talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Outdoors, Wilderness & Survival Skills

football forum

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I love it. I spent the whole of last weekend out in the outdoors in fact when I was fishing for the weekend. I did a full week in a tent(well a bivvy, which are better than tents) last August and I'll be doing the same again at the end of August this year. In fact, I'm off work next week and will be doing 3 days in a bivvy from Wednesday to Saturday. This isn't exactly what nudgey is referring to, although the closest you'll get in terms of living wild.

I've recently bought one of these for cooking with:-

Absolutely brilliant and easily worth the £80 I paid.

Well look at Mr. Fancypants here with all his fancy new gear :P 

Nah it looks good. Food for some reason tastes so nice when you prepare it on a campfire and eat it outdoors... A bit unrelated, but have you seen any videos of AlmazanKitchen? A Serbian lad cooks dishes on fire in the wilderness using mostly natural or homemade ingredients. Very relaxing and looks sooooo good.

26 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Depending on the part of the world you're in, you may also have to look out for tribes or rebel groups.

Luckily we don't really have anything dangerous in the UK. There are animals, that if they wanted to, could cause serious damage, although most are timid when it comes to humans.

I've seen alsorts though when fishing:- Badgers, Foxes, Deer, Adders, Grass Snakes, Slow worms, Bats, Weasels, Stoats, Hares, Mink, Voles, Mice, Rats, all type of birds of prey(Buzzard, Peregrine, Kestrel, Hobby, Sparrowhawk, Red Kite...), Tawny owls, Barn Owls, Kingfishers..obviously fish as well :ph34r:. Oh and you could add Frogs, Toads and Newts as well.

If I wasn't an angler then I may have never seen some of those animals on that list.

Most of my exposure to animals (and nature in general) comes from my childhood and teenage years when I used to spend a lot of time at my grandma's in remote countryside surrounded by thick woods. I feel seriously sorry for kids these days who grow up with little to no exposure to the wilderness...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

They would be the easiest for me... If I found a bush full of them where wildlife is in abundance in the area then I would avoid them like the plague... If they are not being eaten by the animals then they probably won't be any good to me either... I am not sure who would have the advantage really... you might die while being savaged and eaten by a Bear because the 'all round protection' tag on your sleeping bag didn't quite live up to expectation or me dying alone of starvation in a castle style rock solid Log Cabin that a Swat team would struggle to break into.... 

We could team up to improve our chances of survival B| You build the shelter and carry out most physically challenging tasks, I forage for food and cook it and keep you company so you don't go insane xD 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

We could team up to improve our chances of survival B| You build the shelter and carry out most physically challenging tasks, I forage for food and cook it and keep you company so you don't go insane xD 

Image result for deal gif

And yes I will be wearing my Green all weather survival outfit while we are out there... The bloke down the shop said he has sold hundreds of them and I believe him because.... I am easily led as you know.. B|

1 hour ago, nudge said:

On the first day you would go out foraging for supplies and when you got back I could say I have made a start on the shelter how did you do??? 

Image result for log cabins in the woods

You will probably come back with four berries a mushroom and a dead frog or something... xD 

• Subscriber

Also forgot to post the link to one of my favourite channels; Primitive Technology. It's more "paleo skills" as he only uses tools and resources found in nature without utilising any modern technology. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL3JXZSzSm8AlZyD3nQdBA/about

The man's like a wizard to me; he builds everything from scratch - shelters, weapons, pottery, tools and machines, traps, etc. Don't forget to turn on the subtitles though as he doesn't waffle at all and all explanations are in the subs!

29 minutes ago, nudge said:

Well look at Mr. Fancypants here with all his fancy new gear :P 

Nah it looks good. Food for some reason tastes so nice when you prepare it on a campfire and eat it outdoors... A bit unrelated, but have you seen any videos of AlmazanKitchen? A Serbian lad cooks dishes on fire in the wilderness using mostly natural or homemade ingredients. Very relaxing and looks sooooo good.

Most of my exposure to animals (and nature in general) comes from my childhood and teenage years when I used to spend a lot of time at my grandma's in remote countryside surrounded by thick woods. I feel seriously sorry for kids these days who grow up with little to no exposure to the wilderness...

Food cooked on a stove or a Barbecue can't be beaten. I may have to take some tips from that video as the chicken looks amazing.

The stove I've got is brilliant and you can even cook on uneven surfaces due to the interchangeable legs on it.

I've always loved wildlife and exploring mad places. The best part about school, for example, was visiting nature reserves, visiting forests, or a place called Great tower which is up in the Lake district and we stayed for a few days.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

On the first day you would go out foraging for supplies and when you got back I could say I have made a start on the shelter how did you do??? 

Image result for log cabins in the woods

You will probably come back with four berries a mushroom and a dead frog or something... xD 

I love how you decided to leave the roof open so we can enjoy starry night; so romantic xD 

Hope you like mushrooms more than dead frogs xD 

tiek-baravyku-t-auguliene-su-vyru-pririn

• Subscriber
58 minutes ago, nudge said:

This is what modern society calls ... Marriage :)

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, nudge said:

Good stuff.

Have you ever tried setting up a moisture track in a desert? I've read it should generate about a cup of water an hour which sounds great tbh.

I've seen them done on arid treks in mountains never done one in the desert but the logic still applies. I think in those climates to take advantage of root systems you dont put the plants in a burrow but actually use something to trap the moisture like a plastic covering or something of the sort. But it does work and the other trick is to use condensation from metal canisters to collect vapor as well. I can't remember the company because all I can think of is Camelpak right now but they do something similar with their water bags for desert trekking.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

This is what modern society calls ... Marriage :)

Nah I believe that's what traditional society used to call marriage. Nowadays you both work overtime to pay your rent or mortgage and you're both too exhausted to cook so you order a pizza delivery xD 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Nah I believe that's what traditional society used to call marriage. Nowadays you both work overtime to pay your rent or mortgage and you're both too exhausted to cook so you order a pizza delivery xD 

Okay okay. A Darwinian Marriage. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I love it. I spent the whole of last weekend out in the outdoors in fact when I was fishing for the weekend. I did a full week in a tent(well a bivvy, which are better than tents) last August and I'll be doing the same again at the end of August this year. In fact, I'm off work next week and will be doing 3 days in a bivvy from Wednesday to Saturday. This isn't exactly what nudgey is referring to, although the closest you'll get in terms of living wild.

I've recently bought one of these for cooking with:-

Absolutely brilliant and easily worth the £80 I paid.

did you use the connect stove for the whole week you were out in the wild? I have always struggled with having the traditional ones we use here so this might be a good long term investment.

53 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

did you use the connect stove for the whole week you were out in the wild? I have always struggled with having the traditional ones we use here so this might be a good long term investment.

I never had it then but used another stove(which was nowhere near as good) and that did the trick, so this would certainly work, as long as you have enough gas with you of course. Gas seems to last me ages though.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I never had it then but used another stove(which was nowhere near as good) and that did the trick, so this would certainly work, as long as you have enough gas with you of course. Gas seems to last me ages though.

I'd imagine it should (gas that is). I can't imagine myself doing too much cooking on something like this just a light morning breakfast then something in the evening really but the rest of the time I'd be fine without it. The thing that gets me the most about it is how the points connect up to the device and heat things evenly which is such a blessing.

1 hour ago, Stick With Azeem said:

Does pretending dead works with bears ?

I think running as fast as possible in the opposite direction to the bear might work better for your survival chances.... not sure playing dead will work when it can still smell your fear and that mess you probably just made in your pants... 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stick With Azeem said:

Running away isn't a great option either, probably try to scare it with fire or something 

Loud noises generally work as well but yeah running away is a tough one unless you think you can outrun it in its natural habitat. 

Archived