talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sepp Van Den Berg - Liverpool To Sign Youngster

Liverpool have won the race to sign Dutch teenager Sepp van den Berg, with the defender due to undergo a medical on Wednesday ahead of a £1.79million move.

Bayern Munich and Ajax were both desperate to sign Van Den Berg, but Liverpool have convinced the Holland under-19 international to move to Anfield from PEC Zwolle.

The 17-year-old will become Liverpool’s first signing of the summer and is expected to spend next season acclimatising and learning before trying to make an impression on the first-team squad.

Van Den Berg played 16 first-team Eredivisie games for Zwolle last season and is considered one of the brightest young prospects in Dutch football.

Sampdoria failed with a £2.25m bid for him in January. But with Van den Berg due to enter the final year of his contract, Liverpool have landed him for less ahead of Bayern and Ajax

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Harry said:

It would be refreshing to have some real hot prospects on the fringes of the first team squad. It feels like it's been a while.

The thing is, we have now got ourselves into a position as a club where only top notch signings would improve our first 11. This enables us to relax in the market somewhat whilst picking up some of the best young players around. 

It's a great position to be in.

5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

The thing is, we have now got ourselves into a position as a club where only top notch signings would improve our first 11. This enables us to relax in the market somewhat whilst picking up some of the best young players around. 

It's a great position to be in.

Agreed.

Though I still think there is a significant gap to City in terms of whole squad so we should still be looking to make a key signing or two... My concern is the players will struggle to sustain the same (high) intensity under Klopp and we will need more depth in the attack next year than we got away with this year to make up for that. 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agreed.

Though I still think there is a significant gap to City in terms of whole squad so we should still be looking to make a key signing or two... My concern is the players will struggle to sustain the same (high) intensity under Klopp and we will need more depth in the attack next year than we got away with this year to make up for that. 

Yeah I can understand your worry but by all accounts Klopp rates Brewster so highly that hes willing to give a significant place in the squad to the youngster. Hopefully he has a great breakout season. 

6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yeah I can understand your worry but by all accounts Klopp rates Brewster so highly that hes willing to give a significant place in the squad to the youngster. Hopefully he has a great breakout season. 

Me too but I'd still be thinking we need an upgrade on Origi. He's a tryer but I'd like to see him on the fringes of the Matchday squad rather than first second choice frontman. 

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Me too but I'd still be thinking we need an upgrade on Origi. He's a tryer but I'd like to see him on the fringes of the Matchday squad rather than first second choice frontman. 

Imagine if with Brewster we have another Fowler/Owen on our hands?

Hes THAT highly rated!

1 hour ago, Harry said:

It would be refreshing to have some real hot prospects on the fringes of the first team squad. It feels like it's been a while.

What happened to that highly rated, Serbian central midfielder Liverpool signed a couple of seasons ago?

2 minutes ago, 6666 said:

What happened to that highly rated, Serbian central midfielder Liverpool signed a couple of seasons ago?

Grujic. He went on loan to Germany last season and his manager was raving about how much he wants to sign him. We’re either going to make a big profit on him or keep him as a squad option.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Grujic. He went on loan to Germany last season and his manager was raving about how much he wants to sign him. We’re either going to make a big profit on him or keep him as a squad option.

I'd rather us keep him. Apparently he had a great season in Germany. 

• The title was changed to Sepp Van Den Berg - Liverpool To Sign Youngster
43 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Midfield is a very crowded part of our squad which makes it tough for him. Hendo, fabinho, Gini, Keita, Ox, Milner, Shaqiri, Lallana, grujic.

9th choice for the midfield three.

It's all well and good saying "Brewster is gonna get a look in" but he's still unproven! Yes, he could end up a real gem of a player but let's not use having him in the ranks as an excuse not to strengthen this squad. As vital as some of his goals have been, Origi is still very inconsistent in terms of goals per game. We definitely need attacking players in, somebody who is gonna push our first 11 for a starting position.

27 minutes ago, Rick said:

It's all well and good saying "Brewster is gonna get a look in" but he's still unproven! Yes, he could end up a real gem of a player but let's not use having him in the ranks as an excuse not to strengthen this squad. As vital as some of his goals have been, Origi is still very inconsistent in terms of goals per game. We definitely need attacking players in, somebody who is gonna push our first 11 for a starting position.

Its Klopp that really rates him, not some internet warrior lol. 

Klopp has already said that hes confident Brewster can make the step up and I'm inclined to believe him, infact I cant wait to see how this transpires. 

Granted it's a gamble but I think it's one worth taking. 

7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Its Klopp that really rates him, not some internet warrior lol. 

Klopp has already said that hes confident Brewster can make the step up and I'm inclined to believe him, infact I cant wait to see how this transpires. 

Granted it's a gamble but I think it's one worth taking. 

Am I the internet warrior then? Any chance you can reply to anything without some snarky shit? Be nice if you could have an adult conversation. 

I'm not saying Brewster won't turn into a great player. I'm saying that we shouldn't be rely so heavily on a lad that hasn't yet had an opportunity. He might not hit the ground running. And then what? We come up JUST short of City with their bottomless squad. Yeah, that's not progress. 

We shouldn't be going into this new season with the same back ups as last. City don't stand still, so neither should we.

5 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Imagine if with Brewster we have another Fowler/Owen on our hands?

Hes THAT highly rated!

He could be, I don't know enough about him to say either way but think of what Fowler and Owen were doing at Brewster's age. They'd been in the first team for a year or two by the time they turned 19 and were two of the best strikers in the country. It's doubtful. Obviously there's different factors like the strength of the sides they're coming into and injuries but he certainly can't be compared to those two at this stage 

44 minutes ago, Rick said:

Am I the internet warrior then? Any chance you can reply to anything without some snarky shit? Be nice if you could have an adult conversation. 

I'm not saying Brewster won't turn into a great player. I'm saying that we shouldn't be rely so heavily on a lad that hasn't yet had an opportunity. He might not hit the ground running. And then what? We come up JUST short of City with their bottomless squad. Yeah, that's not progress. 

We shouldn't be going into this new season with the same back ups as last. City don't stand still, so neither should we.

I wasnt being funny mate, or being snarky lol. 

I was simply stating what Klopp has said..  That hes confident Brewster will play a big part this coming season. 

You really do take me the wrong way sometimes pal. 

I count myself as an internet warrior btw! 

7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I wasnt being funny mate, or being snarky lol. 

I was simply stating what Klopp has said..  That hes confident Brewster will play a big part this coming season. 

You really do take me the wrong way sometimes pal. 

I count myself as an internet warrior btw! 

Fair do's xoxo

44 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

He could be, I don't know enough about him to say either way but think of what Fowler and Owen were doing at Brewster's age. They'd been in the first team for a year or two by the time they turned 19 and were two of the best strikers in the country. It's doubtful. Obviously there's different factors like the strength of the sides they're coming into and injuries but he certainly can't be compared to those two at this stage 

Maybe not, all I'm saying is that Klopp really rates him. In fact after the CL final Klopp said that Brewster was the most talented youngster hed ever worked with. 

I'm happy for our manager to develop talent like that rather than spunk £50m on a good player with a dodgy knee, which some of our fans seem to want. 

I'm fine with Brewster taking Sturridges spot provided we replace Origi. Alternatively if klopp regards Brewster above origi in the pecking order id also be more comfortable with no other signings. Although that would be placing a fair bit of trust in klopp in making that judgement he's proven to be very good in this area. Not upgrading on Clyne to provide opportunity to Trent has been one of my favourite squad outcomes in a long while

20 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Apparently the lad played for the first team this season. 

@Panna King  @Panflute can you two tell us about this player? 

He is really talented player but still has a lot to learn, he really needs to stay in de Eredivisie to gain more experience. I am not sure though if Liverpool have signed him yet as Feyenoord are very keen on him. They have offered him first team football as Stam is the coach there now.  

33 minutes ago, Panna King said:

He is really talented player but still has a lot to learn, he really needs to stay in de Eredivisie to gain more experience, I am not sure though if Liverpool have signed him yet as Feyenoord are very keen on him and have offered him first team football as Stam is the coach there now.  

Apparently it's nearly done pal, medical booked in next few days by all accounts.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I know Zwolle probably don't have the best bargaining position but surely if he's as good as he apparently is they can hold out for more than not even £2m?

Might have a release clause, the same as Frenkie de Jong as Ajax only bought him for 100k from Willem II

• The topic was locked

Archived