talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Making Music

football forum

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Am I weird for only using reverb on leads?

Not really. If you only want it to sound that way then its what you want it to sound like. I use a lot of reverb and sometimes mild delay on bass components to make them sound a bit more punchier in the attack if my playing was lazy. I will even add a boost to the signal just to bring it up to where I need it to be so that when I apply the reverb I get much more out of it. I use it plenty on drum tracks as well because I have found that even a synth drum can sometimes leave traces of unfinished drum sounds you may not want if you want that true tight sound.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
49 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well I just tried the John Petrucci signature plug-in and I think I’ll have to buy this once the free trial is up

He does have some good sound on his rigs, especially if you're hitting a lot of quick notes. Think its the compressor that does the magic but I could be wrong.

10 hours ago, Mel81x said:

He does have some good sound on his rigs, especially if you're hitting a lot of quick notes. Think its the compressor that does the magic but I could be wrong.

It’s a pretty remarkable plug-in, to my ears the whole thing is magic xD - compression for quick notes I do think always makes speedy runs sound a bit nice. I usually get my compression just from having high gain, I’ve never really tried adding compression onto high gains

I’ll have to experiment with that.

I’ve not really listened to much of his solo stuff or Dream Theatre, I just know he’s a living legend… so I figured his Neural DSP signature pack must be good. But it’s better than I thought. And the presets (both from John Petrucci and others - like Andy Sneap, the legend, and Kiko of Megadeth - are a really, really nice addition.

So looks like I’ll be paying up for the full thing.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Mildly weird post but I came across something from a long time ago and I thought might be a good share.

I was looking at this on Steam and thought why not.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/221680/Rocksmith_2014_Edition__Remastered/

Effectively its like Guitar Hero except you actually plug your instrument into your PC and play along. So, I am going to give it a go. This video in particular got me jazzed haha.

And you can buy cover packs for whoever you want to play and it helps learn. I like gaming, I like music, seems like a no-brainer.

Shame there's no Daft Punk pack.

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Mildly weird post but I came across something from a long time ago and I thought might be a good share.

I was looking at this on Steam and thought why not.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/221680/Rocksmith_2014_Edition__Remastered/

Effectively its like Guitar Hero except you actually plug your instrument into your PC and play along. So, I am going to give it a go. This video in particular got me jazzed haha.

And you can buy cover packs for whoever you want to play and it helps learn. I like gaming, I like music, seems like a no-brainer.

Shame there's no Daft Punk pack.

Lemme know if it's any good

• 1 month later...

@Mel81x have you ever had this issue with your EVO? I've tried doing any sort of trouble shooting I can think of... and I'm out of ideas.

I've had this issue where regardless of the input, I'm either getting no signal or if I turn the input gain up enough I finally get signal through... but I get awful unusable clipping.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, restarting the device, restarting the computer with the device unplugged and then plugging the fucking thing in, different cables, different instruments, borrowed a mic and an xlr from a friend and tried that... same issue regardless of all I'd done.

Have I fried the pre-amps for EACH input?!

It's got 2 year coverage just because I bought it from Sweetwater, but I'll have to call their tech support line and their hours are inconvenient as fuck for me. So I was hoping maybe you'd encountered this and had a solution.

I doubt it though xD there's something about the way it's behaving that just makes me think I've seriously fucked it up somehow. Idk how I've managed to somehow managed to go through 2 interfaces in 1 year (tbf with the Focusrite there was an issue with a mate's power conditioner and it was just one of many things fried - that was a disaster for my friend, I only lost the interface).

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@Mel81x have you ever had this issue with your EVO? I've tried doing any sort of trouble shooting I can think of... and I'm out of ideas.

I've had this issue where regardless of the input, I'm either getting no signal or if I turn the input gain up enough I finally get signal through... but I get awful unusable clipping.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, restarting the device, restarting the computer with the device unplugged and then plugging the fucking thing in, different cables, different instruments, borrowed a mic and an xlr from a friend and tried that... same issue regardless of all I'd done.

Have I fried the pre-amps for EACH input?!

It's got 2 year coverage just because I bought it from Sweetwater, but I'll have to call their tech support line and their hours are inconvenient as fuck for me. So I was hoping maybe you'd encountered this and had a solution.

I doubt it though xD there's something about the way it's behaving that just makes me think I've seriously fucked it up somehow. Idk how I've managed to somehow managed to go through 2 interfaces in 1 year (tbf with the Focusrite there was an issue with a mate's power conditioner and it was just one of many things fried - that was a disaster for my friend, I only lost the interface).

RMA it that thing has issues. My first one had an issue where if i turned the gain below 50% it just stopped working right and I would get a serious drop in volume. Got a new one and it worked right. These things can be a bit fragile at times.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

RMA it that thing has issues. My first one had an issue where if i turned the gain below 50% it just stopped working right and I would get a serious drop in volume. Got a new one and it worked right. These things can be a bit fragile at times.

Similar problem to me, except below about 55% I get no signal... and above 55% and I get nothing but the most obnoxious clipping.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Going into safe mode and reuninstalling then restarting and re-reinstalling seems to have brought the fucking thing back to life!

You know it may just be a driver issue but if that's the case wouldn't the uninstaller have fixed it the first time? very odd behavior.

42 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

You know it may just be a driver issue but if that's the case wouldn't the uninstaller have fixed it the first time? very odd behavior.

Yeah I’m puzzled, but it’s good as new now so whatever it was I hope it stays fixed

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

@Dr. Gonzo @Mel81xany new toys? :) ..i keep forgetting about this thread lol

Not really - I think my last purchase was a few months ago, a Neural DSP amp sim for the computer (the John Petrucci one) after a few months of me trying out the Gojira one (which is a 5150 with EL34 valves - very nice). Between those 2 plugins I basically have all the tones and effects I'd really use.

I sold my ESP because it wasn't getting much use now that I've got my Jackson, my JEM (both in standard tuning), the cheap Ibanez that I've modded the fuck out of (tuned to D standard), and my SG (this one gets it's tuning changed constantly because it doesn't have a trem so it's easy as fuck to set up in different tunings).

And when I play with other people, I think my pedalboard doesn't really need any additions - I use all the pedals I have (except the phaser), perhaps a better delay pedal would be nice... but I honestly just mostly use the delay+reverb setting on my reverb pedal for my leads now and I'm well happy with that.

I've mostly just been doing a shitload of boring exercises to make my technique better with a metronome. And writing/recording riffs. Haven't really recorded any solos at all yet because every time I record my lead playing, I end up hearing it back and cringing and deleting it xD

Oh actually scratch that, I bought the EZ Drummer 3 update a couple weeks ago. Pretty significant upgrade on what was already really great midi drum software. I've not really used it all that much lately, but I've got some plans to with some of the riffs I record.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

@Dr. Gonzo @Mel81xany new toys? :) ..i keep forgetting about this thread lol

Nothing new but I have been playing a lot more. Band is back in town so we met up last weekend to chalk out some stuff we want to do and we're back in a room this weekend to try and start things off again. There's a bit of a discussion about doing weddings and I am all for it if we can make it happen. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Not really - I think my last purchase was a few months ago, a Neural DSP amp sim for the computer (the John Petrucci one) after a few months of me trying out the Gojira one (which is a 5150 with EL34 valves - very nice). Between those 2 plugins I basically have all the tones and effects I'd really use.

I sold my ESP because it wasn't getting much use now that I've got my Jackson, my JEM (both in standard tuning), the cheap Ibanez that I've modded the fuck out of (tuned to D standard), and my SG (this one gets it's tuning changed constantly because it doesn't have a trem so it's easy as fuck to set up in different tunings).

And when I play with other people, I think my pedalboard doesn't really need any additions - I use all the pedals I have (except the phaser), perhaps a better delay pedal would be nice... but I honestly just mostly use the delay+reverb setting on my reverb pedal for my leads now and I'm well happy with that.

I've mostly just been doing a shitload of boring exercises to make my technique better with a metronome. And writing/recording riffs. Haven't really recorded any solos at all yet because every time I record my lead playing, I end up hearing it back and cringing and deleting it xD

Oh actually scratch that, I bought the EZ Drummer 3 update a couple weeks ago. Pretty significant upgrade on what was already really great midi drum software. I've not really used it all that much lately, but I've got some plans to with some of the riffs I record.

Sold more than i've bought lately lol, still not got into the plugins yet, just looks too daunting all the DAW stuff, i need an old 4 track mixer with a cassette deck :4_joy:   ..i could do with a guitar i can just change the tuning on too, just too much hassle on a floyd bridge, got an old Jackson Performer from the 90's but needs a re wire and some decent pups ..still not getting on with my 5150MH too, going to sell it i think

48 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Nothing new but I have been playing a lot more. Band is back in town so we met up last weekend to chalk out some stuff we want to do and we're back in a room this weekend to try and start things off again. There's a bit of a discussion about doing weddings and I am all for it if we can make it happen. 

Cool B| good luck with that, sounds fun, wish i had time to join a band