talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Making Music

football forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 13/09/2020 at 18:58, Mpache said:

My song came out this morning. I tried uploading it on Facebook 3 times, and all 3 times it's been muted because I'm "copyright infringing".

This is why nobody uses Facebook anymore.

In my experience with this, it just stays tagged till someone reviews it and then it gets unflagged. The algorithms used these days are terribly sensitive but they also cut out the legal issues some artists have over their work being copied just look at what Don from the Eagles got up to and this comments later. I'd just leave it out there and it gets removed once they review the content or they send you a message saying what part of it is copyrighted. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Personally, I don't use facebook anymore because I don't like seeing which of my friends have grown up to be incorrigible racists.

Probably the wrong place to post this but go have a look if you're interested.

https://www.firstpost.com/entertainment/the-social-dilemma-review-netflix-documentary-ventures-into-the-spooky-side-of-technology-8802681.html

It's a good insight, if not a bit skewed, into some social media practices and statistics. 

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

@Dr. Gonzo

Whats your guitar care regime? I just spent yesterday and today cleaning all of my guitars, doing the lemon-oil wood cleaning, fret buffing and changed the strings on two of my basses. Anything you do that you think others don't? I am genuinely curious about how people clean the saddles and the area around pickups.

5 hours ago, Mel81x said:

@Dr. Gonzo

Whats your guitar care regime? I just spent yesterday and today cleaning all of my guitars, doing the lemon-oil wood cleaning, fret buffing and changed the strings on two of my basses. Anything you do that you think others don't? I am genuinely curious about how people clean the saddles and the area around pickups.

My routine is pretty standard. So as someone that has pretty sweaty hands, the most basic care regime I have is just wiping everything down with a microfiber cloth (I have one for each guitar in their respective cases). Especially the fretboard & the bridge. This does a lot to prevent gunk building up on hardware like the saddles, slows the buildup on the fretboard though.

I don’t have any guitars with maple fretboards anymore, but I really don’t know how to condition maple.

With rosewood/ebony, I use Gorgomyte wipes for the fretboard and frets. It’s essentially lemon oil along with some shite that conditions frets. Does it all in one go, which I like for just time saving.

If I’ve got dust in the saddles of my bridge, I use compressed air to blow it out. The one time I had a tune-o-matic style bridge that got a bunch of weird buildup in it, I took it off the guitar and cleaned it off with a toothbrush and it took forever.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

My routine is pretty standard. So as someone that has pretty sweaty hands, the most basic care regime I have is just wiping everything down with a microfiber cloth (I have one for each guitar in their respective cases). Especially the fretboard & the bridge. This does a lot to prevent gunk building up on hardware like the saddles, slows the buildup on the fretboard though.

I don’t have any guitars with maple fretboards anymore, but I really don’t know how to condition maple.

With rosewood/ebony, I use Gorgomyte wipes for the fretboard and frets. It’s essentially lemon oil along with some shite that conditions frets. Does it all in one go, which I like for just time saving.

If I’ve got dust in the saddles of my bridge, I use compressed air to blow it out. The one time I had a tune-o-matic style bridge that got a bunch of weird buildup in it, I took it off the guitar and cleaned it off with a toothbrush and it took forever.

I do the same and I am really trying to avoid getting a soft-toothbrush to clean the saddles out. Sadly we don't get Gorgomyte wipes here but I have used them before and they are superb. 

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Maybe I should send some out to you, that's a bit shit though - why wouldn't they sell that out there?

Its available sometimes and its quite rare. There is a guy who used to import it regularly but then he told me that they stopped using it.

@Mel81x ... you ever go onto guitar/bass forums and just been astounded at the terrible advice given to new players by I assume other... new players... or just trolls.

New Player: I need help intonating my guitar. What do I do?

Other New Player Giving Shit Advice: Have you tried blindly turning the truss rod a few times??

and it's like every fucking guitar forum. Why?

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@Mel81x ... you ever go onto guitar/bass forums and just been astounded at the terrible advice given to new players by I assume other... new players... or just trolls.

New Player: I need help intonating my guitar. What do I do?

Other New Player Giving Shit Advice: Have you tried blindly turning the truss rod a few times??

and it's like every fucking guitar forum. Why?

I have and its not just intonation its other things like guitar care or what strings to use or how some people think its a good idea to completely replace a part like the switch and give such bad advice on parts replacement only to have the same person come back later and say "I can hear buzzing now".

I break it down to the following.

1. New players tends to blindly listen to more experienced players, its just the standard. They figure these guys have been playing a while they must know what to do. Not always the case but its just the trend. 
  2. People really dont want to take the time to go and watch a few videos and actually try and learn what to do and what not to do. They figure ask a question on a forum and you'll get the best advice. Quick, easy and seems reliable.
  3. The real answers are not on page 1 they are further down the forum chain and by then the new player has already gone and done damage (still reversible mind you) but its already a bit too late.
  4. Lastly, the internet loves trolls. Why anyone would tell someone to purposely fuck an instrument is beyond me but i've seen it enough times to know that advice still needs to be double checked. 

If someone tells me to blindly turn a truss rod I'd ask them to kindly go to the top of their building and try jumping off it a few times for me as well, I'll wait while you do. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

You dont have to be a musician to hear that things are wrong but why the band even decided to do this is beyond me. This essentially means the guitars (and bass) were running time while the drummer actively made a mistake and he purposely makes this mistake to make things sound wrong. What a weirdo. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

When I first watched this I was a bit confused then I started reading up on it too and its actually mind-blowing how they've taken data samples of music and turned them into little pockets that can then be built on. Adam does a good job of talking about the music part but the science behind is very very wild.

• Subscriber

@Dr. Gonzo you know how some people say AC/DC is standard fare and then you go and play about nine songs and realize it might be standard fare but these guys are just blitzing their chords with high energy the whole time? What a workout. I classify Iron Maiden in the same bucket.

Also, good deal?

https://reverb.com/item/36981345-ibanez-frm100-tr-transparent-red-fireman-paul-gilbert-signature-electric-guitar-demo-model

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 1

On 30/12/2020 at 00:12, Mel81x said:

@Dr. Gonzo you know how some people say AC/DC is standard fare and then you go and play about nine songs and realize it might be standard fare but these guys are just blitzing their chords with high energy the whole time? What a workout. I classify Iron Maiden in the same bucket.

Also, good deal?

https://reverb.com/item/36981345-ibanez-frm100-tr-transparent-red-fireman-paul-gilbert-signature-electric-guitar-demo-model

Sorry mate I didn’t see this!

AC/DC are underrated despite having some very simple songs. A good way to develop serious rhythm chops on guitar is to study Malcom Young’s work imo. And yeah Angus is just a ball of energy. 

And yeah that looks like a good deal to me.

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

This comment ... brutal

"This is a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, and trust me, that ain't curing anybody of anything, except maybe good tone."

• Haha 1

So I’ve been trying to record more and more. Still haven’t got anything I’d feel comfortable sharing lol...

but I was listening to some Led Zeppelin II this morning and am very impressed with some of the layering done to give the guitar work more texture. It’s interesting because when I’ve layered my riffs... it’s been to make riffs sound heavier, so I’ve doubled (and quadrupled) my guitar/bass tracks.

So I did a Google search to learn more...

What Jimmy Page has done with playing similar but not the exact same chords to create a super rich sound... it’s something I’d not really thought about doing. Using different pickups for the same riffs too. It’s interesting to learn more about.

I should copy him because he’s Jimmy Page and aside from being a legendary guitarist... was pretty good at recording and production as well.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

So I’ve been trying to record more and more. Still haven’t got anything I’d feel comfortable sharing lol...

but I was listening to some Led Zeppelin II this morning and am very impressed with some of the layering done to give the guitar work more texture. It’s interesting because when I’ve layered my riffs... it’s been to make riffs sound heavier, so I’ve doubled (and quadrupled) my guitar/bass tracks.

So I did a Google search to learn more...

What Jimmy Page has done with playing similar but not the exact same chords to create a super rich sound... it’s something I’d not really thought about doing. Using different pickups for the same riffs too. It’s interesting to learn more about.

I should copy him because he’s Jimmy Page and aside from being a legendary guitarist... was pretty good at recording and production as well.

I'd like to hear some stuff but I also get how it feels when you don't think its right or ready even if everyone else does.

Production/Recording imo teaches you to actually play your instrument a bit differently even when you're at gigs or playing in a studio itself. Recently, I watched a video on YT where someone played U2s With or Without you and it never struck me for all these years but the amount of coloring that The Edge does on a single chord in that song is ridiculous (D). 

Been playing with the MS-3/Maschine into Logic myself and I think i'll have something to share really soon. I am actually playing my guitar more these days and my bass much less.

The best lesson I learned from music production was 20/80 panning to give equal prominence or boosted prominence of instruments its amazing how your ears will automatically do the work for you when you get the setting right.

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

I am going to be in possession of what I think is a super weird string instrument, a Mandolin in a week or so from now. If you've never played one of these things of it like a bass guitar that is literally upside down and has that dual string twang to it. After playing a Uke I think this should really be pretty simple to get a hang of but lets see what happens when I get it.

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 1