talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Philippe Coutinho - Moves to Bayern Munich on Loan

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

The question then becomes, if they dont get anyone and Eriksen does leave what then? The price seems almost right that Levy would snap it up and he gets an attacking option allowing Poch to find a replacement in the meantime? 

Yeah, I get at mate and I also understand why Pochettino would want him as an attacking option because I can actually see the Argentinian coach bringing out the correct way to mamage Coutinho's end product. But who would Spurs replace Eriksen with?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Coutinho can be a number eight. When played with the right (as in hardworking  tactically astute) DM, he is good enough to be a CM. 

He doesn't get that role at Barca. 

Number 8 was Iniesta's number and position, a position that in Spain is called an "Interior". He totally failed in that position and remember Barça have Sergio Busquets as a defensive midfielder which in my personal opinion is one of the greatest of all time in that position.

The problem with Coutinho is that he has one move that stands out from his football which is cutting-in and shooting. His other attributes like his passing were sub-standard for Barcelona where the midfield is the most important area of the field and you have to be extraordinary to play there for them... Philippe doesn't even come close to having the versatility required for that in midfield.

• Subscriber
Just now, SirBalon said:

Yeah, I get at mate and I also understand why Pochettino would want him as an attacking option because I can actually see the Argentinian coach bringing out the correct way to mamage Coutinho's end product. But who would Spurs replace Eriksen with?

Time to adopt a new style? Something tells me if they went the Coutinho route that they'd have to get someone they already have to adopt a new style of play. I wouldn't really put it past Pochettino to try something new to accommodate more attack options in his setup. Coutinho, Lucas and Son with Kane dropping deep is a good combination imo. You've got one player who has the ability to pass, one that can drop and holdup play and the other two will run their legs off providing you distribution options. That then leaves players like Wanyama and Ndombele to pickup defensive duties so you could potential load the midfield and use the attack options as well.

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Time to adopt a new style? Something tells me if they went the Coutinho route that they'd have to get someone they already have to adopt a new style of play. I wouldn't really put it past Pochettino to try something new to accommodate more attack options in his setup. Coutinho, Lucas and Son with Kane dropping deep is a good combination imo. You've got one player who has the ability to pass, one that can drop and holdup play and the other two will run their legs off providing you distribution options. That then leaves players like Wanyama and Ndombele to pickup defensive duties so you could potential load the midfield and use the attack options as well.

Could be like that mate and it's going to be very interesting if he does end up moving to Spurs and Eriksen leaves.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Could be like that mate and it's going to be very interesting if he does end up moving to Spurs and Eriksen leaves.

If they do it would be interesting indeed. I think Coutinho still has something about him that he hasn't really had the chance to show. Maybe a return to England with a coach he's worked with before brings it out of him. I wouldn't take him back honestly but I am sure he could come good for a club that's willing to allow him a bit more freedom in his movement. I would however be skeptical about that force to buy option as part of the loan. 

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Number 8 was Iniesta's number and position, a position that in Spain is called an "Interior". He totally failed in that position and remember Barça have Sergio Busquets as a defensive midfielder which in my personal opinion is one of the greatest of all time in that position.

The problem with Coutinho is that he has one move that stands out from his football which is cutting-in and shooting. His other attributes like his passing were sub-standard for Barcelona where the midfield is the most important area of the field and you have to be extraordinary to play there for them... Philippe doesn't even come close to having the versatility required for that in midfield.

We all (LFC fans) thought he was  Iniesta's replacement. Some of Coutinho's best performances (Arsenal home, Spurs away) came as a number eight of sorts where he dictated the play. People also underestimate his defensive qualities. He is no Dirk Kuyt when it comes to defending, but the lad can do it. 

I haven't followed Barca that much, but I doubt if he was consistently used as a midfielder. I watched them in UCL and he was used as forward on the left wing. Barca also tend to play patient possession football, while we (when Coutinho was here) were basically a counter attacking side. I guess he doesn't have the intelligence of mastering the patient game. But in a right system that favours counter attacking football, Coutinho can be good enough as a CM. 

The deal between Tottenham Hotspur and Philippe Coutinho has apparently broken down with two versions of the story depending who you read and listen to. One version is that Spurs have backed out and thought twice about the extraordinary terms and conditions Coutinho is demanding after having accepted them and version two is that Coutinho has said no because he isn’t sure about the Tottenham project.

Further news on the situation revolving Coutinho and Spurs is that there is hope it could all be activated again quickly but as of now it’s broken down.

Fabrizio is very reliable, glad we are not interested we have enough overpaid attacking midfielders and don't need another one who we won't even own. Always risky getting someone who flopped at a top club as well, they never seem to recover to their past best. 

29 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Fabrizio is very reliable, glad we are not interested we have enough overpaid attacking midfielders and don't need another one who we won't even own. Always risky getting someone who flopped at a top club as well, they never seem to recover to their past best. 

He didn't flop at a big club, he was fucking excellent for us :D

Just because them mercenary bastards over the water couldn't get the best out of him, doesn't mean hes a bad player. 

I'd take him back here tbh on a cheap deal. Klopp knows exactly how to get the best out of him. Barcelona couldn't because they aren't bothered about integrating players. They just buy everyone they can and then throw them under a bus if it doesn't work out. 

Barcelona = Scum of the football world. 

4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

He didn't flop at a big club, he was fucking excellent for us :D

Just because them mercenary bastards over the water couldn't get the best out of him, doesn't mean hes a bad player. 

I'd take him back here tbh on a cheap deal. Klopp knows exactly how to get the best out of him. Barcelona couldn't because they aren't bothered about integrating players. They just buy everyone they can and then throw them under a bus if it doesn't work out. 

Barcelona = Scum of the football world. 

To be honest I never rated him when he did play for you either. One of the most overrated players in the league and your team improved 10 fold when he left. 

I do get what you're saying and I do agree Barca are scum, but that was his dream move and now that's flopped I can see him going down the toilet. Attacking midfielders are a dying breed as it is and we have two already on horrendous wages. 

4 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

To be honest I never rated him when he did play for you either. One of the most overrated players in the league and your team improved 10 fold when he left.  

Overrated? He was class for us!

We only improved when he left because we invested the money in areas we were desperate.

If we had improved the squad as we did whilst Coutinho remained then we would be even better. I'm convinced of that.

The amount of points Phil won us in his last two seasons is the reason Barca wanted him in the first place pal.

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Overrated? He was class for us!

We only improved when he left because we invested the money in areas we were desperate.

If we had improved the squad as we did whilst Coutinho remained then we would be even better. I'm convinced of that.

The amount of points Phil won us in his last two seasons aas the reason Barca wanted him in the first place pal.

Agree to disagree you will definitely know him better than me, but I was never a fan. You even said so yourself Klopp was over the moon with the money you obtained for him and you haven't skipped a beat without him. I just don't believe he is worth the wage and loan/transfer fee. 

Mundo Deportivo stating that after the collapse of Coutinho's move to Spurs and the refusal of both Liverpool and Arsenal to take the option, only the Manchester United deal is available of which Philippe won't take apparently. So his return to the Premier League is now over.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Mundo Deportivo stating that after the collapse of Coutinho's move to Spurs and the refusal of both Liverpool and Arsenal to take the option, only the Manchester United deal is available of which Philippe won't take apparently. So his return to the Premier League is now over.

Cheers Jim!

19 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Agree to disagree you will definitely know him better than me, but I was never a fan. You even said so yourself Klopp was over the moon with the money you obtained for him and you haven't skipped a beat without him. I just don't believe he is worth the wage and loan/transfer fee. 

Oh of course I was delighted with the fee we got. It enabled us to go out and buy VVD, Allison, Robertson, Fabinho and Kieta, all within our transfer budget.

Had we done that 'without' selling Coutinho though, we'd be better still. 

Coutinho isn't the best player in the world but hes much better than them shithouses have showcased during the last 18 months. 

I'm pretty sure hed be quality for us again if we were to resign him. Klopp wont resign him though, not a chance. Coutinho well and truly burnt his bridges. 

Multiple outlets reporting Coutinho is going to be loaned to Bayern with a non-obligatory clause to buy. 

I think he fits Bayern "ethos" better than Barcelona. Coutinho appears to be a more discrete, shy guy and he couldn´t really feel at ease in the bright lights of Barcelona. Perhaps, at Bayern he can regain his confidence and his form. 

By the way, is it me or his career path is reminding of Robben? Shine at an english club, get a transfer to a spanish giant, doesn´t really make it, then goes to Bayern.

• Subscriber

He will do well for Bayern. He's a class player, with a lot about him, it just hasn't worked at Barça. But just like Ibra, Sanchez and others who didn't work out, he will no doubt go on and get himself back on track now with this move. Bayern need a player like him.

To be fair, in his first half of season and in the few games before injury at the start of last season, he was actually class, but since returning from that injury, he just didn't seem to be able to show his best.

It's a good move allround.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Michael said:

Coutinho comparisons with James Rodriguez are inevitable. But it is clear that Coutinho is much the better player. Will there be an option to buy Coutinho once his loan spell is over at Bayern I wonder?

That is the way it sounds, it would make no sense otherwise from our perspective as well.

Brazzo just confirmed in an interview with ZDF that is the way the deal is structured. Deal is almost reached "1 year loan with a buy option in favour of Bayern" was his claim.

• The topic was locked

Archived