talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Birth Order

football forum

birth-order-personality.jpg

I was First Born and the list is fairly accurate to be honest.. not so much with the Bossy or Controlling, be a Boss when you need to be and Control what needs controlling but not all the time... pretty easy going most of the time.. 

And You???? 

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
22 minutes ago, nudge said:

Don't think I'm manipulative; the rest is fairly accurate...

Same. Or attention-seeking or outgoing.

I'd say everyone has a bit of self-centred nature to them. No-one is truly selfless. 

Not sure all the descriptions are be all and end all, mind. You can be a first-born and still be any one of the others and vice versa for the rest of them...

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Same. Or attention-seeking or outgoing.

I'd say everyone has a bit of self-centred nature to them. No-one is truly selfless. 

Not sure all the descriptions are be all and end all, mind. You can be a first-born and still be any one of the others and vice versa for the rest of them...

Ha things like that are pretty much pop-science and just a bit of fun... as for actual research, there's no significant effect of birth order on personality although it's likely that there might be a link between it and certain behavioural trends.

I think it was Alfred Adler who suggested that if the age gap between the children is five years or more, those categories do not apply anymore and each of them might as well be considered as firstborn or the only child.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, nudge said:

I think it was Alfred Adler who suggested that if the age gap between the children is five years or more, those categories do not apply anymore and each of them might as well be considered as firstborn or the only child.

This now has me searching for the research paper to see why this is potentially true. Is it just that the gap is so wide that parents resort to using initial behavior with the younger offspring or that the older sibling has a more controlled approach to the younger one?

For anyone that is interested in reading it or getting started on Personality psyche - https://sites.google.com/site/psychologyofpersonalityperiod8/home/psychodynamic-theories/adler-s-personality-theory

• Subscriber

'Can be rebellious'

Maybe stubborn as my wife and daughter would say but not rebellious, if my mind is set on something then it stays that way, I don't like Birthdays and I could not care less if I receive a Birthday card or not and as for celebrations on my Birthday then it's a big NO from me, a few cards and maybe a couple of presents from the grandsons will make my day at the given time.  

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

This now has me searching for the research paper to see why this is potentially true. Is it just that the gap is so wide that parents resort to using initial behavior with the younger offspring or that the older sibling has a more controlled approach to the younger one?

For anyone that is interested in reading it or getting started on Personality psyche - https://sites.google.com/site/psychologyofpersonalityperiod8/home/psychodynamic-theories/adler-s-personality-theory

Adler and his theories were a part of the curriculum at uni but that was years ago and definitely not very in-depth so no idea... But I'd guess that it's both as a significant sibling spacing surely influences the relationship dynamics as well as parental behaviour towards the offspring. Granted I personally don't think that it's true (5 year age gap as a cutoff). 

I only liked Adler because he seemed more normal than Freud haha.

4 hours ago, nudge said:

Ha things like that are pretty much pop-science and just a bit of fun... as for actual research, there's no significant effect of birth order on personality although it's likely that there might be a link between it and certain behavioural trends.

So I'm an only child then!

Sister is 39, I'm 33, and my youngest sister is 9. 

Adaptive and independent - True

People pleasure - Hell no, my parents weren't exactly the greatest at encouraging/appretiate when i did things at school i.e winning competitions, sports. That left a mark on me don't care about anyone else at all now. 

Can be rebellious - Who isn't ?

Feels left out - True and I'm really sometimes 

Peacemaker and Social - peacemaker when it comes to family and close friends and though i can confidently say I'm popular in my social circles but i consider myself unsocial for the most part

I'm a middle child, don't know how I feel about their description not sure if it's 100% accurate. And the ones that are are general traits that people always want to see in themselves... so that doesn't really mean much

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Freud > Fraud?  :eek:

It's more complicated than that but more or less yes. He did contribute to 20th century thought and psychology/psychiatry significantly, but essentially most of his work and theories are just non-falsifiable pseudoscience.

• Subscriber

Am first born but I 100% ain't bossy, controlling or cautious. I think they create a list knowing you will have a few of the attributes, and the odd person may have most or all of them.

Archived