talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Making Music

football forum

@Dr. Gonzo @Mel181x  ...Recorded my pink pedal of doom :4_joy: through the clean channel on my 6505mh ..played some Entombed riffs with my Jackson EMG 81-85 guitar, at the end was trying to remember how to play "out of hand" then my daughter walked in so just gave up! lol  ...all that sound for £16 :twothumbsup:  ..Password HB

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x80op8a

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Nine years later and countless things done to it, my Fender Squier Jazz had the most ridiculous accident today. The G string's tuner popped right out. Didn't crack, didn't click or do anything it just popped right out while it was sitting on the stand and split at the head of the tuner key. I was so zapped I literally looked at it wondering what the hell just happened. So, I figured nine years is a good time to say goodbye to the Clover config on the headstock and I can just get an upgrade from Gotoh or Hipshot. I affectionately call this thing my Mutt because a lot of things on it aren't stock Squier anymore anyways. So, I call my local luthier and ask him if he knows anyone who stocks what I want and then I get told Hipshot and Gotoh aren't available in the market. So, I think okay what about Fender? He says no. Then I say okay what about something more local to Asia, once again no. Then I ask the question I should really have started with which was do you have any bass tuners for a 70s Jazz bass? And the answer was no. 

Now, at this point I am a little deflated because truth be told I love this bass and I have literally done so much to it that I want to fix this tuner and get the strings back in order. So I ask him to call his sources from Mumbai who generally have something. Turns out they have bass head tuners for a JB but they want to sell it to me for 27K INR ~ 360 USD. I think that ludicrous of course because I can just buy another Squier and so then I figure fuck this I'll just get in touch directly with Hipshot and they say yes they'll get me a set for my JB which they certify as perfect fits. Good right? Nope. I can't even import them right now because we aren't allowed to. 

Long story short, a couple of tuners which generally cost around 180 USD from Hipshot and 110 USD from Fender aren't going for that price here clearly and now I have to figure out a way to get someone to get them for me while they try and head back home. Oh and I won't let this go because as I said before, I love this bass and I'll be damned if it doesn't get fixed someway or the other. I figure I'll put a High Mass bridge on it too while I am at it. It's nearly a proper Fender anyways and all that's left is to get a Fender Pup set for the original 70s tone but those are even more harder to source than tuning pegs here.

Edited by Mel81x
  • Wow 2

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Nine years later and countless things done to it, my Fender Squier Jazz had the most ridiculous accident today. The G string's tuner popped right out. Didn't crack, didn't click or do anything it just popped right out while it was sitting on the stand and split at the head of the tuner key. I was so zapped I literally looked at it wondering what the hell just happened. So, I figured nine years is a good time to say goodbye to the Clover config on the headstock and I can just get an upgrade from Gotoh or Hipshot. I affectionately call this thing my Mutt because a lot of things on it aren't stock Squier anymore anyways. So, I call my local luthier and ask him if he knows anyone who stocks what I want and then I get told Hipshot and Gotoh aren't available in the market. So, I think okay what about Fender? He says no. Then I say okay what about something more local to Asia, once again no. Then I ask the question I should really have started with which was do you have any bass tuners for a 70s Jazz bass? And the answer was no. 

Now, at this point I am a little deflated because truth be told I love this bass and I have literally done so much to it that I want to fix this tuner and get the strings back in order. So I ask him to call his sources from Mumbai who generally have something. Turns out they have bass head tuners for a JB but they want to sell it to me for 27K INR ~ 360 USD. I think that ludicrous of course because I can just buy another Squier and so then I figure fuck this I'll just get in touch directly with Hipshot and they say yes they'll get me a set for my JB which they certify as perfect fits. Good right? Nope. I can't even import them right now because we aren't allowed to. 

Long story short, a couple of tuners which generally cost around 180 USD from Hipshot and 110 USD from Fender aren't going for that price here clearly and now I have to figure out a way to get someone to get them for me while they try and head back home. Oh and I won't let this go because as I said before, I love this bass and I'll be damned if it doesn't get fixed someway or the other. I figure I'll put a High Mass bridge on it too while I am at it. It's nearly a proper Fender anyways and all that's left is to get a Fender Pup set for the original 70s tone but those are even more harder to source than tuning pegs here.

That's mad! :o never heard of that happening before, maybe a combination of the heat & tension it's under? :35_thinking:  ..good luck with the repairs mate :91_thumbsup:

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

That's mad! :o never heard of that happening before, maybe a combination of the heat & tension it's under? :35_thinking:  ..good luck with the repairs mate :91_thumbsup:

I looked at it and it seems like the inside of where the nuts sit has some corrosion which is normal apparently. Still, it was very funny when it happened. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I looked at it and it seems like the inside of where the nuts sit has some corrosion which is normal apparently. Still, it was very funny when it happened. 

Think I'd of been crying if that happened to one of my guitars 😂

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Mel81x said:

That’s fucking crazy! I’ve never heard of anything like that happening ever.

Want me to look around here if I can see Hipshots/Gotoh/Fender tuners in stock anywhere here?

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That’s fucking crazy! I’ve never heard of anything like that happening ever.

Want me to look around here if I can see Hipshots/Gotoh/Fender tuners in stock anywhere here?

Totally crazy but its okay I think my brother-in-law might have a way to get me some as hes got someone coming back at the end of May. 

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Totally crazy but its okay I think my brother-in-law might have a way to get me some as hes got someone coming back at the end of May. 

Did the luthier have any idea why that happened? That's just so bizarre.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Did the luthier have any idea why that happened? That's just so bizarre.

He said this is kind of unusual because it looks like it corroded from the inside out and then just snapped. I was glad it didnt fuck me up on stage but yeah its totally crazy. I wish I had recorded it because it looked very funny. 

Any of you ever used Amplitube before? My wife got me an iRig Pro I/O yesterday for my birthday, which comes with Amplitube on the iOS & for PC... (I think she wants me to stop browsing through Sweetwater and Reverb so much xD & it also replaces a broken Focusrite) so I've been fucking around with it a bit. I actually bought the "complete collection" in app on my phone - turns out that doesn't transfer over to Windows (which is a bit shit) but it was a hell of a lot cheaper than buying the PC equivalents of the amps/cabs/pedals. Turns out the PC versions have a lot more stuff available for purchase though. A bit annoying tbh.

I actually used Amplitube something like 10 years ago (without an interface even, just playing direct in) and I thought it was shit... but either the technology has gotten a lot better or the use of an interface is sort of absolutely necessary... but it's some pretty cool software. I'd never messed around with paid VSTs other than that one experience, only free ones fairly recently - and then I ended up frying my Focusrite somehow and that sort of ended my experimenting with VSTs.

I've been trying to learn more about recording more. But honestly, it's been very slow going though - and tbh I've found recording myself to be kind of discouraging because it takes so fucking long for me to start putting in performances that are worth recording - like I've got to play something hundreds of times to iron out the mistakes. And by the end of it I'm exhausted and frustrated at how shit I've been. But after a few hours of just practicing while recording (and listening to what I've practiced and played, before going forward), I think I may have found a new practice routine where I can actually measure my progress and keep track of things.

And I think that's good for me because I definitely am one of those people who suffer from the "red light fright" and anxiety creeps in when I record - and I've got to find a way to work passed that. And that's probably why I play as a hobby and why none of my shit bands when I was a kid ever took off xD

• Upvote 1

Also @Mel81x can you think of an idiot proof DAW on Windows, a bit like Garageband on my iPhone... but not quite as barebones as Audacity?

I know Reaper is meant to be really good and I'm sure in the long run if I figured out how to use it now it'd probably be better for me in the future if I wanted to do anything more advanced. But Reaper just overwhelms the fuck out of me.

• Subscriber
57 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Also @Mel81x can you think of an idiot proof DAW on Windows, a bit like Garageband on my iPhone... but not quite as barebones as Audacity?

I know Reaper is meant to be really good and I'm sure in the long run if I figured out how to use it now it'd probably be better for me in the future if I wanted to do anything more advanced. But Reaper just overwhelms the fuck out of me.

As a once-upon-a-time Amplitube user the only reason I stopped is because the little connector for the iPhone went from an audio-jack to a lightning connector and my iPhone got upgraded so I never really went back but I remember it being rather good with some decent if not negligible lag.

As for PC DAWs, my person favorite right now its Pro Tools. Its like Logic but its got its own little quirks which you have to learn as you go along like setting channels, etc but if you're just recording to practice I think it will do just fine. The only problem? You have to register and you must be internet connected otherwise it just fails completely to even start.

As for the one most folks are using right now? Ableton Live is the pop choice in music circles. Why? I have no idea but it does mean that you'll need something that's compatible. Shame about your FocusRite dying because I think thats a nice little piece of tech. I upgraded to an Audient EVO and while its superb in its own way I miss the FocusRite just because it felt really sturdy. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

As a once-upon-a-time Amplitube user the only reason I stopped is because the little connector for the iPhone went from an audio-jack to a lightning connector and my iPhone got upgraded so I never really went back but I remember it being rather good with some decent if not negligible lag.

As for PC DAWs, my person favorite right now its Pro Tools. Its like Logic but its got its own little quirks which you have to learn as you go along like setting channels, etc but if you're just recording to practice I think it will do just fine. The only problem? You have to register and you must be internet connected otherwise it just fails completely to even start.

As for the one most folks are using right now? Ableton Live is the pop choice in music circles. Why? I have no idea but it does mean that you'll need something that's compatible. Shame about your FocusRite dying because I think thats a nice little piece of tech. I upgraded to an Audient EVO and while its superb in its own way I miss the FocusRite just because it felt really sturdy. 

Yeah, I figured that made a lot of people probably stop using the older iRigs... now though they include the lightning, a normal USB & USB-C for people with the new MacBooks. I guess if you've got an android you can't use one of these?

I think there's a little bit of lag but it's not that noticeable. Compared to my Mooer GE200, there might as well be no lag at all.

I saw there was a free version of Pro Tools. I'll check out Ableton, looks like they've got a free trial. That sort of looks a bit like a streamlined and stripdowned DAW like GaragaBand, which is kind of nice for a recording n00b like me. I did see that the people who made SONOS now release the software for free as Cakewalk. It looks just as fucking complicated as Reaper/Pro Tools. But I do think maybe I want to learn on something where if I do want to try more advanced things eventually, I at least know the software already.

I knew someone who paid a shitload of money for SONOS back in the day, so I think that's pretty intriguing as a free option. I guess I should just check out some guides on youtube that can maybe idiot-proof DAWs for me generally.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah, I figured that made a lot of people probably stop using the older iRigs... now though they include the lightning, a normal USB & USB-C for people with the new MacBooks. I guess if you've got an android you can't use one of these?

I think there's a little bit of lag but it's not that noticeable. Compared to my Mooer GE200, there might as well be no lag at all.

I saw there was a free version of Pro Tools. I'll check out Ableton, looks like they've got a free trial. That sort of looks a bit like a streamlined and stripdowned DAW like GaragaBand, which is kind of nice for a recording n00b like me. I did see that the people who made SONOS now release the software for free as Cakewalk. It looks just as fucking complicated as Reaper/Pro Tools. But I do think maybe I want to learn on something where if I do want to try more advanced things eventually, I at least know the software already.

I knew someone who paid a shitload of money for SONOS back in the day, so I think that's pretty intriguing as a free option. I guess I should just check out some guides on youtube that can maybe idiot-proof DAWs for me generally.

I tried using Cakewalk and it was such a pain to get the device registered correctly on it that I gave up haha. Then again who knows what I was doing wrong when I used it but I know a lot of folks who use it too and its free version is pretty good. 

I only started using Pro Tools because it felt like Logic but I have toyed with Ableton and while it gets its name from being more of an EDM DAW its very good for just recording stuff too and a lot of people on YT who I follow use it pretty religiously to create music.

Let me know how it works out for you. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I could not get Cakewalk to work with any of my VSTs - so I gave up on that pretty quick. Tbh that looked much more difficult to use than Reaper and I fucking hate Reaper tbh.

Wait dont you have a Mac? Why are you still trying to use a PC for all this?

4 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Wait dont you have a Mac? Why are you still trying to use a PC for all this?

Because my wife has basically completely filled up that hard drive with pictures she’s taken. She basically stole that computer from me xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Because my wife has basically completely filled up that hard drive with pictures she’s taken. She basically stole that computer from me xD

Well dang. That's a technical issue I have no solution for haha.

Edited by Mel81x
  • Haha 1

Going back to Reaper made me try Audacity more (which is... really easy to use in comparison - but I know it's fairly limited). Then I decided to give Cakewalk another chance as I know that's probably my best 100% free option and I am a cheap fucker.

Finally got AmpliTube to open up in it! And this time instead of just saying it's using the iRig as an interface and me not seeing the light indicate that there's signal going through and not hearing any sound come out... I'm actually hearing sound this time. I might just needed to have restarted my computer after the installation(?)

2 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

@Dr. Gonzo    @Mel81x

Lend me your ears! :D ..how close have i got to Cannibal Corpses live sound?  ..short clip recorded with my phone again, so my live sound :4_joy::ph34r: ..will tell you how i've got this sound in a bit ;) password HB

Tbh, it's a bit hard to tell from that sound clip - it doesn't sound bad, I just think we'd be able to hear the tone a bit better if the mic was closer. Recording from the phone's fucking hard though.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbh, it's a bit hard to tell from that sound clip - it doesn't sound bad, I just think we'd be able to hear the tone a bit better if the mic was closer. Recording from the phone's fucking hard though.

It does sound a lot better in the room as its in stereo ;) ..getting the phone placement right was tricky as it was clipping out like mad near the amps! :4_joy: need to learn how to record with my laptop, i haven't got a clue on that side of things :S i have a focusrite but not really bothered with it   ..anyway, got some new toys for my birthday next week, my wife who hates the racket i make with my guitars bought me some stuff to make more racket! xD i think they just like a reason to moan :35_thinking: lol   ..i got the Maxon ST-9pro+ and TC Electronics Doubler so with that i can play in stereo through 2 amps at the same time and thicken the signal up to 4 guitars, best bit of kit i own, its a game changer, highly recommended ..so i'm playing through the 6505mh & Line 6 spider 2 though the Meshuggah preset with my KV7 7-string, in the room it's most brutal sound i've made, don't know how the windows are still in :4_joy: wish i could capture it properly :35_thinking:

20210429_160535.jpg

20210430_111614.jpg

20210430_150116.jpg

20210430_151654.jpg

Edited by Happy Blue
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Ooooh that Maxon- gimme xD

You know, it sounds better in the classic mode rather than the boosted 🤔 im sure my amps broke 😂 low end is really muffled.. that fuzz sound im missing for the corpse sound, its just the tubes cranked, just had my post gain right up and that took it to the next level, the guy next door came out his house 😂

Edited by Happy Blue
  • Haha 1

Do you have a mic you can plug into your Focusrite? I never actually record from an amp and a cabinet, I just go directly into the interface and into a DAW - but I've always wanted to get a mic and mic up a cabinet... like a proper old school recording. I do recommend fucking around with your Focusrite and a DAW. There's a lot of good free VST amp sims and cabinets... it's a fun way to get good tone at low volume (well for me, through my monitor headphones).

I also find recording myself is helpful at trying to get better at the guitar. And helpful in me trying to write my own songs (which to me has been both fun as fuck... and frustrating). I also like using the DAW (or AmpliTube on my iPhone - that little iRig I got on Monday is pretty cool for making my phone into a studio-lite) when I'd want to practice with a metronome/drum track. I hate playing without an amp... but with an amp I can NEVER hear my metronome, it's much easier just having it in my ears with the guitar noises.

If you've got a Mac, probably GarageBand is the easiest way to get started - and I like how Garageband is stripped down and really simple to figure out if you don't know what you're doing. But I think if you want to do anything more advanced with your DAW... you'd want something like Logic, which is basically just GarageBand all grown up. Which I think is what @Mel81x uses... and what I have installed on the Macbook my wife has basically taken as her own xD (wasted money buying that tbh)

If you've got a PC... even though I absolutely hated it at first... I do recommend that Cakewalk program I was talking about earlier. It's 100% free... but it's a full on DAW that's supposed to stand up there with the big names like Logic, Pro-Tools, Ableton, etc... It used to be called SONAR and would cost a shitload - but when Gibson decided to end support for that DAW, a Singapore based company called BandLab (which appears to just be a pet project for a billionaire that loves music, imo) bought them and re-released it... as a completely free program called Cakewalk.

It's a bit tricky, and if you're like me you'll find it's really easy to get lost, because it's not obviously apparent on how to use anything in it. But a few YouTube videos helped me figure out what the hell I'm doing and... gotta say, I'm pretty pleased. I like it more than Reaper - which is what I was using before.

Btw, it is cool as fuck you have an actual physical stereo setup! 

• Upvote 2