 'long weight' etc.. all of which I in turn passed on to the young and naive under my control... such was your own keenness to make an impression that when someone gave you an instruction you were so quick off the block to get it done you never stopped to think about what you were actually doing.. they would always do it when you were in a rush to get things finished ... all to someones great amusement.. For me it was all part of growing up and learning and becoming part of a team, a test if you like, to see if you actually have a sense of humour in the first place or in fact you are as thick as 2 short planks... 

The reason I ask is because I was asked to give a trial to someone new in my department and as with all newbies they are prone to making mistakes, but this bloke made a couple of big gaffs which has greatly amused the rest of us... We work in a high care environment which means no eating,drinking etc on the job and despite having an induction which should have covered all the do's and don'ts he boldly rocked up with a can of drink in the department and started swigging away on it between doing his job.. a big no no! so he was duly told to not do it again, despite this he was sitting in the office on Friday and bold as brass pulls out a handful of sweets from his jacket and shouts 'anyone want a sweet??' 

To be clear both of these gaffs are dismissible offences  so had to tell him again about the rules but he did make the rest of the team laugh and they decided to nickname him 'Dr Pepper' as a result.. well he came to me later in the evening complaining that he was not happy that they were laughing at him and I told him to lighten up a bit, it's all part of being in a team and just  bit of fun and that no-one in that team including myself has not had the piss taken out of them at some point or another for messing up.. anyway, he seemed to be in a sulk and then failed to turn in for work on Saturday, he made no contact and failed to phone the absence line so using my super deductive powers and experience my guess would be he will not be returning... xD

I appreciate that there is a world of difference between someone being picked on consistently and actually having something concrete to moan about but to walk out of a job over something so daft like that I just can't fathom... Just as well though, if he buckles after something like that he is far too fragile an individual to last the course in my department... 

Anyone else ever felt the need to walk out of a job over anything similar in their time or did you just laugh the daft stuff off?? 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

like sending you to the stock cupboard to look for tins of 'elbow grease' or 'tartan paint' or being sent down the shop for 'long weight' etc.

Lol, that goes back to my army days when we were in the barracks compound cleaning vehicles and winding up new recruits, as I was in a missile regiment there were parts of the missile that you were taught (which I can't mention in here on an open post as it is classified) so one recruit we sent him off to the QM's depot and told him we needed a Long Weight, he did and the QM told him "Ok just wait there..." he did outside the office door for a fucking hour and we had to call him back.

Another one was sending a recruit to the QM's and ask for a bubble for a spirit level or a bucket full of blue water, they all fell for it xD

• Subscriber

It sounds like he needs to grow a pair...

The last office I worked at we had a big team of around 30-40 people and we used to take the piss out of each other all the time; not to mention silly practical jokes. Sure it's important not to take it too far though and there's a difference between lighthearted fun and being plain mean.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

It sounds like he needs to grow a pair...

This, pretty much!

And as you say, @Bluewolf, if he can't handle minor stuff like that, he won't last long in many workplaces without understanding there's gonna have to be sense of humour. 

Humour in the workplace is a must - but you have to understand there's a time and a place for a joke or humorous comment(s). Don't do it in a boardroom when you've all been told you're about to be redundant. And when you're in a big or small team, you eventually learn about what's acceptable or not by testing the waters (not straight in with some hard-hitting cancer joke, mind xD). 

Never had the feeling where I've had to walk out of a job because someone made a bad comment or I couldn't take a joke. Gotta laugh it off at the end of the day (a lot dependent on what's said though to be fair). 

• Subscriber

When I was doing some security work the desk which was in a big Atrium Foyer and any noise would echo around, this particular evening I heard an almighty scream that came down from the lift shaft and I wondered what the fuck was going on until one of the cleaners on the back shift came down in the lift and was pissing himself laughing.

On all the 6 levels in the building, there was a cleaning cupboard situated inside the disabled toilets, well we had a Chinese cleaner who could only speak broken English and apparently, the cleaning supervisor had hidden inside the cleaning cupboard with the light off and when David the Chinese cleaner went into the cupboard to get some cleaning material John had jumped out when he opened the door and scared shite out of him  and said to John "Flucking hells, you blistard, you glave me a flight"  xD  

I'm the office WUM, love a practical joke. I think I nearly drove a co-worker to a mental break down by constantly switching the ink inside his pens around (red ink to blue pen,  blue ink to green pen, etc). On the flip side I fell asleep at work once and have never lived it down.

9 minutes ago, Dr Boris Gobshite said:

I'm the office WUM, love a practical joke. I think I nearly drove a co-worker to a mental break down by constantly switching the ink inside his pens around (red ink to blue pen,  blue ink to green pen, etc). On the flip side I fell asleep at work once and have never lived it down.

Done the same. What made it worse was my role at the time was data inputting and I nodded off with my hand on the keyboard. If you remember on some software, hitting the max character length for a field would make a 'ding' sound to indicate that no further characters could be entered.

Simply put, my PC was constantly going 'ding ding ding ding ding' due to this and my colleague whacked me as hard as she could to wake me up as my manager was coming across wondering what the noise was. 

Welcome back btw.

1 hour ago, Dr Boris Gobshite said:

On the flip side I fell asleep at work once and have never lived it down.

About 2 years ago we started a 'schoolboy error' photo gallery on the PC in the office so every time something went horribly wrong we would take a picture of it and made a league table out of it... at the end of every month we would download all the photos from our phones and update the list to see who was the worst offender... 

Last year just about an hour after giving someone a lecture on the correct use of the Forklifts I had to take a pallet of trays from one site to the other across the road and as it was raining quite hard I decided to use the diesel truck instead of the electric truck and as I was pulling out of the yard the stack started wobbling and I put the brakes on and watched as the whole fucking stack rocked forward and spilled across the whole road... 420 plastic trays I had to pick up in the pissing rain and it was worse because I had blocked the traffic from getting through.. First thing I did was look up at all the windows to both our sites and could see all the people in the offices laughing their arses off... my lot of course come rushing out and started taking pictures and filming it... xD

There’s a fine line between joking and bullying. 

But, in our office we have a laugh the best we can. Principals been photoshopped into various items of clothing and we’ve stuck the pictures up on the fans - last year and they’re still there.

oh for the UK based people, a fan is something to help cool you down. They can be attached to the ceiling. 

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Toinho said:

There’s a fine line between joking and bullying. 

But, in our office we have a laugh the best we can. Principals been photoshopped into various items of clothing and we’ve stuck the pictures up on the fans - last year and they’re still there.

oh for the UK based people, a fan is something to help cool you down. They can be attached to the ceiling. 

Why would UK people not know what a fan is xD

• Subscriber

I can remember years back when I was working in a factory with my brother-in-law who was the foreman, we had this guy that was bringing mince pies in and putting them in his locker and the lockers we had then had no keys as we all trusted each other.

This guy came up to me in the afternoon and said "Some cunt and has nicked a couple of my mince pies from my locker the bastard", this went on for a couple of days and his pies kept going missing so one day before he came to work he took the tops off of the pies, removed all the mince, replaced it with hot chilli sauce and mustard and put the tops back on, came into work and stuck the pies into his locker.

I have never laughed so much in my life as it was my brother-in-law that was pinching the pies because around 10 o clock he came rushing out the locker area holding his throat and legged it to the nearest water tap and started to drink gallons of water, he never pinched anything else from someone's locker again. 

• Subscriber

I can't imagine working in an office without a little bit of humour and banter. It definitely does help you through the day. The on-going fun at the moment is that whenever we create a sweepstake such as the Womens World Cup, we always assign 'Janet' a fake country who isn't even in it. We are keeping her entry fee aside and she can have all of her money back once she finally realises. She's rooting for the Isle of Wight to win the WWC.

• Subscriber

I've got something serious going on at the minute involving 'banter' getting out of hand. I had to send someone home but now a different guy is suspended.

People who can give it but not take it are the worst. 

Was at the bank for nearly 10 years, open office around 125 people split into teams of between 15 and 30. From day 1 my team was always the best to be on, constant piss taking and dirty talk with the women. To ve honest the over 50 women tend to be the rudest lol. 

To he honest I use to get pulled into the office twice a week sometimes each day. But female managers had a soft spot for me so it allowed me to get away with murder lol.

6 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

I've got something serious going on at the minute involving 'banter' getting out of hand. I had to send someone home but now a different guy is suspended.

People who can give it but not take it are the worst. 

These people are right mard arses, give it out all the time but the rare time they get it back, they spit their dummies out. Some of these tend to be office bullies, who grass and snitch on people.

1 minute ago, MUFC said:

These people are right mard arses, give it out all the time but the rare time they get it back, they spit their dummies out. Some of these tend to be office bullies, who grass and snitch on people.

Anyone who can dish it out at the workplace, but can't take it, imo, is an office bully.

In one week I was responsible for £1400 worth of damage in the office. My colleague brought a chocolate bar from tge vending machine, it got stuck and he said leave it. I told him if we tilted it that it would cone out, we tipped it but I was crouched down and I fell back. My end knocked 4 bins over and pushed a board off the wall which ripped loads of plaster off the wall. I just lay on the floor in stitches. Few days later we had a pick up for boxes, which were getting sent to storage. I didn't realize the security door was locked but not locked properly. There was a gap making it looked open and unlocked, pushed it so hard the top half of the door came of its hinges but the bottom half was still screwed on. Happy good days.

Archived