talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I think Canada can upset Sweden even if they rested their players in the last match against the US. The rest seem on-point. I really wanted Japan to do better but they are a terribly young team at this WC. If they persist with having Yugasawa up front and then having the MF work a bit higher up they might get some joy but I think the Dutch will be too strong.

A lot of interesting match ups. Obviously the big one that'll be talked about is the fact that unless a miracle happens, France and USA will play in the quarter-finals. 

We are ranked higher than Norway but as I’ve mentioned in other topics - recent change of coach and some injuries pre World Cup sees me think our journey may end against the Norwegians.

yeah Sweden v Canada should be a tight one 

Horrible refereeing and the VAR was hit and miss I thought. Not sure we should’ve been given a red. Yellow for sure, in my book. Game was lost after thst and Norway took over and deserved the win from there on in.

• Subscriber

England leading Cameroon 2-0. Second goal was flagged offside but then given by VAR. I thought her shoulder was offside but there was nothing in it. Cameroon players now kicking off because they've shown it on the screen in the stadium and they think she was offside. In reality though, England have dominated anyway and Cameroon have barely threatened at all.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

England leading Cameroon 2-0. Second goal was flagged offside but then given by VAR. I thought her shoulder was offside but there was nothing in it. Cameroon players now kicking off because they've shown it on the screen in the stadium and they think she was offside. In reality though, England have dominated anyway and Cameroon have barely threatened at all.

Cameroon now accusing FIFA of racism apparently in half-time break xD 

Ridiculous.

Cameroon should have had a couple of players potentially sent off too for elbows to the face/spitting. Not sure why VAR didn't catch those.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Cameroon now accusing FIFA of racism apparently in half-time break xD 

Ridiculous.

Cameroon should have had a couple of players potentially sent off too for elbows to the face/spitting. Not sure why VAR didn't catch those.

I don't know about racism but I am in favour of some of these players boycotting games because of VAR (thats what I've been reading anyways). Here and in the Copa America it's been a mess. 3 years of technology and no improvement has been shown.

If it was used like in the World Cup, perhaps it can be excused. It is being overused though for such fringe rules. The players do not look happy with this technology.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

I don't know about racism but I am in favour of some of these players boycotting games because of VAR (thats what I've been reading anyways). Here and in the Copa America it's been a mess. 3 years of technology and no improvement has been shown.

If it was used like in the World Cup, perhaps it can be excused. It is being overused though for such fringe rules. The players do not look happy with this technology.

Boycotting a game because the rules were followed? Nah, bore off with that :)

VAR got the decision right. Yes it has been overused in this tournament but Cameroon should be thankful that VAR has not picked up on other incidents in that first half. The goal was reviewed and correctly over-turned. They need to grow up, get on with it and move on with the game. The time-wasting from them, and the referees inability to control it, was more embarrassing. 

Just now, Stan said:

Boycotting a game because the rules were followed? Nah, bore off with that :)

VAR got the decision right. Yes it has been overused in this tournament but Cameroon should be thankful that VAR has not picked up on other incidents in that first half. The goal was reviewed and correctly over-turned. They need to grow up, get on with it and move on with the game. The time-wasting from them, and the referees inability to control it, was more embarrassing. 

I only care about justice if it is used for clear and obvious errors, not the fringe rules that no one has heard about. The players have already come out in protest that they don't have a clue what goes on when the referee takes 5 minutes to talk to the assistant.

If you overuse it, the flow of the game is killed and that's why we fell in love with the sport. I certainly didn't fall in love football because the right decision was being made.

I didn't see this particular issue so not sure how clear and obvious it is, but in the Copa for example it's been used for the smallest errors.

• Administrator
Just now, Grizzly21 said:

I didn't see this particular issue so not sure how clear and obvious it is, but in the Copa for example it's been used for the smallest errors.

Okay, but leave that in the Copa America section.

I'm on about this incident in this tournament which you've not even seen so no point debating it any more. Not that there is a debate anyway regarding this match.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Okay, but leave that in the Copa America section.

I'm on about this incident in this tournament which you've not even seen so no point debating it any more. Not that there is a debate anyway regarding this match.

I have heard it has been awful in the Womens World Cup too mate.

Just a year ago everyone was giving into VAR, myself included. Because it was used effectively in the World Cup, for the clear and obvious errors. What is happening in the tournaments this year is a disgrace though and to me just proves that the sport is too corrupt and run by incompetence for it to actually work consistently.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

I have heard it has been awful in the Womens World Cup too mate.

Just a year ago everyone was giving into VAR, myself included. Because it was used effectively in the World Cup, for the clear and obvious errors. What is happening in the tournaments this year is a disgrace though and to me just proves that the sport is too corrupt and run by incompetence for it to actually work consistently.

I know.

But I'm primarily talking about the incident in question (which you've not seen) and you keep going back to the general tournament usage as a defence. Not bothered about that as it's got enough airtime.

This incident in question VAR was used correctly and effectively.

Amused, but surprised, by 'woke Twitter' justifying Cameroon players' behaviour, because this match was important to them. As if the English girls, who have also trained hard from a young age, just went there to take selfies. 

Already seen couple of tweets calling Neville racist for his match response, which to be honest was spot on. The world we live in now:dam:

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Amused, but surprised, by 'woke Twitter' justifying Cameroon players' behaviour, because this match was important to them. As if the English girls, who have also trained hard from a young age, just went there to take selfies. 

Already seen couple of tweets calling Neville racist for his match response, which to be honest was spot on. The world we live in now:dam:

Seriously?!

Neville was bang on. Straight to the point and loved when asked if he had any sympathy for Cameroon his answer was 'None'. Too right! 

1 hour ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Yep, he was spot on and measured. I could have even understood if he had been angry and gone bonkers like Warnock or Mourinho, but he didn't. 

Some of the behaviour from Cameroon players was disgusting. 

Just caught up with all the drama myself, seen all the incidents and have to say Cameroon have done themselves no favours in this game.. awful does not do it justice, The ruled out goal for Cameroon for me was a harsh one I will be honest but everything else, like the tackles, spitting, claiming racism along with the excessive drama and complete over reaction was so unnecessary...  

• Administrator
Just now, Bluewolf said:

Just caught up with all the drama myself, seen all the incidents and have to say Cameroon have done themselves no favours in this game.. awful does not do it justice, The ruled out goal for Cameroon for me was a harsh one I will be honest but everything else, like the tackles, spitting, claiming racism along with the excessive drama and complete over reaction was so unnecessary...  

It was pathetic.

They let the emotion take over and totally lost their heads. Credit to England players for keeping calm and composed in the situation. Other teams could have got sucked in by Cameroon's antics but thankfully they kept their heads too.

• Subscriber

France should be up by one and Brazil are lucky that Thaisa doesn't have a card to her name too. Its odd when you consider the fact that this team is playing with some of the best club footballers for women in one team too. Think they'll win this but Brazil aren't making it easy for them.

Archived