talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Making Music

football forum

7 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

No it does after its been on 30mins or so, its 4 years old so think they are designed to break arnt they after a period of time

Is it a laptop? My PC is a dinosaur but it's one of those tower desktops not a laptop, so I've been able to shove some more RAM in there. In my experience, laptops age much less gracefully than PCs and they're not exactly easy to put new parts in (I don't even know if you can do that with a laptop xD)

34 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Is it a laptop? My PC is a dinosaur but it's one of those tower desktops not a laptop, so I've been able to shove some more RAM in there. In my experience, laptops age much less gracefully than PCs and they're not exactly easy to put new parts in (I don't even know if you can do that with a laptop xD)

Yeah its a laptop, the case is half hanging off with a screen hinge coming un screwed and ive spilt paint on it a few times, and engine oil 😂 ..do you think I can take it back to the shop? 🤔lol ..think its had the odd brew or two aswell :ph34r:

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Yeah its a laptop, the case is half hanging off with a screen hinge coming un screwed and ive spilt paint on it a few times, and engine oil 😂 ..do you think I can take it back to the shop? 🤔lol ..think its had the odd brew or two aswell :ph34r:

Yeah alright that thing might be on it's last legs xD

• Haha 2

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

When they say you can do "everything" with your laptop they don't really mean everything. Phew.

• Haha 2

• Subscriber

Got inspired in the key of Em today and did this little diddy. Let me know what you guys think. Tonnes of mistakes through it and yes its a classical guitar.

https://voca.ro/1nBdLjJI3PJP

The interesting thing here is there's a reverb channel on the right and a clean channel on the left and when you mix the two you get a very nice little sweet spot where the bass notes get a little tighter but it also shows how much more practice my rhythm needs.

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Got inspired in the key of Em today and did this little diddy. Let me know what you guys think. Tonnes of mistakes through it and yes its a classical guitar.

https://voca.ro/1nBdLjJI3PJP

The interesting thing here is there's a reverb channel on the right and a clean channel on the left and when you mix the two you get a very nice little sweet spot where the bass notes get a little tighter but it also shows how much more practice my rhythm needs.

Very nice mate, I like the chord progression B|

• 3 weeks later...

@Dr. Gonzo @Mel81x Ordered one of these cheap Jackson 7 strings a few days ago (JS22-7T Dinky in satin black matt finish) think it's a steal for the price at a little over £200 and it comes with the jackson high output pickups which are in my £600 Warrior too which sound really good. i plan on upgrading the bridge to a hipshot and get some locking tuners in time, kind of like a little project, i might even try re-shape the head stock, looks about an inch too long :35_thinking: 😂  ..it's a hardtail so can mess around with tunings, prob going to have it in A standard

dcwr9lfk3sm81.jpg

FSGEJAC91013268.1.jpg

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

@Dr. Gonzo @Mel81x Ordered one of these cheap Jackson 7 strings a few days ago (JS22-7T Dinky in satin black matt finish) think it's a steal for the price at a little over £200 and it comes with the jackson high output pickups which are in my £600 Warrior too which sound really good. i plan on upgrading the bridge to a hipshot and get some locking tuners in time, kind of like a little project, i might even try re-shape the head stock, looks about an inch too long :35_thinking: 😂  ..it's a hardtail so can mess around with tunings, prob going to have it in A standard

dcwr9lfk3sm81.jpg

FSGEJAC91013268.1.jpg

That looks really nice for a guitar so cheap! The Jackson JS line seems perfect for project guitars.

Enjoy mate!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That looks really nice for a guitar so cheap! The Jackson JS line seems perfect for project guitars.

Enjoy mate!

Thanks bud, think it arrives next weekend, they sell out fast. when I first seen it I was thinking it would be crap at that price but on a closer look its got the pickups they put in the mid range guitars like my warrior so that got me interested so searched for more information and this video sold me :4_joy: it sounds decent here so its probably just the cheap bridge and none locking tuners that let it down, dont think the wood matters all that much apart from it will not be as strong as heavier woods ..sounds good in a mix, what you think? 🤔 

8 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Thanks bud, think it arrives next weekend, they sell out fast. when I first seen it I was thinking it would be crap at that price but on a closer look its got the pickups they put in the mid range guitars like my warrior so that got me interested so searched for more information and this video sold me :4_joy: it sounds decent here so its probably just the cheap bridge and none locking tuners that let it down, dont think the wood matters all that much apart from it will not be as strong as heavier woods ..sounds good in a mix, what you think? 🤔 

Imo for electric guitars the type of wood doesn’t matter so much for tone. It’s mostly the pickups and the amp. So if you like those pickups, you’ll be able to get tones you like out of it. Especially with your modeler as that effectively gives you a fuckload of amps to mess around with.

So yeah it’s probably just the hardware that “let’s it down” - I’ve never had a guitar with a hipshot bridge so I can’t comment on them, but I know they’re really popular. I’ve only really ever swapped out one bridge and only because the other one was just so fucked.

So if it was me I think the first upgrade I’d do is the locking tuners. One of the best upgrades to hardtail guitars just for the fast string changes

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Mel81x said:

We got asked to play a wedding this weekend and honestly quite excited. The better part is that they asked us to do 80s/90s music which makes me feel even more comfortable haha. 

Nice mate!

@Mel81x (I'm quoting you so idk why I've tagged you) and @Happy Blue... have you lads seen this? https://metalinjection.net/news/dudes-only-play-extreme-metal-to-impress-other-dudes-according-to-one-study xD

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Happy Blue said:

Pedal board on a budget 😆 these cheap pedals are actually very good, wouldn't trust the cardboard though lol:ph34r:

20220920_093254.jpg

I used to just velcro pedals to an old skateboard that I literally never used (I don't even really know where it came from xD) when I was a kid. Then I got one of those knockoff Amazon brands for that looks like one of those expensive pedalboard companies (PedalTrain? maybe, idk) for quite cheap.

Those Behringer pedals are meant to be quite nice replicas of some of the bigger named pedals out there - basically the same circuits as a lot of the famous brands, with the same parts (because they buy the parts from Behringer). Like that 808 overdrive is the same as an Ibanez 808 tubescreamer, the HM300 is the famous Boss HM-2 (but in pink, which arguably makes it even more brutal). I'm sure that fuzz is great too! But I don't know a fucking thing about fuzz pedals because I've never managed to ever make one sound the way I like.

You ever find it gets quite noisy with a 5150 & the overdrive? Maybe it's just my guitars, but with the same amp (or same style amp - lately when I jam with my mates I've been using my friend's Fender EVH5150 and holy fuck, what an amp!)... I absolutely need a noise gate.

What's the Mimiq? A looper? Or delay?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I used to just velcro pedals to an old skateboard that I literally never used (I don't even really know where it came from xD) when I was a kid. Then I got one of those knockoff Amazon brands for that looks like one of those expensive pedalboard companies (PedalTrain? maybe, idk) for quite cheap.

Those Behringer pedals are meant to be quite nice replicas of some of the bigger named pedals out there - basically the same circuits as a lot of the famous brands, with the same parts (because they buy the parts from Behringer). Like that 808 overdrive is the same as an Ibanez 808 tubescreamer, the HM300 is the famous Boss HM-2 (but in pink, which arguably makes it even more brutal). I'm sure that fuzz is great too! But I don't know a fucking thing about fuzz pedals because I've never managed to ever make one sound the way I like.

You ever find it gets quite noisy with a 5150 & the overdrive? Maybe it's just my guitars, but with the same amp (or same style amp - lately when I jam with my mates I've been using my friend's Fender EVH5150 and holy fuck, what an amp!)... I absolutely need a noise gate.

What's the Mimiq? A looper? Or delay?

Haha i guess what ever works 😂 might of been tricky having your skate board wheel away and do flips will your trying to stomp the pedals though lol ...yeah, these pedals are great especially for £20, you should try some. the pink one's pink because pink floyd used the boss version on the wall album, obviously  Gilmour didn't max it out to get the Entombed buzz saw sound, would of been funny if the tec set it up wrong live 🤣 ..it can get loud with the screamer clone, i use the amp on 20watt mode too, it sounds better lol, i should get a noise gate next :ph34r: 

Highly recommend the fuzz pedal, its based on the boss hyper fuzz and it's brutal, you want to play doom metal and this is what you need, check this video out, been using the fuzz a lot lately, if the world was going to end, this is the noise that would comes with it 😂 ..the Mimiq is a doubler, it doubles your guitar signal upto 4 times so you can thicken your sound and sound like other guitars are playing with you. it also ables you to split the signal and play in stereo, great bit of kit

Edited by Happy Blue
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

Haha i guess what ever works 😂 might of been tricky having your skate board wheel away and do flips will your trying to stomp the pedals though lol ...yeah, these pedals are great especially for £20, you should try some. the pink one's pink because pink floyd used the boss version on the wall album, obviously  Gilmour didn't max it out to get the Entombed buzz saw sound, would of been funny if the tec set it up wrong live 🤣 ..it can get loud with the screamer clone, i use the amp on 20watt mode too, it sounds better lol, i should get a noise gate next :ph34r: 

Highly recommend the fuzz pedal, its based on the boss hyper fuzz and it's brutal, you want to play doom metal and this is what you need, check this video out, been using the fuzz a lot lately, if the world was going to end, this is the noise that would comes with it 😂 ..the Mimiq is a doubler, it doubles your guitar signal upto 4 times so you can thicken your sound and sound like other guitars are playing with you. it also ables you to split the signal and play in stereo, great bit of kit

Haha I took the wheels off when I decided to use it as a pedal board. I just ordered that pink Behringer - I've wanted one for a while but they must be pretty popular because I remember a year ago they were sold out on the place I order gear from for a very, very, very long time.

If you're in the market for a noise gate at any point, I'd recommend the TC Electronics Sentry. It's a bit like the Boss NS-2... but honestly a lot better because of the mode switch on top (you get 2 modes and then a setting where you can send presets into the pedal through your guitar pickups... I've only done that once though to use Gary Holt's noise suppression settings and... they didn't really work out for me xD - but it's cool that shit exists).

Mimiq seems pretty cool - I've never really used a doubler other than that one John Petrucci plugin I've got that has one built in and... it's pretty great for getting incredible thick rhythms. Also cool that you can play in stereo!

Yeah that fuzz sounds quite good. I should maybe mess around with some on my Pod & see if I can find some fuzz use that fits me better. I remember always hating fuzz pedals when I used them though. Probably because I'm a fucking caveman xD

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Haha I took the wheels off when I decided to use it as a pedal board. I just ordered that pink Behringer - I've wanted one for a while but they must be pretty popular because I remember a year ago they were sold out on the place I order gear from for a very, very, very long time.

If you're in the market for a noise gate at any point, I'd recommend the TC Electronics Sentry. It's a bit like the Boss NS-2... but honestly a lot better because of the mode switch on top (you get 2 modes and then a setting where you can send presets into the pedal through your guitar pickups... I've only done that once though to use Gary Holt's noise suppression settings and... they didn't really work out for me xD - but it's cool that shit exists).

Mimiq seems pretty cool - I've never really used a doubler other than that one John Petrucci plugin I've got that has one built in and... it's pretty great for getting incredible thick rhythms. Also cool that you can play in stereo!

Yeah that fuzz sounds quite good. I should maybe mess around with some on my Pod & see if I can find some fuzz use that fits me better. I remember always hating fuzz pedals when I used them though. Probably because I'm a fucking caveman xD

That makes more sense 😂 ..nice one, your going to love it if you dig that Entombed sound. there fuzz pedal can be hard to get as well so grab it when you can if you like the Cathedral, electric wizard, doom metal tone. got a good fuzz on my GP-200 which i mix with the distortion from a dual rec for an even more brutal My Dying Bride kind of sound, i'm addicted to heavy fuzz at the minute 😂

Thanks for the recommendation, did you know TC Electronics is Behringer? it's like there higher end stuff so i know it will be good and explains why it's an upgraded clone of something else lol  ..the Mimiq is TC Electronics too, stereo  makes a huge difference to the sound, it's worth it just for that feature  

I've only just started messing with fuzz too, see what you can dial in with your Pod, add a bit of amp distortion and octave, pitchshift too, you will make a sound so heavy and brutal you will just be holding cords and watching the windows rattle :rofl:

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Happy Blue said:

Stick it on ebay? 🤔 or get one of them kits and build your own guitar 🎸 😎

I thought about selling it, but they don't seem to be going for very much on ebay or reverb right now compared to what I bought it for. Probably should have bought it second hand off the internet instead of buying direct from the manufacturer is what that's telling me...

I don't mind the idea of building my own guitar... my wife probably does though xD

• Haha 2

I think it's a bit strange but... that budget Ibanez that I've pimped out has quickly become my second favourite, or maybe even my actual favourite guitar. I'm really pleased it was given to me, even though it was given to me in barely playable shape. It's incredibly well made for something that I suspect wasn't that expensive 20 odd years ago when it was made (according to a serial # decoder, it was made in December 2002) - lovely neck (same specs on the Wizard II neck as on my JEM) & the Seymour Duncans I put in it are possibly my favourite pickups I've used in a guitar.

But maybe it's because I've also been fucking around in D standard on this guitar and I'd not really played much in D standard. Very cool tuning - not just for metal imo - just generally a cool tuning for the guitar. But also... excellent for metal & I've been having a lot of fun learning Kreator, Death, & Exodus songs and having them not sound weirdly sharp!

But I think it's a bit crazy how good a fairly cheap guitar can get if you give it some TLC (and swap out some pickups if you don't like the way the originals sound). And to think I was a bit annoyed when that trem I bought to put in it didn't actually fit nicely in the cavity. Ended up working out okay, as I chucked that in my Jackson... and that ended up being a nice upgrade for that guitar as well!

It's probably what I'll use when I get around to recording some clips from the PodGo. Sorry @Mel81x for still not doing that - I've had a few issues with the computer I use for recording and I've not really gotten around to fixing them. I've bought another computer to replace it because I really can't be arsed with it anymore xD - but my wife says I can't open it until Christmas... so eventually I'll get around to recording some shit with my Pod, I'm just going to be waiting until I've got that new computer (and more fucking spare time).

The last month and a half or so at work has been absolute hell for me... so I've been very appreciative of the time I've managed to make for myself this week to get to fuck around on my guitar. Looking forward to getting home and playing tonight.

• Upvote 1