talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2019 Canadian Championship

football forum

2019_Canadian_Championship_logo.png

Yes, putting it here since there are MLS teams involved, and from what little I know, this has been dominated by MLS sides. Winners get a birth for the 2020 CONCACAF CL. 

Right now they are in the 3rd qualifying round, with the following fixtures being played this week, in the first of two legs. 

July 10, 2019
HFX Wanderers vs Ottawa Fury
York 9 vs Montreal Impact
Cavarlry FC vs Vancouver Whitecaps FC

*Toronto FC, the defending Champs, will stay next round, in the Semi-Finals*

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'd love to visit Montreal's stadium. Such a lovely city and on TV, a great venue for soccer (even if the grass looks like shit). 

I was always going to do this game away since its nearby, but it also helps that Ottawa is nearby, since I fly to Iqaluit shortly after. That made this away trip a lot more convenient.

The Generation IX guys said they'd go if we keep it respectable, but I'm going no matter what.

Insane day out yesterday. The Generation was on fire. Great songs and loud as ever.

The game was very good too. Montreal Impact may have played with mostly a B/C team but got away with a 2-2 draw. Rodrigo Gattas scored the 2-1 lead for York 9 in the 85th minute but Ingham commits a penalty only moments later and found their equalizer. We didn't deserve to lose though so I guess a draw is better than nowt.

Cavalry also drew with Whitecaps 0-0 at home. Vancouver did use a full squad.

@Eco

• 2 weeks later...

We lost 1-0 to Montreal but the away experience was lovely. I can’t wait to do more with this team, next for me will probably be Winnipeg.

In other news, Whitecaps lose to Cavalry and become the first team to lose to a non MLS side in this tournament. I honestly think CanPL level is a lot closer to MLS than we thought it would be. I know teams lose all the time in US Open Cup to USL sides but I think this is the only way a Canadian can get to CL? If that’s true there is a lot more at stake.

4 hours ago, Grizzly21 said:

We lost 1-0 to Montreal but the away experience was lovely. I can’t wait to do more with this team, next for me will probably be Winnipeg.

In other news, Whitecaps lose to Cavalry and become the first team to lose to a non MLS side in this tournament. I honestly think CanPL level is a lot closer to MLS than we thought it would be. I know teams lose all the time in US Open Cup to USL sides but I think this is the only way a Canadian can get to CL? If that’s true there is a lot more at stake.

No - the MLS sides can get to the CL by winning either the Supporter Shield or the Cup. 

It's certainly the EASIEST route to the CL though. 

Archived