Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Making Music

10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Holy shit how old is it? I've never had a Boss pedal die.

I've heard the EXH Silencer is arguably better than the NS-2 (which is the noise suppressor I've always used)… and it's a bit cheaper. And it's a noise suppressor rather than a noise gate, which I prefer.

Its over 10yrs old so it was bound to die eventually. It's a hand me down and eventhough its taken a beating over the years its worked flawlessly. I am going to take it to someone to see if they can fix it but I am planning for the worst-case scenario.

So I think I’m extra shit at soloing. And today I’ve basically just spent trying to go over shit really slowly with a metronome trying to not be as shit at guitar.

It is so fucking frustrating. I’ve made progress. But not a whole lot of progress. And I’ve had the time to put in a lot of effort and it just feels so slow going.

Should probably work on something else and come back to it. But oh my fucking god I just want to keep powering through and show my stupid fucking fingers that I am going to not be shit at soloing.

Also playing slowly just because I’m shit at a particular part; but I can’t play normal speed at the parts I have nailed because that fucks up my ability to play the shit I struggle at.... so fucking annoying.

And I know that once I figure everything out it’ll make it all worth it. But holy shit I’ve spent a day on one solo.

Damn you Marty Friedman!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

So I think I’m extra shit at soloing. And today I’ve basically just spent trying to go over shit really slowly with a metronome trying to not be as shit at guitar.

It is so fucking frustrating. I’ve made progress. But not a whole lot of progress. And I’ve had the time to put in a lot of effort and it just feels so slow going.

Should probably work on something else and come back to it. But oh my fucking god I just want to keep powering through and show my stupid fucking fingers that I am going to not be shit at soloing.

Also playing slowly just because I’m shit at a particular part; but I can’t play normal speed at the parts I have nailed because that fucks up my ability to play the shit I struggle at.... so fucking annoying.

And I know that once I figure everything out it’ll make it all worth it. But holy shit I’ve spent a day on one solo.

Damn you Marty Friedman!

I know the feeling. Sometimes I think i have the timing down just right then I’ll play along with a metronome before a jam and I’ll find out I am missing beats. Normally it doesn’t matter if everyone is in sync but omg does it eat at you when you think I have to speed up here or slow down in a place I cant. 

I find that the best thing to do, long term, is to always have a metronome running in my head and over time I have learned how to play along with the timing. This of course goes completely out the window when playing with others who don’t do the same but the first step is to always play by yourself. 

For anyone that is interested in improving their timing and understanding time signatures and their importance in playing music and evoking emotion or just because you want to improve you technique and need something as the backbone to gauge your progress go out and get this app for your tablet or phone called “Complete Rhythm Trainer”. 

Once you progress past the easy stuff like 4/4 and 3/4 then you start to understand why things make so much sense in music when it comes to composing and sharing your compositions with other people. Also, its really good if you’re playing with other musicians because it gives you the baseline to play together and figure stuff out and even add improvisations without breaking each other’s stride.

• Upvote 1

On 03/09/2019 at 23:32, Mel81x said:

For anyone that is interested in improving their timing and understanding time signatures and their importance in playing music and evoking emotion or just because you want to improve you technique and need something as the backbone to gauge your progress go out and get this app for your tablet or phone called “Complete Rhythm Trainer”. 

Once you progress past the easy stuff like 4/4 and 3/4 then you start to understand why things make so much sense in music when it comes to composing and sharing your compositions with other people. Also, its really good if you’re playing with other musicians because it gives you the baseline to play together and figure stuff out and even add improvisations without breaking each other’s stride.

Cool, thanks for the tip

@Dr. Gonzo finally got around to messing about with the low gain + OD pedal and WoW!!  ..i am shocked you can get a good Machine Head tone with the high gain just on 2 :8_laughing:  ..have to agree with you,the amp does sound better on low gain, try these setting's on yours for that old school Machine Head tone (that's what the MH must stand for on my head unit :D)  ..excuse the dusty knobs, it's been a while :ph34r:

QKrkLAC.jpg

i5BNIah.jpg

I'm also using EMG 81's so you might need to tweek the settings a little  ..bet it sounds even better crank but got a baby in the house so have to keep it low volume

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

@Dr. Gonzo finally got around to messing about with the low gain + OD pedal and WoW!!  ..i am shocked you can get a good Machine Head tone with the high gain just on 2 :8_laughing:  ..have to agree with you,the amp does sound better on low gain, try these setting's on yours for that old school Machine Head tone (that's what the MH must stand for on my head unit :D)  ..excuse the dusty knobs, it's been a while :ph34r:

QKrkLAC.jpg

i5BNIah.jpg

I'm also using EMG 81's so you might need to tweek the settings a little  ..bet it sounds even better crank but got a baby in the house so have to keep it low volume

Yeah isn’t it mental how pretty low gain makes for a really good high gain tone.

The EQ settings you use are pretty close to what I use - but I don’t scoop the mids so much. My next 6505 tip would be... scoop the mids less and you will be surprised

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah isn’t it mental how pretty low gain makes for a really good high gain tone.

The EQ settings you use are pretty close to what I use - but I don’t scoop the mids so much.

Yeah, it surprised me 4 sure! ..i started the gain on 2 expecting to work it up to half :8_laughing:  ..i actual rolled it back down a little under 3 with the OD pedal. i've scooped the mids on the amp to 1 but got the tone just over half on the pedal  ..i will continue to experiment and see what sounds best but very happy with the low high gain sound :D

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Happy Blue said:

Yeah, it surprised me 4 sure! ..i started the gain on 2 expecting to work it up to half :8_laughing:  ..i actual rolled it back down a little under 3 with the OD pedal. i've scooped the mids on the amp to 1 but got the tone just over half on the pedal  ..i will continue to experiment and see what sounds best but very happy with the low high gain sound :D

I think I’ve got my mids at 5 (or somewhere between 4 and 5 actually) and the tone on the pedal just at half. These tube screamer pedals give a pretty prominent boost to the mids so you might be good with how your setup is currently. But yeah, fuck around with it and experiment and see what tones you like best

• Upvote 1

If you ever wondered how Piezo's work and the sound differences they have with classical guitars this is a great video. I think most of Colin's work when explaining concepts are pretty sound honestly.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

If you ever wondered how Piezo's work and the sound differences they have with classical guitars this is a great video. I think most of Colin's work when explaining concepts are pretty sound honestly.

You ever used an electric with a Piezo?

I love Colin's channel. I also loved how that video has all of these people I've watched on YouTube... seeing Glenn Fricker just drop the knowledge bomb made me think "wow! way to go Glenn" and then he admits he Wiki'd it before the interview xD

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You ever used an electric with a Piezo?

TBH I've only seen Piezo's on classical/acoustic guitars and I figure the reason for that is because electric guitars come with such great pickups already i can't see why you'd want a Piezo there. Also, I think its because most acoustics (the really good ones) generally come with zero electronics in them and this is the best way to get the most out of it with the mic and pickup combo.

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I love Colin's channel. I also loved how that video has all of these people I've watched on YouTube... seeing Glenn Fricker just drop the knowledge bomb made me think "wow! way to go Glenn" and then he admits he Wiki'd it before the interview xD

I laughed as well when Glenn started explaining it and I was thinking wow this guy knows his stuff, then he said what he said and I went well atleast he read up before answering haha.

6 hours ago, Mel81x said:

TBH I've only seen Piezo's on classical/acoustic guitars and I figure the reason for that is because electric guitars come with such great pickups already i can't see why you'd want a Piezo there. Also, I think its because most acoustics (the really good ones) generally come with zero electronics in them and this is the best way to get the most out of it with the mic and pickup combo.

I laughed as well when Glenn started explaining it and I was thinking wow this guy knows his stuff, then he said what he said and I went well atleast he read up before answering haha.

Yeah I’ve seen electrics with piezos but I don’t know why they are a thing

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah I’ve seen electrics with piezos but I don’t know why they are a thing

There's one in the video too. I honestly thought it sounded shit but apparently you can control more so thats maybe a thing for live performances?

5 hours ago, Mel81x said:

There's one in the video too. I honestly thought it sounded shit but apparently you can control more so thats maybe a thing for live performances?

Yeah the one in the video sounded especially shit xD

ESP sells a couple models with a piezo and I went to their website... because they're actually pretty good about explaining why they go with certain hardware for certain models and here's what they say about their piezos they've gone with and they say it's "to add more acoustic tones to your electric guitar" - sounds like marketing bollocks to me. It also says the guitars have dual output jacks... so one for the regular pickups and one for the piezo output. So maybe it's just about having "maximum tonal versatility."

I don't really understand why you'd ever want one in an electric though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah the one in the video sounded especially shit xD

ESP sells a couple models with a piezo and I went to their website... because they're actually pretty good about explaining why they go with certain hardware for certain models and here's what they say about their piezos they've gone with and they say it's "to add more acoustic tones to your electric guitar" - sounds like marketing bollocks to me. It also says the guitars have dual output jacks... so one for the regular pickups and one for the piezo output. So maybe it's just about having "maximum tonal versatility."

I don't really understand why you'd ever want one in an electric though.

i think the part where they have the dual jack makes a lot of sense. A few years ago I read an article on Guitar World which talks about how Ricks have a dual jack for stereo and someone was using tonal variances on the two jacks to actually get better blends. What it does to the sound of the bass/guitar is not something im overtly happy about because to me it sounds shallow and not as nice but some people like it. I also think that if you want some 'acoustic' variance to your electric go get a Gretsch because those are natural hollow-body electrics unlike their solid-body brethren. 

• Upvote 1

Oddly enough he'd ruin pretty much every song. Also, the reason for posting it here is that he is the arpeggio king.

On 07/10/2019 at 22:22, Mel81x said:

Oddly enough he'd ruin pretty much every song. Also, the reason for posting it here is that he is the arpeggio king.

Hahahaha some of those are terrible once they've been Yngwie'd

I haven't played in about a week because of wedding shit and having family stay over. But tonight that ends, and it's time to torture my neighbors again with massive riffage.

• Upvote 1

My friend wanted to buy a new bass yesterday and asked if I could give him a lift to the shop, so I tried around a few guitars just to pass the time while he got his bass. I played a Charvel Pro-Mod SoCal with a Floyd... I probably shouldn't have done that because now I want to sell my Jackson and my SG and get that guitar.

On 15/10/2019 at 01:59, Dr. Gonzo said:

My friend wanted to buy a new bass yesterday and asked if I could give him a lift to the shop, so I tried around a few guitars just to pass the time while he got his bass. I played a Charvel Pro-Mod SoCal with a Floyd... I probably shouldn't have done that because now I want to sell my Jackson and my SG and get that guitar.

What was nice about it? I've only heard about Charvels was there anything in particular?