talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Making Music

football forum

16 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Can active pickups break an interface?

Either way, looks like this Evo 8 might have to go back :( - just stopped working all of a sudden while using my ESP. Can get it to sometimes go back to normal, but the second I try to adjust the input gain it just stops working.

Haven’t really seen anything else about this kind of issue anywhere on the internet… so I’m guessing it’s just bad luck…

Well idk what the fuck was up with my interface last night - but it appears to be working fine now after restarting the computer and letting everything rest for a while. Hopefully that never happens again, because I quite like the Evo 8.

@Mel81x you will be pleased to know that I will be purchasing that JEM I showed you later today. I'll be slinking out of the office around lunch time and meeting the guy, checking out the neck and giving the electronics a quick check with a Roland MicroCube & if everything looks alright, I should be getting the thing at a pretty decent price. Probably my best haggling I've ever done in my life, my Middle Eastern mum would be so proud.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well idk what the fuck was up with my interface last night - but it appears to be working fine now after restarting the computer and letting everything rest for a while. Hopefully that never happens again, because I quite like the Evo 8.

@Mel81x you will be pleased to know that I will be purchasing that JEM I showed you later today. I'll be slinking out of the office around lunch time and meeting the guy, checking out the neck and giving the electronics a quick check with a Roland MicroCube & if everything looks alright, I should be getting the thing at a pretty decent price. Probably my best haggling I've ever done in my life, my Middle Eastern mum would be so proud.

Ocassionally it will start putting a lot of static on the line for me and it wont go away till I restart the machine. This leads me to believe its just driver issues but the funny thing is that there seem to be no updates from them in a while haha.

Also, congrats on the purchase.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Ocassionally it will start putting a lot of static on the line for me and it wont go away till I restart the machine. This leads me to believe its just driver issues but the funny thing is that there seem to be no updates from them in a while haha.

Also, congrats on the purchase.

That's exactly what happened with me! I was so frustrated and I'd tried... just about everything other than restarting it. Which is just about the dumbest way to go about troubleshooting - I should have restarted first.

Once I restarted it I just thought "oh - it's all fine now, what the fuck was that?" Guess that'll be the first thing I do next time xD

Also, re: the purchase... thanks! I haven't bought it yet... let's see if it's in as good of condition as it looked in those pictures (and that the electronics all work fine).

Not gonna lie, the JEM purchase (if it goes through) is at least partially inspired by you xD - I mean it helps that it's one of those colours in a guitar that I just find irresistible on a super-strat style guitar... and a JEM is about as "super strat" as you can get & the price is good for the guitar it is. It also helps that my wife is really into guitar instrumentals like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, etc... (more than I am tbh) - so when I showed her the JEM, it was probably the first time where she said "you're going to buy that, right?" whereas usually when I show her a guitar that I think looks cool she says something along the lines of "please don't buy that."

I'm pretty excited tbh, I think there's a good chance it'll be the best guitar I've ever owned.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That's exactly what happened with me! I was so frustrated and I'd tried... just about everything other than restarting it. Which is just about the dumbest way to go about troubleshooting - I should have restarted first.

Once I restarted it I just thought "oh - it's all fine now, what the fuck was that?" Guess that'll be the first thing I do next time xD

Also, re: the purchase... thanks! I haven't bought it yet... let's see if it's in as good of condition as it looked in those pictures (and that the electronics all work fine).

Not gonna lie, the JEM purchase (if it goes through) is at least partially inspired by you xD - I mean it helps that it's one of those colours in a guitar that I just find irresistible on a super-strat style guitar... and a JEM is about as "super strat" as you can get & the price is good for the guitar it is. It also helps that my wife is really into guitar instrumentals like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, etc... (more than I am tbh) - so when I showed her the JEM, it was probably the first time where she said "you're going to buy that, right?" whereas usually when I show her a guitar that I think looks cool she says something along the lines of "please don't buy that."

I'm pretty excited tbh, I think there's a good chance it'll be the best guitar I've ever owned.

Now all I need to do is get that blue JEM and then my circle is complete. Putting aside the fact that I cant decide between it and a Rick JetGlo.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Now all I need to do is get that blue JEM and then my circle is complete. Putting aside the fact that I cant decide between it and a Rick JetGlo.

I am obviously biased because... I like Super-Strats the best out of all of the guitars out there in the world. So if it was down to me, I'd say "get the JEM" - especially the one you linked with the crazy finish, that thing is so fucking cool! I cannot deny that Rickenbackers are phenomenal guitars - they're just... not really my style (my dad would love a JetGlo though - that's right up his alley in terms of guitars) - I've got nothing bad to say about that guitar, and if you got one I would think that's very cool...

but I'd say "get the JEM"

then we'll do our Steve Vai power poses and photoshop them into the same pic. We can get @Happy Blue with one of his pointy machines of death metal brutality on it too and photoshop ourselves into what would probably be the coolest fake album cover in the world.

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I am obviously biased because... I like Super-Strats the best out of all of the guitars out there in the world. So if it was down to me, I'd say "get the JEM" - especially the one you linked with the crazy finish, that thing is so fucking cool! I cannot deny that Rickenbackers are phenomenal guitars - they're just... not really my style (my dad would love a JetGlo though - that's right up his alley in terms of guitars) - I've got nothing bad to say about that guitar, and if you got one I would think that's very cool...

but I'd say "get the JEM"

then we'll do our Steve Vai power poses and photoshop them into the same pic. We can get @Happy Blue with one of his pointy machines of death metal brutality on it too and photoshop ourselves into what would probably be the coolest fake album cover in the world.

Oh I wasn't talking about a Rick guitar, I was talking about a JetGlo bass but you're right the JEM is the one I actually like (and can get because you know ... Japan) more.

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Oh I wasn't talking about a Rick guitar, I was talking about a JetGlo bass but you're right the JEM is the one I actually like (and cant get because you know ... Japan) more.

I didn't even know they made JetGlo basses.

Dunno why though because Rickenbacker is probably more famous for their basses than guitars xD

Unfortunately, I'm probably going to sell my ESP. It's just not getting played enough for a guitar as good as it is since I got the Jackson (which I'm going to drop to D Standard tuning because... fuck it, why not) - and I suspect it'll get played even less now that I've got this JEM incoming in about an hour. Great guitar... it just suffers from not being a super strat and me absolutely loving super strats. On the plus side, I'll probably get a good price for it because it's an absolutely brilliant guitar and the second someone plays it they'll know it's high quality.

So if you're in the market for an ESP E-II Eclipse circa 2012... I'm your man xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I didn't even know they made JetGlo basses.

Dunno why though because Rickenbacker is probably more famous for their basses than guitars xD

Long-term want of mine and then I realized that California laws have some weird thing where the wood can only be gotten at certain times so they make very limited numbers and only on request these days or so I hear. 

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Long-term want of mine and then I realized that California laws have some weird thing where the wood can only be gotten at certain times so they make very limited numbers and only on request these days or so I hear. 

I think the California restrictions on rosewood were lifted last year. There was also some international regulation.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
On 20/07/2021 at 02:17, Dr. Gonzo said:

Hands down my flashiest guitar. Now I just need to get home so I can play the fucking thing

That tree of life is very pretty. Granted its not the best for a beginner or a learning musician but it looks great in real life.

• Upvote 1

Apparently if I want to quote you (or use emojis), I won't be able to reply with how the forum is currently...

But yeah, I can definitely see what you mean about it maybe not being the best for a beginner. Although where the leaves branch out from the "tree" is typically where the markers on the fretboard would be, so maybe it takes a second or two longer... but I think it's still something that can be worked around. I mostly use the side dot inlays to navigate around any fretboard (I used to have a guitar with a fret inlay only on the 12th fret, so that might play a part in that)... and I think most people playing fretted instruments should probably be doing the same thing rather than relying on the fretboard (because it's not really... comfortable... to be constantly looking at the face of your fretboard as you play).

I can definitely see it annoying some of my friends when we jam if they want to follow along with what my hands are doing without me having to explain what I'm doing  - but that's rare enough to where I doubt I have to worry about it too much.

I'm loving the fucking guitar though. First guitar with DiMarzio pickups that I've ever owned and... gotta say, I'm a fan - they're incredible pickups. I've always been a Seymour Duncan kind of guy, so it's nice to see that their big competitor has some seriously great pickups out there. Kind of had my eyes closed to any non-Seymour Duncan pickups tbh. And like I've talked about with you... this is my first guitar with an Ibanez Edge tremolo and while it's very similar to a Floyd Rose, the few small design adjustments make it noticeably better imo.

@Mel81x just got home and went to load up my project on Cakewalk to fuck around with it...

FUCKING FILE CORRUPTED

Looked around on the internet for any way to sort of salvage any version of my song... learned this happens to lots of people and you should save multiple versions of a project. Sort of resigned myself to just starting the fucking song over, so I open a new project on Cakewalk...

and the bloody DAW crashes. I try again... it crashes again. I try again... it crashes again. I restart my PC... I try again, it stays open for about 3 minutes and then in the middle of recording... IT FUCKING CRASHES AGAIN.

So I'm fucking Cakewalk off and going back to Reaper... honestly, not to happy about it because I actually found I really liked Cakewalk and I felt like an absolute moron using Reaper because I didn't know how to do anything. But going back to Reaper, I will say that now that I'm a bit more familiar with DAWs generally, I'm way less confused.

I'm honestly fucking furious though that I basically have to start from scratch. I guess there's a lesson to be learned about the possibility of files getting corrupted and how I can save multiple versions of a project to prevent that. But I cannot put into words how fucking annoyed I am.

• Sad 1

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@Mel81x just got home and went to load up my project on Cakewalk to fuck around with it...

FUCKING FILE CORRUPTED

Looked around on the internet for any way to sort of salvage any version of my song... learned this happens to lots of people and you should save multiple versions of a project. Sort of resigned myself to just starting the fucking song over, so I open a new project on Cakewalk...

and the bloody DAW crashes. I try again... it crashes again. I try again... it crashes again. I restart my PC... I try again, it stays open for about 3 minutes and then in the middle of recording... IT FUCKING CRASHES AGAIN.

So I'm fucking Cakewalk off and going back to Reaper... honestly, not to happy about it because I actually found I really liked Cakewalk and I felt like an absolute moron using Reaper because I didn't know how to do anything. But going back to Reaper, I will say that now that I'm a bit more familiar with DAWs generally, I'm way less confused.

I'm honestly fucking furious though that I basically have to start from scratch. I guess there's a lesson to be learned about the possibility of files getting corrupted and how I can save multiple versions of a project to prevent that. But I cannot put into words how fucking annoyed I am.

What a painful lesson to learn and that just plain sucks. This is kind of why I stopped using certain apps on windows but this is the nature of the DAW beast. The fact that it kept failing consistently may have something to do with the interfaces attached? Did you try unplugging everything and just loading it up? I haven't particularly used Cakewalk a lot but I suppose its possible something in the BUS is not loading right.

12 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

What a painful lesson to learn and that just plain sucks. This is kind of why I stopped using certain apps on windows but this is the nature of the DAW beast. The fact that it kept failing consistently may have something to do with the interfaces attached? Did you try unplugging everything and just loading it up? I haven't particularly used Cakewalk a lot but I suppose its possible something in the BUS is not loading right.

Yeah - I tried unplugging everything and loading up, this made it crash extra quick (a project would open for about a half second... then the program would crash). I'd have more time between opening a project if I had the interface attached - which made me think it might be working for a few minutes, but it would crash.

The corrupted project wasn't a complete lost cause in trying to salvage, I managed to salvage my very first take on guitar (lol) and a couple of takes on the bass... so I'm not starting from complete scratch anymore.

I think Reaper is super unintuitive... but I do appreciate that the DAW is using way less processing power than Cakewalk did. So now it's a matter of slowly learning the workflow. People say Reaper is very user-friendly once you learn your way around it and there's a but if customising that can be done to personalise workflow... so I'll have to learn generally how it all works then probably delve into that to give it a layout that makes sense to my pebble smooth brain.

On the plus side, there's an absolute insane amount of Reaper tutorials on YouTube compared to Cakewalk.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

You know ive been meaning to ask the guitarists in here. I'm sure that everyone knows Bark at the Moon but does anyone have a way to get that guitar rhythm sound? I've looked at tutorials and for the life of me I always seem to add a little extra to it when I play it.

24 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

You know ive been meaning to ask the guitarists in here. I'm sure that everyone knows Bark at the Moon but does anyone have a way to get that guitar rhythm sound? I've looked at tutorials and for the life of me I always seem to add a little extra to it when I play it.

I'm not home right now so I can't try to tones-chase it until I get back but... I know what amp was used for that album. It was a Marshall Plexi - so if you've got anything that kind of emulates that tone... that would probably work. Jake E. Lee used a JCM800 live, so anything along those lines would also probably get you along the same lines.

I don't know how the amp was EQ'd though - to my ears it doesn't sound like that 80s "max out all the dials of your Plexi" tone that so many bands used... if I had to guess, the treble's set the highest of the 3 band EQ (do Plexi's have a presence, if so that's probably high too... and if treble's not set the highest, that's probably maxed out).

I think it's boosted with an overdrive... I also think there's some phaser effect (at least at some parts).

That's probably not too helpful for dialing the tone in, but I hope at least some of it was helpful.

@Mel81x... after fucking around on Amplitube (their JCM800 model, if that helps - but I think any gainy Marshall sound should get close tbh) last night trying to recreate it - I sort of found myself having the same problem. I'm either giving it too much gain and/or treble... or I've not got enough gain and/or treble. So I dialed in a tone that sounded close-ish and rolled off a bit of gain and presence & put an overdrive sim with the gain almost all the way down (let's say at like .1 gain), the level I had about 3/4ths of the way to fully turned up, and the tone I had at about 1 or 2 oclock... that was much closer than trying to get the sound from just the amp...

...but it still wasn't quite right

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

For years I have known that Cliff Burton was a super bassist and while I always think that his crowning achievement as a bassist will be Orion for me I was going back through the catalog where he played and went back to the first album Kill Em All and in particular the track No Remorse. It's so subtle when you start to practice it but this asshole is switching rhythmic patterns in the middle of a metal song and it doesn't sound out of place.

The only problem with practicing something like this is that if you fall into the trap that its a single rhythm pattern it sounds right and if you do it the way he does it then you understand why he is so revered by many bassists. Its also a good exercise I don't recommend after running in the morning haha.

Also, does anyone feel like this song has parts that scream the title electronic set from Doom 2?

For reference

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

I keep forgetting about this thread :4_joy: ..you happy with it? looks cool B| ..DiMarzio's? 

Yeah man, I love it! It’s my first guitar with DiMarzios… they’re really nice pickups. It’s very easy to play & the Ibanez style Floyd Rose is pretty excellent.

Turns out Steve Vai knows a thing or 2 about guitars xD - it’s a really well designed guitar

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah man, I love it! It’s my first guitar with DiMarzios… they’re really nice pickups. It’s very easy to play & the Ibanez style Floyd Rose is pretty excellent.

Turns out Steve Vai knows a thing or 2 about guitars xD - it’s a really well designed guitar

Well, if one of the greatest guitar players of all time doesn't know a thing or two about guitars, who would? :4_joy: ..glad you happy with it 👍

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Well, if one of the greatest guitar players of all time doesn't know a thing or two about guitars, who would? :4_joy: ..glad you happy with it 👍

I wonder if Vai would cringe as I play my ugly caveman riffs on his beautiful signature model xD

• Haha 1