talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Russia Pulls Out of Nuclear Treaty With US

football forum

Putin has signed a bill withdrawing Russia from a nuclear treaty with the United States.

The 1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty was signed by Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev to ban American and Soviet land-based ballistic and cruise missiles with a range of 310-3420 miles. 

The US considered 12 post-Soviets, all except the Baltic nations, to be bound to the treaty obligations. Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan all had significant sites that would be inspected according to the treaty.

President Trump said in October Russia had been reneged on the treaty in secret and the US would withdraw.

The process started in February and Mr Putin started his withdrawal the next day in response.

Russia has accused the US of using European allies to bypass the treaty thought the backdoor and Mr Putin said at a Munich Conference in 2007 the treaty was flawed as it only bounded Russia and the US and not other countries.

Mr Trump’s team said Russia’s deployment of the Novator 9M729 land-based cruise missile broke the treaty, with the POTUS saying Russia had been "violating for many years."

INF-TREATY-1944395.webp?r=1562207484789

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The treaty not only limited nuclear arm race but both countries destroyed all the missiles, launching pads and training sites that fell under the treaty it also prohibited any research for the advancement of such technologies.

Trump gave Russia six months to come in compliance with the treaty but Putin has made his mind. 

• The title was changed to Russia Pulls Out of Nuclear Treaty With US
1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Deals with Iran and Russia in the bin and a trade war with China. Whoever takes over from Trump will have a lot on their plate.

I wouldn't some that will be in 2020 mate. Its rare that the sitting president gets unseated and if he's up against someone that terrifies the business community there is bound to be a good chance Trump would look the less bad option once again

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

More excellent news from the world of politics, cool.

I think that's a gift for Russia, even if they were secretly violating the treaty you don't outright end it now Russia has all the liberty to make, install as much as missiles where ever they want bad news for Europe.

I also think US is also happy with the treaty gone since China had signed no such treaty so they were advancing their arsenal which US and Russia agreed not to. 

• 1 month later...

US treated a nuclear-capable Tomahawk cruise missile on Sunday just weeks after Washington withdrew from a cold-war era missile control treaty that would have barred the test launch.

Russia says US is planting the missiles in Belarus and near Russia.

This might be a bigger deal than it seems, this might start another nuclear arms race between the two 

1 hour ago, Stick With Azeem said:

US treated a nuclear-capable Tomahawk cruise missile on Sunday just weeks after Washington withdrew from a cold-war era missile control treaty that would have barred the test launch.

Russia says US is planting the missiles in Belarus and near Russia.

This might be a bigger deal than it seems, this might start another nuclear arms race between the two 

If that genuinely did occur I would be of the view it was solely to create a distraction from the failings and inadequacies of domestic Policy in the countries affected.

• Subscriber

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49432681

If that's how they are going about testing and improving their nuclear arsenal they might actually be leading themselves down the path of self-destruction. I can just see it now, Putin goes to show off their new nuclear weapon, mishap happens and the entire place is radiation poisoned. 

Engineer: "Why do I taste metal in my mouth?"
Putin: "Because that is what success tastes like when you've made a weapon of mass destruction"
Rest of the World: SMH

4 hours ago, Stick With Azeem said:

Russia is developing an ICBM Satan 2 which they claim to set to top anything seen before.

In a world where people like trump can be elected into command of the nuclear codes the idea of nuclear proliferation is even more terrifying

53 minutes ago, Harry said:

In a world where people like trump can be elected into command of the nuclear codes the idea of nuclear proliferation is even more terrifying

Before World War I, society at large forgot the details of the horrors of warfare on a massive scale. So while Europe's armies kept growing and growing as a deterrent for war, that deterrent stopped being as effective as time passed and societies weren't confronted by these horrors of war.

Fast forward til present day, we've got nations that have nuclear weapons to serve as a deterrent for war. But we've also found ourselves pretty far removed from the last time nuclear weapons were used in warfare, so I think people don't really understand how big of a deal it is.

If we continue on this path of nationalism and idiot leaders, I think we'll see the world see what happened waaay back over 100 years ago when Europe was incredibly nationalistic and their leaders were morons.

Archived