talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Making Music

football forum

10 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Nice. The fact that more builders are putting these in their tools is a good thing. The only question now is how good the quality is although if you get close to whatever peddle you're mimicking who really cares. I have started learning how to pedal shift a lot these days. It's quite hard when you have to go from one tone to the other and you get no way to actually decrease the volume of what you're playing. I have new found respect for folks who can switch and change the mode settings in real-time on stage what a skill. 

Oh yeah. I definitely think it’s much harder with a full on pedalboard than with modelers too. The more little toe taps you have to do just makes it more of a pain in the arse.

Truthfully though most of the time I jam with a real amp and pedals I have my very basic setup with really like one or two tones xD so for me it’s not so bad.

It’s much easier with a modeler though when you can set the output volume for each patch to keep things consistent when you switch between them though. Although switching between different modes on modelers can be crap

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oh yeah. I definitely think it’s much harder with a full on pedalboard than with modelers too. The more little toe taps you have to do just makes it more of a pain in the arse.

Truthfully though most of the time I jam with a real amp and pedals I have my very basic setup with really like one or two tones xD so for me it’s not so bad.

It’s much easier with a modeler though when you can set the output volume for each patch to keep things consistent when you switch between them though. Although switching between different modes on modelers can be crap

I think folks must be excellent at tap-dancing to do this. Today, as an example, I was trying to switch from a delay set to a harder tone set then back to delay and the hard part is really just understanding how to switch them at the right time otherwise you get such a horrible noise (even with a bass). But its getting better and this is like anything else with music, practice practice practice.

I used to think that using a looper was hard and then this has now come up. The good news is that I am not alone as the band guitarist also suffers from this particular affliction. 

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

I think folks must be excellent at tap-dancing to do this. Today, as an example, I was trying to switch from a delay set to a harder tone set then back to delay and the hard part is really just understanding how to switch them at the right time otherwise you get such a horrible noise (even with a bass). But its getting better and this is like anything else with music, practice practice practice.

I used to think that using a looper was hard and then this has now come up. The good news is that I am not alone as the band guitarist also suffers from this particular affliction. 

I think EVERYONE has a hard time with it tbh. You have to be really aware of where your pedals are, what tone you’ll be kicking in with each of them, and what order to turn them on/off. It’s tough, especially in a band context where you’ve got the band mix to worry about.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

@Dr. Gonzo @Happy Blue

Spent a little time today with the band going over a Porcupine Tree song and we wanted to change the intro with a little bit of a difference in the way the song comes in. Mostly shimmer and delay on the guitar parts and a delay with sub-push on the bass and some octave pings (bass). Pardon the poor audio quality, this is not via the DI but just the room.

https://voca.ro/1kA3JTyxRNIw

Thoughts?

Original

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

@Dr. Gonzo @Happy Blue

Spent a little time today with the band going over a Porcupine Tree song and we wanted to change the intro with a little bit of a difference in the way the song comes in. Mostly shimmer and delay on the guitar parts and a delay with sub-push on the bass and some octave pings (bass). Pardon the poor audio quality, this is not via the DI but just the room.

Thoughts?

Original

Sounds good bud 👍 captures the essence of the song and they prob play it different live anyway

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

@Dr. Gonzo @Happy Blue

Thoughts?

Original

Yeah that’s a nice reinterpretation of the intro. Good cover!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

@Dr. Gonzo thinking of doing this to my 6505mh, do you think it sounds better with these tubes?

I’d have to hear it with the same cab & mics with the original valves in it to see a good back to back comparison tbh. It’s hard to say. Sounded like a 5150 to me xD

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

It sounds better than mine to me :4_joy:

You gotta be careful with YouTube demos of stuff that isn’t going direct into an interface because a lot of the sound is going to depend on the room, the mic used, the placement of the mic, and what cabinet is going to be used.

That’s why shit like the Anderson’s videos and Ola demos are cool… but you also have to take it with a pinch of salt - and why so many of their videos also include “room mics” so you get a better idea of how it sounds in a room.

this guys done a video testing an amp with cab & mic placement kept the same and shows what changing the valves does - I think it’s worth a watch.

Changing valves makes a difference, but it’s slight and I’m not sure it’s worth swapping tubes when you don’t need to

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You gotta be careful with YouTube demos of stuff that isn’t going direct into an interface because a lot of the sound is going to depend on the room, the mic used, the placement of the mic, and what cabinet is going to be used.

That’s why shit like the Anderson’s videos and Ola demos are cool… but you also have to take it with a pinch of salt - and why so many of their videos also include “room mics” so you get a better idea of how it sounds in a room.

this guys done a video testing an amp with cab & mic placement kept the same and shows what changing the valves does - I think it’s worth a watch.

Changing valves makes a difference, but it’s slight and I’m not sure it’s worth swapping tubes when you don’t need to

Think a whole section of the guitar amp world went quiet after that video came out.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Think a whole section of the guitar amp world went quiet after that video came out.

Nah tons of people bitched at him because they didn't want to let go of their opinions they'd held for years xD - the guitar community is full of people like that, sadly. Which isn't to say I don't think some people can validly like the subtle changes of having their valves swapped out - especially with the way the power valves sort of change the taper of the master volume/gain... I just think it's pretty clear a lot of the "feel" of an amp isn't really the same as how it actually sounds in a comparison like that.

I quite like the SMG videos - I don't always agree with Glen Fricker (why's he hate bassists so much? xD the bass player I jam with all the time is maybe the best musician I know - he's also one of the only people we jam with that can also play the bass well so he does that)... but a lot of the time I think his opinions on things are spot on.

And videos like that where he takes the time to come up with a method to test something, then show you his test and what he found his results are... it's just hard to argue with his video based off "long standing guitar community opinions" - same with his video about tone wood for electric guitars (which also pissed a lot of people off). But he'll never hesitate to tell you whether he honestly thinks something is good or if he thinks it's shit and he'll give you his reasoning too... so I quite like his opinions on things.

And for someone like me, who thinks guitar gear is cool and seemingly has a constant need to let gear companies take my money... I like how he's very pro-consumer & won't hesitate to let you know if he thinks something is overpriced or if there's cheaper options that can be an equal or better fit. I've also learned a lot about using Reaper from him (and a couple other YouTubers) and gotten some great free plugins due to his recommendations.

Some people just hate him because of his "angry old metalhead" act - but that's really just his character for his show, I think. Overall I think his content is quite good, lots of useful info and a guy who backs up his opinion and rationale with evidence... plus I think his angry-guy shtick is funny as fuck.

• Upvote 1

On 11/06/2022 at 13:19, Happy Blue said:

@Dr. Gonzo @Mel81xcheck this out, only £250 too :o

Kind of mental how many good sounding cheap modelers are around now.

The only thing I'll say about these companies is I started having an issue with my Mooer GE200 last week (it turns on... but none of the footswitches or knobs on it work - so I can only change what preset I'm using if I'm connected to a PC - and tbh if I'm going to be sat in front of my computer using digital amps... I could just be using a plugin xD)... and Mooer's customer support has been really unresponsive.

Compare that to Yamaha/Line6 where you get a fairly quick response with even minor issues - I think that's definitely something I will be considering if I can't get Mooer to resolve this issue for me sometime soon. Cos if I've got to spend a few hundred quid on something, if something goes wrong out of the warranty period... I'd like to be able to resolve the issue and keep using the thing I spent the money on as it was intended to be used.

So after a few weeks of throwing praise at these companies for giving us all of these cheap options... I now have one word of warning: the support compared to some of the bigger companies in terms of support.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nah tons of people bitched at him because they didn't want to let go of their opinions they'd held for years xD - the guitar community is full of people like that, sadly. Which isn't to say I don't think some people can validly like the subtle changes of having their valves swapped out - especially with the way the power valves sort of change the taper of the master volume/gain... I just think it's pretty clear a lot of the "feel" of an amp isn't really the same as how it actually sounds in a comparison like that.

I quite like the SMG videos - I don't always agree with Glen Fricker (why's he hate bassists so much? xD the bass player I jam with all the time is maybe the best musician I know - he's also one of the only people we jam with that can also play the bass well so he does that)... but a lot of the time I think his opinions on things are spot on.

And videos like that where he takes the time to come up with a method to test something, then show you his test and what he found his results are... it's just hard to argue with his video based off "long standing guitar community opinions" - same with his video about tone wood for electric guitars (which also pissed a lot of people off). But he'll never hesitate to tell you whether he honestly thinks something is good or if he thinks it's shit and he'll give you his reasoning too... so I quite like his opinions on things.

And for someone like me, who thinks guitar gear is cool and seemingly has a constant need to let gear companies take my money... I like how he's very pro-consumer & won't hesitate to let you know if he thinks something is overpriced or if there's cheaper options that can be an equal or better fit. I've also learned a lot about using Reaper from him (and a couple other YouTubers) and gotten some great free plugins due to his recommendations.

Some people just hate him because of his "angry old metalhead" act - but that's really just his character for his show, I think. Overall I think his content is quite good, lots of useful info and a guy who backs up his opinion and rationale with evidence... plus I think his angry-guy shtick is funny as fuck.

One of the best things going around is you need instrument X to sound or play a particular genre. I used to have a person I played with who refused to play anything but a Fender P Bass and he literally had something bad to say about anything out there. One day we went into a jam and someone said hey man listen to my brother playing Another One Bites the Dust and he instantly said that bass sounds so good it can only be a FenderP and my friend starts giggling and say nope that's a Yamaha. It didn't even take a second for him to change his opinion and find flaws in the bass playing post that.

I quite like the SMG videos and more so for the very reason you like them, straight, to the point and no messing about with the consumer. If it does X it will do X and that's it, backed up with a bit of science to reinforce the fact. 

I always feel like I missed an opportunity to get a real chugging machine and stayed on the more classic rock path but after watching that gentleman in the demo playing all that stuff on what conceivably could end up being an Ibanez purchase for me has made me think I might just give it a go again ... Or a Jackson, I have a silly love-hate relationship with those guitars and why I like them is something I have never been able to explain.

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Glen is a bit of an arse, he hates Line 6 which i really rate, i think he talks out his arse alot 😂 but i will give it a watch and do more research 👍 

5 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Or a Jackson, I have a silly love-hate relationship with those guitars and why I like them is something I have never been able to explain.

I'm curious... what's the hate part of that relationship like? I'm curious because I absolutely love Jacksons - definitely because of their necks. But that's definitely something that's very much the player's personal preference - I like Ibanez and Jackson for using very thin necks... but Jackson's necks aren't quite as thin as Ibanez ones, which feels better to my hands, and the compound radius fretboards are just great for comfort/playability.

Even the super cheap Jacksons I've played had really great necks (although the fretwork was a bit rough on the very cheapest ones)... and those X Series Jacksons (my current Jackson, which is for sure my favourite guitar, is an X series) are excellent value for money imo. The Pro series and above are all... outstanding guitars too.

I actually think they're a lot like Ibanez tbh - at all price points, I think they make fantastic guitars. And the "cheaper" ones present some great value - whereas the more expensive premium stuff I feel like you get the quality and craftsmanship you'd want if you're spending that much on a guitar. Tbh I feel the same way about Schecter and ESP/Ltd.... but I just generally prefer Jackson and Ibanez necks - especially compared to Schecter necks which can be chunky as fuck tbh.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Glen is a bit of an arse, he hates Line 6 which i really rate, i think he talks out his arse alot 😂 but i will give it a watch and do more research 👍 

He likes the Line 6 Helix stuff. He doesn't like the Spider amps at all - but that's mostly because it doesn't use traditional guitar speakers. So if you use it for recording in a mix, it just doesn't sit the best compared to amps that use typical guitar speakers. It's also using older Line 6 modeling tech which sounds pretty dated compared to some of the newer stuff out there using the newer Helix stuff for Line 6 or some of the competitors.

He's done some videos where he admits he thinks it's fine as a bedroom practice amp, but he's had enough clients who want to record on their Line 6 amps dialed in for their bedroom tone without a care for how they sound in the band mix... and that's probably going to sound like shit to most people xD - but probably especially to someone who's been trained on recording and engineering. And probably frustrating as hell for him when he's been hired to record bands "sounding their best" and he's got a studio full of top level gear to fuck around with.

Cos I don't think there's anything wrong with a Spider as a practice amp, or even for home recording as a hobbyist.. but if I'm paying someone to record an album, I'd probably want to use the big boy gear over what's traditionally a practice amp.

But with videos like the one I posted, I think it's hard to disagree with him because he walks you though the entire process and explains what he's doing and you can see and hear what is going on... and it makes it pretty clear what swapping out valves in his amps actually does differently for the amp. And there's a difference... but it's not the difference I thought it would be, or as significant of a difference tonally as I thought it would be.

But yeah, he's definitely very opinionated... and I certainly don't always agree with his opinions. But he's got a POV of someone who's a trained sound engineer and that's not always going to be the same POV that we're going to have as people who just play guitar for fun. From his perspective, the Line 6 Spider amps are something that just make his job harder. From our perspective, the Line 6 Spider amp is an amp that's good at getting a wide range of tones to sound good easily for fucking around at home.

We've got a totally different intended use for amps like that than he's really thinking about - and it's always worth considering his perspective on gear demos as a sound engineer compared to ours as hobbyists.

@Mel81x's also going to have a bit of a different perspective because he's in a band... whereas I just jam with my friends if I'm not playing by myself & imo that's a bit different of an experience to when I was younger and in a band.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He likes the Line 6 Helix stuff. He doesn't like the Spider amps at all - but that's mostly because it doesn't use traditional guitar speakers. So if you use it for recording in a mix, it just doesn't sit the best compared to amps that use typical guitar speakers. It's also using older Line 6 modeling tech which sounds pretty dated compared to some of the newer stuff out there using the newer Helix stuff for Line 6 or some of the competitors.

He's done some videos where he admits he thinks it's fine as a bedroom practice amp, but he's had enough clients who want to record on their Line 6 amps dialed in for their bedroom tone without a care for how they sound in the band mix... and that's probably going to sound like shit to most people xD - but probably especially to someone who's been trained on recording and engineering. And probably frustrating as hell for him when he's been hired to record bands "sounding their best" and he's got a studio full of top level gear to fuck around with.

Cos I don't think there's anything wrong with a Spider as a practice amp, or even for home recording as a hobbyist.. but if I'm paying someone to record an album, I'd probably want to use the big boy gear over what's traditionally a practice amp.

But with videos like the one I posted, I think it's hard to disagree with him because he walks you though the entire process and explains what he's doing and you can see and hear what is going on... and it makes it pretty clear what swapping out valves in his amps actually does differently for the amp. And there's a difference... but it's not the difference I thought it would be, or as significant of a difference tonally as I thought it would be.

But yeah, he's definitely very opinionated... and I certainly don't always agree with his opinions. But he's got a POV of someone who's a trained sound engineer and that's not always going to be the same POV that we're going to have as people who just play guitar for fun. From his perspective, the Line 6 Spider amps are something that just make his job harder. From our perspective, the Line 6 Spider amp is an amp that's good at getting a wide range of tones to sound good easily for fucking around at home.

We've got a totally different intended use for amps like that than he's really thinking about - and it's always worth considering his perspective on gear demos as a sound engineer compared to ours as hobbyists.

@Mel81x's also going to have a bit of a different perspective because he's in a band... whereas I just jam with my friends if I'm not playing by myself & imo that's a bit different of an experience to when I was younger and in a band.

I agree, the spider combo practice amps are great at bedroom volumes, Glenn just outright trashes them from what i've seen :o ..sure it's going to sound like crap if you turn the volume right up but at under half volume it sounds better than my 6505mh valve amp 😂 ..is Glenn a bit of a gear snob?

Edited by Happy Blue

6 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

I agree, the spider combo practice amps are great at bedroom volumes, Glenn just outright trashes them from what i've seen :o ..sure it's going to sound like crap if you turn the volume right up but at under half volume it sounds better than my 6505mh valve amp 😂 ..is Glenn a bit of a gear snob?

He's for sure a bit of a gear snob - but if you think about it, it makes sense cos he's a sound engineer. So with him he's not going to be wanting to work at quiet volumes. He's also very clearly more of a fan of using guitar speakers for amps and I think the Spider not using an actual guitar speaker really just pisses him the fuck off xD

But he's also not that much of a gear snob compared to a shitload of other people on the internet. He's not really all that big on Gibson or Fractal stuff, because he thinks it's way overpriced compared to the competitors (he's also generally not a fan of Fractal because they push shit that costs thousands and then when they've got new models out they really go after their customers trying to upgrade). One thing I like about him is he really doesn't want people to waste their money if there's cheaper stuff that does what the more expensive bigger name brands have out there.

I don't hate the Line 6 Spider amp - I had one when I was a kid and it was a MASSIVE upgrade on my first ever practice amp (which was one of those Crate piece of shit practice amps)... but I've also used other practice amps that I did think sound a hell of a lot better - and tbh, I do like the ones that use "normal" guitar speakers better than things like the Line 6 Spider or the Yamaha THR10... so I can see where he's coming from with his POV too.

I'm a bit surprised you hate your 6505MH so much xD. Are you using it in the lowest power mode still? If it's still too loud for home use (and I know you've got a kid... or kids, so I know that being able to sound good at low volume is important)... it could just be that 100% valve power amps are just always going to be too loud for you at home. That's the case for me at home too - when I use an amp at home, I've got to use my Joyo, which still uses a valve for the pre-amp section but the power section is totally solid state... which is much better for keeping good tone at low volumes. And the thing sounds great loud through a big cabinet as well. But I think at least 90% of the time now, when I play at home I'm using a plugin on a computer or my modeler - it's just easier to get the tone I want without upsetting my wife or the neighborhood xD

Just remember when he talks about the Line 6 Spider he's: 1.) coming from a completely different perspective to how the amp is typically used - as a practice amp at home for most people; 2.) putting on his "angry-man" character for humour and the Line 6 Spider is a pretty easy target, especially nowadays because the tech has moved on so much that it's a pretty dated modeling amp. Don't take it too serious. 3.) his target audience is people who are into home recording - so his gear reviews are always going to be more from the perspective of what's good for recording. Shit like practice amps... they're not the best recording tools, really, so his view is always going to be a bit skewed.

When he's shitting on products that are very expensive though, take that much more seriously than him going after the Line 6 Spider and Marshall Code. Because his criticism there is usually much more balanced than when he says shit like "this bedroom amp is completely shit for recording an album" xD - no shit Glen, it's a bedroom amp... that's not what people are buying it for.

I'm a big fan because... well... I fit pretty neatly into his target audience, don't I? I'm a metalhead that's into home recording & that jams with people quite a bit - so I've found his channel to be pretty useful. But for reviewing practice amps, he's not the best guy to go to because it's just not really his specialty. Cos with a practice amp, does it matter so much how you sound in a mix if you're mostly just playing with yourself? Not really - you just want something that'll sound good to you and is easy to use.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He's for sure a bit of a gear snob - but if you think about it, it makes sense cos he's a sound engineer. So with him he's not going to be wanting to work at quiet volumes. He's also very clearly more of a fan of using guitar speakers for amps and I think the Spider not using an actual guitar speaker really just pisses him the fuck off xD

But he's also not that much of a gear snob compared to a shitload of other people on the internet. He's not really all that big on Gibson or Fractal stuff, because he thinks it's way overpriced compared to the competitors (he's also generally not a fan of Fractal because they push shit that costs thousands and then when they've got new models out they really go after their customers trying to upgrade). One thing I like about him is he really doesn't want people to waste their money if there's cheaper stuff that does what the more expensive bigger name brands have out there.

I don't hate the Line 6 Spider amp - I had one when I was a kid and it was a MASSIVE upgrade on my first ever practice amp (which was one of those Crate piece of shit practice amps)... but I've also used other practice amps that I did think sound a hell of a lot better - and tbh, I do like the ones that use "normal" guitar speakers better than things like the Line 6 Spider or the Yamaha THR10... so I can see where he's coming from with his POV too.

I'm a bit surprised you hate your 6505MH so much xD. Are you using it in the lowest power mode still? If it's still too loud for home use (and I know you've got a kid... or kids, so I know that being able to sound good at low volume is important)... it could just be that 100% valve power amps are just always going to be too loud for you at home. That's the case for me at home too - when I use an amp at home, I've got to use my Joyo, which still uses a valve for the pre-amp section but the power section is totally solid state... which is much better for keeping good tone at low volumes. And the thing sounds great loud through a big cabinet as well. But I think at least 90% of the time now, when I play at home I'm using a plugin on a computer or my modeler - it's just easier to get the tone I want without upsetting my wife or the neighborhood xD

Just remember when he talks about the Line 6 Spider he's: 1.) coming from a completely different perspective to how the amp is typically used - as a practice amp at home for most people; 2.) putting on his "angry-man" character for humour and the Line 6 Spider is a pretty easy target, especially nowadays because the tech has moved on so much that it's a pretty dated modeling amp. Don't take it too serious. 3.) his target audience is people who are into home recording - so his gear reviews are always going to be more from the perspective of what's good for recording. Shit like practice amps... they're not the best recording tools, really, so his view is always going to be a bit skewed.

When he's shitting on products that are very expensive though, take that much more seriously than him going after the Line 6 Spider and Marshall Code. Because his criticism there is usually much more balanced than when he says shit like "this bedroom amp is completely shit for recording an album" xD - no shit Glen, it's a bedroom amp... that's not what people are buying it for.

I'm a big fan because... well... I fit pretty neatly into his target audience, don't I? I'm a metalhead that's into home recording & that jams with people quite a bit - so I've found his channel to be pretty useful. But for reviewing practice amps, he's not the best guy to go to because it's just not really his specialty. Cos with a practice amp, does it matter so much how you sound in a mix if you're mostly just playing with yourself? Not really - you just want something that'll sound good to you and is easy to use.

I think my spider 75watt amp has a 12" celestion speaker 🤔 it sounds good loud but if you push it to gig loud it breaks up and sounds crap 😂 ..yeah, i love the Machine Head tone but this little bastard is just not delivering and i use on 20watt mode too 😂 i know Machine Head have modded there heads, i think changing the tubes will change the tone from what i've watched and read ..got it in my front room now sat on my 2x12 cab, it's just not punchy enough for my taste, does a great AC/DC tone but chasing more of a dual rectifier tone without breaking the bank 😂 thudding punchy lows with clarity and an evil tone

Yeah, think Glenn and i are at different ends of the spectrum lol, he rubbed me up the wrong way shitting on Line 6 gear when it does in fact sound decent, i can get everything from Mashuggah, Pink Floyd, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Slayer, Sabbath, Priest and great cleans too