talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

João Félix

• Subscriber

1456474200_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.4ca25e419f9caa871356306c21b3f81a.png

Joao Felix: Benfica considering a £112.9m offer from Atletico Madrid for Portuguese teenager

Benfica have said they are considering an offer of 126m euros (£112.9m) from Atletico Madrid for Portuguese forward Joao Felix.

The offer is above the 19-year-old's 120m euro release clause, but the La Liga club wants to pay in instalments.

Felix's transfer would be the fifth most expensive in history behind Neymar, Kylian Mbappe, Philippe Coutinho and Ousmane Dembele.

He made his senior debut in August and scored 15 goals last season.

Felix would also become the second-most expensive teenager following the 180m euros paid to Monaco by Paris St-Germain for forward Mbappe in 2018.

"Atletico Madrid submitted a proposal for the acquisition of [Felix] for a total amount of 126,000,000 euros which is being analysed," Benfica said, in a statement to the Portuguese stock market.

The former Porto youth player made his international debut against Switzerland in the Nations League semi-final this month.

He scored a hat-trick against Eintracht Frankfurt in the Europa League in April, becoming the youngest Benfica player and the youngest Portuguese footballer to score three goals in Europe and the youngest player ever to do so in the Europa League.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48778599

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, SirBalon said:

What do you think about this signing and the amount with this kid?

Some of the stuff I've seen him do has left me with my mouth open for such a young kid.

I do not really know the player. 

From the scarce highlights I have seen, virguero, refreshingly old school, everything comes easy to him, smaller and less athletic than Morata. How he physically matures and how effective his game "outside the box" (despite showing sparks of brilliance) can be at the higher level might be his question marks? He looks very poised inside the box. But €126M... you know...

That´s a great piece of business by Benfica. And it also makes sense for Atleti. If they feel João Félix is a can´t-miss player, this is the right time to go for him, with City having problems to balance their books, Chelsea punished, United on a rebuild... Who knows when they´ll have the chance to attract a great young player again.

I enjoyed every minute of seeing him play for us, but let's be honest, La Liga and Atletico will be more demanding in every way, and I still think the money is ridiculous for someone who has only played 6 months of first team football.

I'm worried he might turn out to be a huge flop :7_sweat_smile:

5 minutes ago, Machado said:

I enjoyed every minute of seeing him play for us, but let's be honest, La Liga and Atletico will be more demanding in every way, and I still think the money is ridiculous for someone who has only played 6 months of first team football.

I think people were enthralled with Jovic, and when they played Benfica, and Joao doing what he did...I figured he'd be leaving soon. On that kind of stage, with a lot of people watching because of SOMEONE ELSE, and he was just magical. 

Wish him nothing but the best. 

• The title was changed to João Félix Completes Move to Atletico de Madrid

I want to say good luck to the lad, because I want him to have a great career. His highlight reel (and I know this is true of a lot of highlight reels) make him look like one hell of a fucking player. But at the same time Simeone's Atletico is painful to watch, so it's hard to wish them well.

On 28/06/2019 at 11:45, Machado said:

I would be too. He just looks so young, and the price paid will bring tremendous pressure. Talent is 50% of the equation at that age. A huge question is mental fortitude and whilst that can develop over time a huge price tag and move abroad really makes it into a sink or swim moment.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I would be too. He just looks so young, and the price paid will bring tremendous pressure. Talent is 50% of the equation at that age. A huge question is mental fortitude and whilst that can develop over time a huge price tag and move abroad really makes it into a sink or swim moment.

This doesn't count as your typical move abroad where it concerns Portugal and Spain. Both Spanish players that move to Portugal and Portuguese players that move to Spain tend to find it all quite seamless in the grand majority of cases. There is no culture shock as the culture is very very similar and we're talking about continuing to play in the Iberian Peninsula.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

This doesn't count as your typical move abroad where it concerns Portugal and Spain. Both Spanish players that move to Portugal and Portuguese players that move to Spain tend to find it all quite seamless in the grand majority of cases. There is no culture shock as the culture is very very similar and we're talking about continuing to play in the Iberian Peninsula.

Doesn’t discount the pressure from being that expensive though 

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Doesn’t discount the pressure from being that expensive though 

Agreed. I probably didn't make that clear but it was the main point I was trying to make.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.4fdc39a103a288886b5b65623ca92e66.png

Joao Felix: The Portuguese wonderkid who has been called the most exciting player since Cristiano Ronaldo

Joao Felix is now the second most expensive teenager of all time having joined Atletico Madrid from Benfica for 126m euros (£113m).

He has also been called the most exciting Portuguese player since Cristiano Ronaldo.

The 19-year-old forward only made his senior debut for Benfica at the start of the 2018-19 season but scored 15 goals and made nine assists in the Primeira Liga as his club won the title.

He scored a hat-trick against Eintracht Frankfurt in the Europa League in April, becoming the youngest Benfica player and the youngest Portuguese footballer to score three goals in Europe and the youngest player ever to do so in the competition.

His scintillating form earned him a call-up to the senior Portugal squad and unsurprisingly saw him linked to the likes of Manchester United and Manchester City before Atletico swooped, making him the second most expensive teenager behind Paris St-Germain's Kylian Mbappe.

"Bernardo Silva is one of the best players in the world at this moment," former Swansea boss Carlos Carvalhal told BBC Sport. "But at 19, he did not show the talent that Felix is showing in this moment at 19 - so imagine what kind of player we are talking about."

MORE

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I watched highlights of the game, he was very very direct and committed defenders. It seemed he was playing just behind the two forwards, he was very effective there too. He will leave Trippier exposed though. I wonder whether Simeone will shift to a 4-3-1

1 hour ago, Batard said:

I watched highlights of the game, he was very very direct and committed defenders. It seemed he was playing just behind the two forwards, he was very effective there too. He will leave Trippier exposed though. I wonder whether Simeone will shift to a 4-3-1

It'll be interesting to see what Simeone does do either way as it's all pretty much a brand new side. They have a lot of new players in that squad this year.

Speaking of Diego Costa, I didn't realise he was sent off as well :lol:

Gets 4 goals, then receives a red card, only to make it even worse by squaring up to Carvajal, who to be honest behaved even worse himself . Only Costa.

6 hours ago, SirBalon said:

João Félix looks authentic... He looks the business! This kid is going to be top notch. 

Calm your tits. Don't jinx it. I am sure you watched the mythical game of Robinho against Cádiz, where he looked like a god. :ph34r:

It's only pre-season and it was obviously a friendly, but João Félix scored two goals in Atlético Madrid's 2-1 victory over Juventus and it wasn't just the goals, it was his overall performance as he's been showing throughout pre-season. He is Atleti's new Paolo Futre!

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

It's only pre-season and it was obviously a friendly, but João Félix scored two goals in Atlético Madrid's 2-1 victory over Juventus and it wasn't just the goals, it was his overall performance as he's been showing throughout pre-season. He is Atleti's new Paolo Futre!

Atletico look like the real deal this season too. Hope they can make things happen and actually win something!

Archived