talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arjen Robben Retires From Football

• Subscriber

News just broke this morning, one of Bayern's/Bundesligas all time greats. Word was he was looking into a move to PSV Eindhoven not sure what developed from there. 

Found a translation from a Robben quote on reddit

"I have been thinking a lot over the past few weeks. As everyone knows, I consciously took the time to make an informed decision about my future after my last Bayern Munich match. And I decided to put an end to my career as a player. "

"It is without doubt the hardest decision I have had to make in my career. A decision where 'heart' and 'mind' collided."

"The love for the game and the conviction that you can take on the world, clashes with the reality that not everything goes the way you want and you are no longer a 16 year old boy, who had no idea what an injury meant. "

"At the moment I am fit and healthy and as a fan of many other sports, I would like to keep it that way for the future. I'll definitely retire, and it's alright."

Arjen Robben has announced his retirement from professional football.

The former Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Chelsea winger left the German giants at the end of last season and has decided to hang up his boots.

He originally considered moving onto another team but failed to find a new club before retiring on Thursday.

Robben began his career at Groningen before moving onto PSV, Chelsea, Real and Bayern. He also picked up 96 caps for Holland and played in the 2010 World Cup final. 

The 36-year-old spent 10 years with Bayern, winning the Bundesliga eight times, and also captured the Champions League in 2013.

His two seasons at Real saw him collect La Liga and the Spanish Super Cup, while his time at Chelsea brought two Premier League crowns over three seasons.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7213935/Arjen-Robben-retires-professional-football.html

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Arjen Robben Retires From Football
  • Subscriber

Think he made the right decision by retiring. The only thing he was missing was a World Cup medal and even without that he's racked up some serious accolades in his time across Europe.

Cannot disagree with Harvsky's thoughts, but his ability and skill was, at times, brilliant and a lesson for any young player - sadly often spoiled by his desire to 'pretend'. Off the field my friends tell me he was about as respectful a guy as you could wish to meet and - yes - he will be missed - even if only for his desire to continually run sideways to the left and across the field which, even after twenty years, still got the better of the young defenders in most teams.  How come Holland keeps producing these guys?

Didn't like his antics on the pitch, but he is and always was a class act off the pitch. Thought he was going to play in the Netherlands for one or two more seasons. Oh well, happy retirement. 

Archived