The better place to talk football.

People worthy of the death sentence

football forum

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, tlr said:

Absolutely no one. Capital punishment is an utterly abhorrent practice.

Edit - Didn't realise this thread was so old!

Really??? I am pretty sure given a reasonable amount of thought and time we could drum up a few names worthy of the noose... Drug Cartel bosses who routinely have people murdered in the most horrible ways to protect their business interests and what about people traffickers who exploit people purely for profit without giving one flying fuck if they live or die?? mass murders?? 

Let's not kid ourselves that these people will turn over a new leaf or show remorse for their actions because we choose to lock them up for a while, these people are soulless black hearted individuals who don't give a toss about others or the pain and hurt they inflict for their own ends.. I don't say that capital punishment will ever stop serious crime because it won't and no matter if you have a death sentence around or not for the greater the reward the greater the risk people are prepared to take to gain it... 

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Really??? 

Yes, really. It's nothing but state endorsed vengeance, no matter of you're a serial killer, drug lord, genocidal tyrant, whatever. No place for it in a civilised society.

Just now, tlr said:

Yes, really. It's nothing but state endorsed vengeance, no matter of you're a serial killer, drug lord, genocidal tyrant, whatever. No place for it in a civilised society.

So it was wrong for the USA to launch a mission to kill Osama bin Laden?

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

So it was wrong for the USA to launch a mission to kill Osama bin Laden?

4 minutes ago, tlr said:

I believe he would have been more use captured alive, yes.

Will say though, there is a hell of a difference between what happens literally in the middle of a warzone in a split second and captruing someone alive and putting then through a trial.

8 minutes ago, tlr said:

Agreed, but you would need to show me where any of the above mentioned fit into any civilised society with their behaviour?? 

5 hours ago, Cicero said:

Solitary confinement for the rest of their days is much worse than a quick easy way out death. 

It's very high cost though. And it means many prison staff being exposed to this deranged maniac for many years.

I'm not sure where I stand on the death penalty tbh. In the cases you'd imagine it being used, i.e. rare cases of absolutely indisputable guilt I'd have to say it doesn't trouble me greatly and there are bigger problems in the world.

However the government having the right to condemn a person to death is troubling, particularly in the era of trump where the outright dishonesty of the politicians is so profound and the courts are so politicised.... These are not people I'd trust with that right and they are not worthy of gaining any extra powers...

I'm generally against capitol punishment in almost every regard. And I agree that theoretically, keeping someone behind bars for the rest of their lives seems a far better punishment/deterrent than killing someone.

At the same time, I can understand killing child molesters. I don't think there's any rehabilitating them.

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

It's very high cost though. And it means many prison staff being exposed to this deranged maniac for many years.

I thought putting someone to death is actually more expensive than confinement? 

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

At the same time, I can understand killing child molesters. I don't think there's any rehabilitating them.

Couldn't you put forward a similar argument for mass murderers though?? 

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I would like to see the data behind that if there is any, I would struggle to see how a one off execution would amount to the same cost as keeping them incarcerated for 20 or 30 years

26 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I'm not sure. My guess is there's a piece of truth there combined with a bit of wanting it to be true.

Like the claim that wind turbines are so energy intensive in manufacturing that it takes the majority of their operating life just to offset the emissions from their own construction.... People who are naturally pro coal will want to believe it and therefore will be happy to take it at face value

I'll bet a trial or two were so disputed, or some democratic controlled states layered the process with so many rounds of legal appeals that it was true in an instance or became true via their changes.

26 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Couldn't you put forward a similar argument for mass murderers though?? 

Maybe - but there's actually instances where murderers are rehabilitated. Granted, I don't think any of them are mass murderers. And it's from those Scandinavian countries where prison is more approached primarily from a rehabilitative aspect, punitive second. So that probably wouldn't work in most other countries because... that's generally not how we view prisons.

And from another perspective, I guess it depends on how you view kiddy fiddlers. Is it sexual for them, or is it for power? I've heard compelling arguments for both and to be honest, I've tried not to delve too far into the thoughts of pedos because... they're fucking disgusting people. But if it's a case of sexuality and they're simply just attracted to children... I'm just not sure that can ever be rehabilitated. By the same token though, I'm not sure you can rehabilitate sociopaths - and I imagine most mass murderers (if not murderers) are sociopaths.

At the same time, I still think that in civilised society the death penalty shouldn't be used - regardless of how I might feel about whether or not pedos/mass murderers can be rehabilitated.

My problem is some of the conditions these absolutely evil cunts get kept in. I wouldn’t bat an eyelid if rapists, Child molesters, serial killers etc were put through absolute agony. They don’t deserve our time or money to live peacefully. Sure, the mental health side of things of being in prison the rest of their life would make us normal go crazy, but these people aren’t normal. 

My issue with the death penalty is 1) we need to be beyond reasonable doubt they’re guilty (I know they should be but sometimes law gets it wrong) and 2) it’s too quick. Slow would be better right...

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Maybe - but there's actually instances where murderers are rehabilitated. Granted, I don't think any of them are mass murderers. And it's from those Scandinavian countries where prison is more approached primarily from a rehabilitative aspect, punitive second. So that probably wouldn't work in most other countries because... that's generally not how we view prisons.

And from another perspective, I guess it depends on how you view kiddy fiddlers. Is it sexual for them, or is it for power? I've heard compelling arguments for both and to be honest, I've tried not to delve too far into the thoughts of pedos because... they're fucking disgusting people. But if it's a case of sexuality and they're simply just attracted to children... I'm just not sure that can ever be rehabilitated. By the same token though, I'm not sure you can rehabilitate sociopaths - and I imagine most mass murderers (if not murderers) are sociopaths.

At the same time, I still think that in civilised society the death penalty shouldn't be used - regardless of how I might feel about whether or not pedos/mass murderers can be rehabilitated.

There’s a mad chiense Canadian bloke who cut off someone’s head on a bus and was eating the person while talking about demons or some shit. He’s now “rehabilitated” living a free life. As if I believe that, Jesus. Scary thought. 

21 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

There are a lot of cases where people can, and have been rehabilitated but in a lot of those cases they tend to be one off instances where people have shown regret for their actions and I always believe that people deserve a second chance in life so for those reasons I would not be keen on capital punishment, it would have to be used as a last resort... In an ideal world the worst case offenders would spend the rest of their lives behind bars and by life I mean life, until they die not 10-20 years only to be reduced to 15 or less for good behaviour or because they lack the space etc.. 

I couldn't say in all honesty that there is any difference in my opinion of people who commit serious crimes against children as being any different to those that commit equally horrific crimes over drugs or indeed those that go on killing sprees... 

Archived