talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FIFA Women's World Cup - Semi-Finals

• Subscriber

After a terribly entertaining quater-finals I think it safe to say that the teams everyone expected to get this far in the tournament have now reached the semis.

First up its England vs USA followed by the Netherlands vs Sweden.

Still think the winner of the first semi will lift the cup in the end but both of those teams have been on fire in this tournament so anything could happen.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never given a shit about women’s football ever, sorry if that makes me a twat.

This is the most excited I’ve ever been about an England team possibly winning a match. I don’t know if it’s because I’m living in America and I’m just bitter as fuck and want to go home but the money is too good, or if it’s because of that match against Thailand, or I really have no idea. But holy fuck England, please fucking win. At least for as long as I’m here, please England just fucking always beat America in whatever we’re playing them in.

On 30/06/2019 at 07:54, Mel81x said:

After a terribly entertaining quater-finals I think it safe to say that the teams everyone expected to get this far in the tournament have now reached the semis.

Still think the winner of the first semi will lift the cup in the end but both of those teams have been on fire in this tournament so anything could happen.

We will win it :D 

On 30/06/2019 at 02:54, Mel81x said:

No way. Germany are #2 in the world. Canada is a top team that are out, as are France. 

I picked a Dutch vs USA final, but Sweden surprise the hell out of me. 

As for the US, I feel much better about playing England than I did about playing France. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Eco said:

No way. Germany are #2 in the world. Canada is a top team that are out, as are France. 

I picked a Dutch vs USA final, but Sweden surprise the hell out of me. 

As for the US, I feel much better about playing England than I did about playing France. 

I think we can all agree that when it comes to tournaments of any nature that ranking immediately gets thrown out the window these days. Just because a team is #X in the world doesn't necessarily mean they are going to go the distance. I don't think any of the semi-finalists really overran their opponents in the prior knockout rounds with the exception of England who even struggled for a bit against Norway. Even the Italians missed some chances to get back in the game and didn't really get blown away by the Dutch. 

FYI I thought France could have beaten the US because their midfield is a better one from a creativity standpoint but that first goal totally knocked them off their guard. It was all recovery post that.

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I think we can all agree that when it comes to tournaments of any nature that ranking immediately gets thrown out the window these days. Just because a team is #X in the world doesn't necessarily mean they are going to go the distance. I don't think any of the semi-finalists really overran their opponents in the prior knockout rounds with the exception of England who even struggled for a bit against Norway. Even the Italians missed some chances to get back in the game and didn't really get blown away by the Dutch. 

FYI I thought France could have beaten the US because their midfield is a better one from a creativity standpoint but that first goal totally knocked them off their guard. It was all recovery post that.

I agree that ranking rarely mean anything, but Germany are elite, but just got stuck against a good Sweden team. Truth is, France worried me because of their height and defense. I was afraid if they had scored first they might have won. 

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Eco said:

I agree that ranking rarely mean anything, but Germany are elite, but just got stuck against a good Sweden team. Truth is, France worried me because of their height and defense. I was afraid if they had scored first they might have won. 

Yeah and with the way they almost recovered after the goal I thought they were going to score next. They have a very fast moving wing system and like I said in another thread they have one of the best midfielders in women's football imo right now. I think we're going to see another great game when you'll play England as well and with the way games have gone its still my belief that the winner of your semi-final will lift the cup. 

13 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Yeah and with the way they almost recovered after the goal I thought they were going to score next. They have a very fast moving wing system and like I said in another thread they have one of the best midfielders in women's football imo right now. I think we're going to see another great game when you'll play England as well and with the way games have gone its still my belief that the winner of your semi-final will lift the cup. 

I certainly don't think the Dutch or Sweden will win it. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

I certainly don't think the Dutch or Sweden will win it. 

Those Dutch women are a bit iffy. One can't say if they'll just wake up and find form again with the way their games have gone but I dont think they have a chance either. You'll are way too strong and England have a squad that can actually hold out much better and counter when necessary. 

Archived