• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round 10: Britain

football forum

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Cracking race, second one in a row, had a bit of everything. Hamilton was clearly the fastest today, would have been nice to see him get the job done on track or see Bottas defend him for the rest of the race.

Ferrari vs Red Bull was ace and I hope Gasly can continue to be a part of it as having both cars from two teams that close spices things up a lot with both on track strategy and pit strategy.

The battle between Renault and McLaren is really looking interesting. Sainz and Norris are doing a great job for McLaren. Raikkonen, the Toro Rosso guys, Ricciardo, Russell all doing a good job too.

Racing Point and Haas are quickly falling away from the rest of the midfield barring the occasional Q3 appearance from Magnussen. Wouldn't surprise me to see them scrapping with Williams before long.

Class race that. Verstappen vs. Leclerc will be the ultimate showdown for the next decade, I think/hope. Bottas got a bit screwed by the safety car, but I think Lewis would have caught him anyway. What a drive from him with the fastest lap on old hard tyres at the end of the race. Absolute master class. 

Solid display by Gasly as well for a change. Happy for him. 

• Subscriber

First of all, I'm extremely happy we got two great races in a row; first Spielberg, now Silverstone - great racing and great on track entertainment, just how it should be.

Max vs. Leclerc was a joy to watch again! Brilliant defending by Leclerc; hard wheel to wheel racing on the limit by both of them refusing to give an inch of space, honestly thought the crash is incoming at any corner. It's a pity we were robbed of an epic battle due to the safety car... Hope we'll see more of that in the future; could be a massive rivalry developing here.

It's also exciting how good Red Bull car has become; massive step up by them in the last month. Still lacks a bit of power on straights although top speed today looked good; also sorted out the downforce issues and their cornering speed is amazing. Their race pace and tyre management is also great, and I'd actually put them ahead of Ferrari in terms of overall package as things stand now and the gap to Mercedes has decreased as well. Given that their development usually picks up speed in the second part of the season this looks very promising, especially with more engine updates coming up from Honda.
Gasly with Verstappen's setups seems to finally be driving much better as well; still a bit slower than Max but the gap is acceptable and he had a good race; with him improving Red Bull can hopefully beat Ferrari in the constructor's standings this season.

Vettel's nightmares continue... Had a good start but then completely misjudged the situation and ruined the race for Max, himself, and us the spectators. Would have been interesting to see if Verstappen could have challenged Bottas for the second. He's lucky he got away with a pointless 10s penalty and not a grid penalty for the next race. Seb isn't doing himself any favours and the pressure will keep on getting to him. Still don't understand how both Seb and Max could continue with their race after that crash; Max didn't even have to pit haha.

Lewis in a class of his own again; great drive even if he got a bit lucky with the safety car. Love how he has balls to make his own decisions as a driver and refuse to be pitted at the end of the race, then goes on to get the fastest lap anyway to prove it was the right decision. Top class with the celebrations as well. Mercedes still well ahead of everyone in terms of race pace but it was lovely to see the fight between Lewis and Bottas during the first stint.

Happy for Kimi to get into the points again, but that's due to luck and Kimi's skills. Sauber's straight line speed and race pace just isn't there though; the slowest of the whole pack bar Williams. Frankly, the in-season development has been disappointing so far... Hope the new floor upgrade in Hockenheim will be an improvement. 

McLaren extend their lead within the best of the rest but Norris got screwed by the safety car and the team strategy. Great drive by Sainz  though.

Gutted for Albon who missed out on the top 10 at the end of the race as his tyres were gone; unlucky with the safety car as well and poor strategy by Toro Rosso. Judging from the team radio his garage didn't tell him to start saving his tyres early enough either so they didn't last. Superb drive by Kvyat!

Looking forward to Hockenheim now!

• Subscriber

I hope Max and Charles never stop kicking the shit out of each other on track for the rest of their careers. I want to see some Mansell/Piquet or Senna/Prost shit from them over the next decade.

What I never want to hear is people commenting on how much respect they've gained for each other when they stop banging wheels.

Charles also seems to be over the Austria decision and is embracing "how far we can go" now.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I hope Max and Charles never stop kicking the shit out of each other on track for the rest of their careers. I want to see some Mansell/Piquet or Senna/Prost shit from them over the next decade.

What I never want to hear is people commenting on how much respect they've gained for each other when they stop banging wheels.

Charles also seems to be over the Austria decision and is embracing "how far we can go" now.

That's exactly what the sport needs and it's a joy to watch. Hard, on the limit, but still clean wheel to wheel racing and neither side complaining. Good to see that the stewards didn't intervene and let them race today. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Tommy said:

https://streamable.com/gp4t6

Class gesture. Seb really needs to do what Grosjean did and get a mental coach or whatever. He seems to be defeated, and there's no spark left in him at the moment. 

He apologized to Max and also immediately owned up to his mistake in the interview after the race, but yeah, he's not in a good place mentally it seems. ORF commentators mentioned the  same as well... 

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

He apologized to Max and also immediately owned up to his mistake in the interview after the race, but yeah, he's not in a good place mentally it seems. ORF commentators mentioned the  same as well... 

I think the dream of winning the Championship with Ferrari lies heavy on his mind, and every year they get beaten by Mercedes. Of course he made mistakes last year too, but still, Mercedes was the superior car in the end. I can imagine that it's mentally exhausting to try again and again, and always coming up short. He really needs a turning point, and I think it could be Spa. He has always been crazy quick there. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I think the dream of winning the Championship with Ferrari lies heavy on his mind, and every year they get beaten by Mercedes. Of course he made mistakes last year too, but still, Mercedes was the superior car in the end. I can imagine that it's mentally exhausting to try again and again, and always coming up short. He really needs a turning point, and I think it could be Spa. He has always been crazy quick there. 

The pressure and overall atmosphere in Ferrari can be quite harsh and toxic (for lack of better word) in general as well. Just look at Kimi, had absolutely no interest anymore and now he's happy and enjoys racing again despite being in a pretty poor car. 

• Subscriber
On 14/07/2019 at 22:19, Tommy said:

There was a long period over the 2017 and 2018 season where Ferrari had the better car. If Hamilton was in the Ferrari he would have won at least 1 World title out of those 2 seasons.

30 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

where Ferrari had the better car.

Didn't take me long to figure out you have no clue. Ferrari maybe had a slightly better car at the start of last season, but no way was the Ferrari the better car in the last half of the season. Mercedes caught them in the development war. 

• The topic was unpinned
On 14/07/2019 at 16:59, Tommy said:

Class race that. Verstappen vs. Leclerc will be the ultimate showdown for the next decade, I think/hope. Bottas got a bit screwed by the safety car, but I think Lewis would have caught him anyway. What a drive from him with the fastest lap on old hard tyres at the end of the race. Absolute master class. 

What was the track temperature?

Archived