talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FIFA Women's World Cup - Final - USA 2-0 Netherlands

• Subscriber

So this is what its all come to. The chance for the US to retain their title and a bigger chance for the Dutch to win a World Cup FInals.

Personally think the US will lift the trophy. Do I want the same country to win it again? No. But I don't think the Dutch are going to be able to take the initial burst that has seen this US team deflate two teams now on their way to the finals. Still, you have to have done something right to get this far and I am hoping for an open game this time not a steam-roll like the last finals. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

So this is what its all come to. The chance for the US to retain their title and a bigger chance for the Dutch to win a World Cup FInals.

Personally think the US will lift the trophy. Do I want the same country to win it again? No. But I don't think the Dutch are going to be able to take the initial burst that has seen this US team deflate two teams now on their way to the finals. Still, you have to have done something right to get this far and I am hoping for an open game this time not a steam-roll like the last finals. 

We havent even got out of 2nd gear, we just seem to stroll through games and win,  alot of our players are not really playing well especially the attack. I hope we are able to click in the final as we have one of the best attacks in womens football.

• Subscriber
Just now, Panna King said:

We havent even got out of 2nd gear, we just seem to stroll through games and win,  alot of our players are not really playing well especially the attack. I hope we are able to click in the final as we have one of the best attacks in womens football.

I am actually expecting a lot from the Dutch team. You're right they have one of the best attacks in the world and against Sweden last night it was more of a "they played more defensively so we couldn't take chances" than anything else but then you have to look at some of the defensive decisions and that midfield which could do so much more than it already is. I will say two things I like about your team

A. I think your front-play is very good and at times intricate but overly intricate. They know each other well and can find each other when they have to but taking a chance earlier will probably result in a better outcome

B. Your fans are ridiculously good. They come to games with the music and the chanting which adds to the atmosphere and even the commentators made a point to call it out last night as well.

It  would be nice to see you'll win a WC because after that Euro campaign its well deserved and the fact that you'll have gotten this far but I don't know why I still feel the US will edge you'll here. Its so odd to say this because you'll have two of the best strikers in the world right now in Martens and Miedema so anything is possible but you'll just need to find the spaces better and exploit things quicker. 

14 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I am actually expecting a lot from the Dutch team. You're right they have one of the best attacks in the world and against Sweden last night it was more of a "they played more defensively so we couldn't take chances" than anything else but then you have to look at some of the defensive decisions and that midfield which could do so much more than it already is. I will say two things I like about your team

A. I think your front-play is very good and at times intricate but overly intricate. They know each other well and can find each other when they have to but taking a chance earlier will probably result in a better outcome

B. Your fans are ridiculously good. They come to games with the music and the chanting which adds to the atmosphere and even the commentators made a point to call it out last night as well.

It  would be nice to see you'll win a WC because after that Euro campaign its well deserved and the fact that you'll have gotten this far but I don't know why I still feel the US will edge you'll here. Its so odd to say this because you'll have two of the best strikers in the world right now in Martens and Miedema so anything is possible but you'll just need to find the spaces better and exploit things quicker. 

Womens football is popular in the Netherlands since the Euros in 2017, there are huge number of Dutch in France as its nearby as well, I believe about 30,000 have travelled and there will be much more for the final.    

I think Van der Sanden has been the biggest let down so far as she was the star for Lyon when they won the Champions League, she played good though when she came on yesterday.  

Well done to the USA. Though I'd have liked to see someone else win for a change.

I guess we'll now see the whole "we're not going to the white house" issue ramp right up.

19 hours ago, Spike said:

What is the point of VAR when penalties are given when no foul is committed? I thought it was meant to stop that.

Are you suggesting that Alex Morgan getting cleated by a defender who completely misses the ball isn't a foul?

18 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Congrats to the US and @Eco. Once that first goal went in it was always going to be hard to come back against them.

Cheers - wife and I went to a watch party and had a really good time. 

Absolutely incredible how much pressure they had and still won, and Rose Lavelle is the next GOAT. Unreal. 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Eco said:

Cheers - wife and I went to a watch party and had a really good time. 

Absolutely incredible how much pressure they had and still won, and Rose Lavelle is the next GOAT. Unreal. 

It actually was quite entertaining before that first goal went in. Could really have swung either way but then they had to go for it and that left a lot of open spaces and it killed the game. Is it four WC's now? 

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

It actually was quite entertaining before that first goal went in. Could really have swung either way but then they had to go for it and that left a lot of open spaces and it killed the game. Is it four WC's now? 

Yes sir, 4 World Cups. 

• The title was changed to FIFA Women's World Cup - Final - USA 2-0 Netherlands
1 hour ago, Eco said:

Are you suggesting that Alex Morgan getting cleated by a defender who completely misses the ball isn't a foul?

Morgan didn’t have control of the ball and it was barely any contact

18 minutes ago, Spike said:

Morgan didn’t have control of the ball and it was barely any contact

You still can't cleat an attacker in the box, though. Clear cut penalty despite how much contact was actually made, some was which is more than enough. That attempt to play the ball by the defender was reckless as hell. 

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

You still can't cleat an attacker in the box, though. Clear cut penalty despite how much contact was actually made, some was which is more than enough. That attempt to play the ball by the defender was reckless as hell. 

Nope, it is up to the referee’s discretion to decide that

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Nope, it is up to the referee’s discretion to decide that

And that's what VAR does, checks for clear and obvious penalties. 

How in the world do you not consider this an obvious penalty? I have heard zero complaints on all news outlets about this. 

Just now, Eco said:

And that's what VAR does, checks for clear and obvious penalties. 

How in the world do you not consider this an obvious penalty? I have heard zero complaints on all news outlets about this. 

It's funny that a player that doesn't play the ball is punished while the other isn't. I think it is even a red card offence but it is stupid that a player can be given a penalty without any control of the ball just because it is inside the box.

Just now, Spike said:

It's funny that a player that doesn't play the ball is punished while the other isn't. I think it is even a red card offence but it is stupid that a player can be given a penalty without any control of the ball just because it is inside the box.

What do you expect from Morgan? She's obviously going for the ball, sees the boot, and then tries to protect herself. She's attempting to play the ball, but isn't able to complete the action due to the fact she's about to be cleated. 

I thought it was a clear red card, as this is something we see monthly where a defender sticks their leg up to get the ball, misses, hits a member of the other team, and gets a red. It's no different here that it's in the box. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

What do you expect from Morgan? She's obviously going for the ball, sees the boot, and then tries to protect herself. She's attempting to play the ball, but isn't able to complete the action due to the fact she's about to be cleated. 

I thought it was a clear red card, as this is something we see monthly where a defender sticks their leg up to get the ball, misses, hits a member of the other team, and gets a red. It's no different here that it's in the box. 

What do I think? I think she was trying to draw a penalty.

Just now, Spike said:

What do I think? I think she was trying to draw a penalty.

Ha - doesn't matter, the defender was reckless and put herself in a terrible position. 

1 hour ago, Eco said:

Ha - doesn't matter, the defender was reckless and put herself in a terrible position. 

Why do you even care in the first place?! Your girls won, to the fanfare of many.

41 minutes ago, Spike said:

Why do you even care in the first place?! Your girls won, to the fanfare of many.

But I'm not sure where your reasoning is for thinking that it's not a penalty. Or is it that you don't think VAR should have intervened? 

I know 'my girls' won it, and I am also aware that most people hate the 'arrogance' of our National Team, but a lot of these people weren't upset with England in the WC when they were singing 'The Cup is coming home', despite not making it past the semi-finals. If our Women's team has such a song, this place would be up in arms over the arrogance, but not so when it involved the English Men's team at the World Cup. 

Fair play to the Dutch, as they were great to watch and I predicted them to make it to the final vs the US. Their keeper made some spectacular saves at that, but if you come in here saying 'it's not a penalty', when in fact it is, and I have found little evidence to agree with you, then don't shy away when someone calls you on what shit you are smoking. 

6 minutes ago, Eco said:

But I'm not sure where your reasoning is for thinking that it's not a penalty. Or is it that you don't think VAR should have intervened? 

I know 'my girls' won it, and I am also aware that most people hate the 'arrogance' of our National Team, but a lot of these people weren't upset with England in the WC when they were singing 'The Cup is coming home', despite not making it past the semi-finals. If our Women's team has such a song, this place would be up in arms over the arrogance, but not so when it involved the English Men's team at the World Cup. 

Fair play to the Dutch, as they were great to watch and I predicted them to make it to the final vs the US. Their keeper made some spectacular saves at that, but if you come in here saying 'it's not a penalty', when in fact it is, and I have found little evidence to agree with you, then don't shy away when someone calls you on what shit you are smoking. 

What does that bold have to do with anything? Are you wound up and taking it out on me? Well apparently that shit I'm smoking went straight up your arse and out your ears. You need to have a look at yourself and calm down, I just said I didn't think it was a penalty and you've gone apeshit over that.

Just now, Spike said:

What does that bold have to do with anything? Are you wound up and taking it out on me? Well apparently that shit I'm smoking went straight up your arse and out your ears. You need to have a look at yourself and calm down.

Ha - I promise I'm not upset, just trying to understand why you don't think it's a penalty. Surely if it were a Chelsea match you'd be screaming for a PK, and rightfully so? 

Also, there is nothing bolded.

1 minute ago, Eco said:

Ha - I promise I'm not upset, just trying to understand why you don't think it's a penalty. Surely if it were a Chelsea match you'd be screaming for a PK, and rightfully so? 

Also, there is nothing bolded.

I don't scream for PKs and I always think off the ball fouls are soft. 

Also yes there is.

Archived