talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Making Music

football forum

4 hours ago, Mel81x said:

@Dr. Gonzo Steve's understanding of the signal chain and his work with music tech is always something I like hearing. I also love how he says "I find it bad but remember you have to find whats good for you". 

I think Steve Vai could probably make anything sound good though xD

It's a good point about finding things that work for particular players. I'd always heard mod effects should go in the FX Loop ALL THE TIME... but I think things like phaser and chorus sound better going in before the input.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Steve Vai could probably make anything sound good though xD

It's a good point about finding things that work for particular players. I'd always heard mod effects should go in the FX Loop ALL THE TIME... but I think things like phaser and chorus sound better going in before the input.

I think Steve could play a fiddle and make it sound like a rock concert. The size of that mans palms is fucking ridiculous.

As for the way the sound comes out its all really about experimentation and you're right its different for different people. As I play more guitar these days I am rediscovering the joy of just fiddling and tweaking the FX block to get the sound I want. I am also rediscovering the kick you get when you listen to something and you get the pedal setup just right. 

@Mel81x has the mandolin come in yet? If so, how you liking it? Pretty cool instrument to have, imo. I feel like not many people in the world can say they play a mandolin. Dunno how true that is.

In other news, MusicTribe signed a partnership deal with Sweetwater to streamline their distribution... and this means a huge drop in price at Sweetwater for a ton of brands. The biggest is Behringer... which isn't that exciting (although I'm considering buying a cheapo powered monitor from them). But also TC Electronics! Which is a pretty cool company to see a big price drop in.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@Mel81x has the mandolin come in yet? If so, how you liking it? Pretty cool instrument to have, imo. I feel like not many people in the world can say they play a mandolin. Dunno how true that is.

In other news, MusicTribe signed a partnership deal with Sweetwater to streamline their distribution... and this means a huge drop in price at Sweetwater for a ton of brands. The biggest is Behringer... which isn't that exciting (although I'm considering buying a cheapo powered monitor from them). But also TC Electronics! Which is a pretty cool company to see a big price drop in.

Its not as far fetched to see Mandolin players on this side of the globe and some parts of the Mediterranean considering how important the music is to that style. Country probably not as a big of a deal either but I can't be a 100% sure. Its coming at the end of the month based on how the orders with this vendor with last time but I am very curious to see how I take to it and what I actually learn. Its an upside-down bass tuning so that has me terribly curious.

As for the TCE news that is stellar news. They make some great gear and if it turns a bit more affordable I cant see that as a bad thing at all.

@Mel81x @Happy Blue

with your guitars with Floyd Roses/Ibanez-double-locking trems... do you cut both ends of the string - or do you string it in backwards and have the end of the string with the ball up by the tuning peg? I've been cutting the strings on both ends, but I've got to restring today... and I'm thinking about doing it the other way. I've seen quite a few people on the internet say it makes things a bit quicker.

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@Mel81x @Happy Blue

with your guitars with Floyd Roses/Ibanez-double-locking trems... do you cut both ends of the string - or do you string it in backwards and have the end of the string with the ball up by the tuning peg? I've been cutting the strings on both ends, but I've got to restring today... and I'm thinking about doing it the other way. I've seen quite a few people on the internet say it makes things a bit quicker.

I cut both ends but I think it depends on how its strung because if you dont create the right amount of tension then the strings wont last wrong. I am keen what you find out when you do the backwards thing.

4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I cut both ends but I think it depends on how its strung because if you dont create the right amount of tension then the strings wont last wrong. I am keen what you find out when you do the backwards thing.

If it fucks with the tension and I've got to adjust the claw again, I'll be seriously annoyed xD - I absolutely hate doing that shite, it's not particularly difficult it just takes me for-fucking-ever. I'm still weighing up whether I should do it or not... I'm still not 100% sure where I should cut the string before I shove it into the saddle if I do it the other way.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@Mel81x @Happy Blue

I just cut the balls off and leave the other end  ..also to tune it up it's easier to block the bridge  with some playing cards of something so it doesn't move, dive the bar then put the object under before releasing, make sure it's level

• Upvote 2

Speaking about guitars, got a new one on order and should be here next month :1_grinning:(Jackson X Series Warrior WRX24M)  ..going to fit seymour duncan Nazgul & Sentient pickup set as it only comes with Jackson's own high output ones which are probably not very good

3ckWiIN.jpg

Edited by Happy Blue
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

I just cut the balls off and leave the other end  ..also to tune it up it's easier to block the bridge  with some playing cards of something so it doesn't move, dive the bar then put the object under before releasing, make sure it's level

I use a bit of cork I cut away as my bridge block. It's insanely difficult without blocking the bridge first!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I use a bit of cork I cut away as my bridge block. It's insanely difficult without blocking the bridge first!

I'm thinking about getting one of the adjustable bar things you can stick where the springs go so i can hardtail it at a turn of the screw

5 minutes ago, Mpache said:

@Mel81x @Dr. Gonzo I decided to build my own home studio for my vocals.  I'm willing to spend quite a bit on this. I got recommended a certain Audio Interface and a condensed microphone. My worries come from my heater and air conditioning. Any ideas if this will be affected?

Do you mean the noise from the heater/AC creating unwanted noise that might be picked up by the mic? It's very possible this can happen. It's also possible that you've arranged the studio in such a way that you can minimise/negate that noise altogether. It's sort of tough to say without trying first.

A lot of recording vocals depends on the actual room you're in when you record - for a lot of vocal recordings, a really small area is often preferred. Some people make themselves booths out of sound dampening/sound conditioning material. Others just use a closet xD

What interface & condenser mic did you get?

4 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

I'm thinking about getting one of the adjustable bar things you can stick where the springs go so i can hardtail it at a turn of the screw

I didn't even know that was a thing?! That would certainly be way easier for string changes. Also if you ever wanted to do a drop tuning or anything, you could make it a lot less of a pain the arse (although you'd still have to unlock the neck). I probably won't get one as I've got my cork for string changes on my Floyd guitar & I've got 2 hardtail guitars if I want to fuck around with other tunings.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I didn't even know that was a thing?! That would certainly be way easier for string changes. Also if you ever wanted to do a drop tuning or anything, you could make it a lot less of a pain the arse (although you'd still have to unlock the neck). I probably won't get one as I've got my cork for string changes on my Floyd guitar & I've got 2 hardtail guitars if I want to fuck around with other tunings.

Yeah, it's 100% the way to go and you don't fuck up your guitar because it lock's and unlocks with a turn of a screw. i dont really use the bar but like how low the action is on the floyd bridge so might hardtail a few of mine ..here's a link https://www.thomann.de/gb/allparts_tremolno_bp2007010.htm

Edited by Happy Blue
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Do you mean the noise from the heater/AC creating unwanted noise that might be picked up by the mic? It's very possible this can happen. It's also possible that you've arranged the studio in such a way that you can minimise/negate that noise altogether. It's sort of tough to say without trying first.

A lot of recording vocals depends on the actual room you're in when you record - for a lot of vocal recordings, a really small area is often preferred. Some people make themselves booths out of sound dampening/sound conditioning material. Others just use a closet xD

What interface & condenser mic did you get?

I'm looking at Rode Nt1 or the Audie Technica 2020. I'm willing to spent quite a bit for this, but the Interface is also expensive.

1 hour ago, Mpache said:

I'm looking at Rode Nt1 or the Audie Technica 2020. I'm willing to spent quite a bit for this, but the Interface is also expensive.

I’d go with the Rode. What interfaces were you looking at?

1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

Yeah, it's 100% the way to go and you don't fuck up your guitar because it lock's and unlocks with a turn of a screw. i dont really use the bar but like how low the action is on the floyd bridge so might hardtail a few of mine ..here's a link https://www.thomann.de/gb/allparts_tremolno_bp2007010.htm

One Floyd mod that I 100% recommend is the push-in tremolo arm bar. No more loose wobbly arm bar with that installed - and installation was easy as fuck. Sort of makes it more like an Ibanez bar in that it just pops in and out, and you can adjust the tension to your preference really easily. 

I was having loads of issues with my bar being very loose and eventually the bit of the bridge that holds it in just loosened all the way off and came out the back cavity with mine xD - instead of putting it back on, I just got that as a replacement and it honestly is a massive upgrade. But I guess it’s only an issue if you’ve got a loose one.

I also put a bit of foam behind my strings so I don’t get any unexpected spring noises coming out of my amp. Those 2 things fixed all of my Floyd issues, other than it takes me so long to change strings compared to a hard tail.

I’m intrigued by this little tool to fix that last problem.

46 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’d go with the Rode. What interfaces were you looking at?

One Floyd mod that I 100% recommend is the push-in tremolo arm bar. No more loose wobbly arm bar with that installed - and installation was easy as fuck. Sort of makes it more like an Ibanez bar in that it just pops in and out, and you can adjust the tension to your preference really easily. 

I was having loads of issues with my bar being very loose and eventually the bit of the bridge that holds it in just loosened all the way off and came out the back cavity with mine xD - instead of putting it back on, I just got that as a replacement and it honestly is a massive upgrade. But I guess it’s only an issue if you’ve got a loose one.

I also put a bit of foam behind my strings so I don’t get any unexpected spring noises coming out of my amp. Those 2 things fixed all of my Floyd issues, other than it takes me so long to change strings compared to a hard tail.

I’m intrigued by this little tool to fix that last problem.

Yeah, the push in bars are great aren't they B| ..my dive bombing days are long behind me know though, kind of out grown that xD  ..here is my solution to the tremolo bar

6iQmbIi.jpg

:4_joy:   ..not seen anyone use foam behind the strings before :35_thinking: interesting ..the only thing thats stopped me getting that tremolo-no device is the price, it's not cheap!

Edited by Happy Blue
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Yeah, the push in bars are great aren't they B| ..my dive bombing days are long behind me know though, kind of out grown that xD  ..here is my solution to the tremolo bar

6iQmbIi.jpg

:4_joy:   ..not seen anyone use foam behind the strings before :35_thinking: interesting ..the only thing thats stopped me getting that tremolo-no device is the price, it's not cheap!

My dive bombing days have just begun xD - I’m having loads of fun with having a Floyd Rose, having never really had one that properly floated before (my first guitar with one - which I no longer have, wasn’t routed to float, so it was dive only). I basically just pretend I’m Dimebag xD

I LOVE your guitars by the way

10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

My dive bombing days have just begun xD - I’m having loads of fun with having a Floyd Rose, having never really had one that properly floated before (my first guitar with one - which I no longer have, wasn’t routed to float, so it was dive only). I basically just pretend I’m Dimebag xD

I LOVE your guitars by the way

Ha, well have fun! :D ..im more into playing brutal riffs now than pretending to be dime lol ..thanks, these are my mid level Jacksons, Rhoads has the EMG's and the 7 string KV7 has the blackouts ..you still got your Rhoads? if so i hope its on a stand now :4_joy:

Just now, Happy Blue said:

Ha, well have fun! :D ..im more into playing brutal riffs now than pretending to be dime lol ..thanks, these are my mid level Jacksons, Rhoads has the EMG's and the 7 string KV7 has the blackouts ..you still got your Rhoads? if so i hope its on a stand now :4_joy:

I sold the Rhoads to get my Jackson soloist, my ESP (EMGs) is my E standard guitar hardtail, my SG is my D standard guitar (passive pickups, but crazy hot for passives - almost as much output as the EMGs), and then my Soloist is my whammy machine (also in E standard). So I’m satisfied with my variety in guitars for the most part. Eventually I want something that I drop down to B standard tuning for learning how to play Carcass songs.

Bet you play some extremely brutal riffs with that KV7! What do you have that tuned to? Regular tuning or lower for more brutality?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I sold the Rhoads to get my Jackson soloist, my ESP (EMGs) is my E standard guitar hardtail, my SG is my D standard guitar (passive pickups, but crazy hot for passives - almost as much output as the EMGs), and then my Soloist is my whammy machine (also in E standard). So I’m satisfied with my variety in guitars for the most part. Eventually I want something that I drop down to B standard tuning for learning how to play Carcass songs.

Bet you play some extremely brutal riffs with that KV7! What do you have that tuned to? Regular tuning or lower for more brutality?

Sounds like you have some nice guitars mate, i love the sound of EMG pups B| ..i play alot of carcass songs on my kv7, got it in B standard so if i ignore the 7th string i also have an E standard tuning too ;)  ..i have the rhoads in C standard to sound like Entombed, my Jackson Warrior will be in D standard when it arrives and my Jackson Performer (from the 90's) is in drop B  ..do you think i like Jacksons? :4_joy: 

• Upvote 1