16. Paolo Maldini - 26
  17. Paul Scholes - 25
  18. Edwin van der Saar - 25

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CaaC (John) said:

9_9  Still the all-time greatest player for me :x

Very subjective mate which is why that Messi versus Cristiano stuff gets so tedious.

For me it's between Maradona, Messi and Di Stéfano as the greatest of all time and then I entertain the rest in a debate.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Messi versus Cristiano stuff gets so tedious.

True that I can get a headache keep reading about those two going head to head, I am an oldie and the likes of Pelé, Di Stéfano, Eusébio and a few more that slip my mind was the bee's knees for me, in their days there was no wet weather footballs, stadium roofs that closed because of the weather etc, they got on with it on the pitch with their skills and flair, rain, mud, snow, ice.  

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Here's the official stats on most honoured players in terms of trophies won;

1. Dani Alves - 40
  2. Maxwell - 37
  3. Ryan Giggs - 36
  4. Vítor Baía - 35
  5. Lionel Messi - 34
  6. Xavi - 33
  7. Andrés Iniesta - 32
  8. Gerard Piqué - 32
  9. Kenny Dalglish - 31
  10. Zlatan Ibrahimović - 31
  11. Cristiano Ronaldo - 30
  12. Dario Srna - 28
  13. Pelé - 28
  14. Sergio Busquets - 27
  15. Carlos Tévez - 27
  16. Paolo Maldini - 26
  17. Paul Scholes - 25
  18. Edwin van der Saar - 25

Curious about one things here these are all FIFA deemed trophies and by that I mean all the big ones like UCL, Europa/UEFA Cup, Club Cups, International Comps, etc?

50 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Very subjective mate which is why that Messi versus Cristiano stuff gets so tedious.

For me it's between Maradona, Messi and Di Stéfano as the greatest of all time and then I entertain the rest in a debate.

Players with most 'Man of the Match' awards since 2009/2010:

1. Lionel Messi - 237
2. Ronaldo - 140
3. Hazard - 89
4. Ibrahimovic - 88
5. Suárez - 61

13 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Curious about one things here these are all FIFA deemed trophies and by that I mean all the big ones like UCL, Europa/UEFA Cup, Club Cups, International Comps, etc?

Indeed because in that case Dani Alves should have 41 trophies won due to when he was coming through his local club Bahia, he won the North-Eastern Cup and that isn't included.

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Indeed because in that case Dani Alves should have 41 trophies won due to when he was coming through his local club Bahia, he won the North-Eastern Cup and that isn't included.

I also ask that because there's the olympics as well and some of those players have won that as well.

Edit: That's more of an accolade than a trophy 

24 minutes ago, Harry said:

Players with most 'Man of the Match' awards since 2009/2010:

1. Lionel Messi - 237
2. Ronaldo - 140
3. Hazard - 89
4. Ibrahimovic - 88
5. Suárez - 61

It's an interesting stat but remember that these awards weren't handed out years back. Who's the greatest is a very very opinionated subject and that's why it goes on forever with silly arguments from people even basing it all on character.

What's for sure is that we all know the names right up at the top and that says something about those footballers.

9 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I also ask that because there's the olympics as well and some of those players have won that as well.

Edit: That's more of an accolade than a trophy 

For me it's a trophy and an extremely important one at that. Also youth trophies like U-16, U-19 and U-21 European Championships, World Cups and Youth Champions Leagues aren't included and they're all affiliated FIFA and confederative sanctioned tournaments.

But the Olympic Gold Medal should be included and it is extremely valued in Basketball and Tennis. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

For me it's a trophy and an extremely important one at that. Also youth trophies like U-16, U-19 and U-21 European Championships, World Cups and Youth Champions Leagues aren't included and they're all affiliated FIFA and confederative sanctioned tournaments.

But the Olympic Gold Medal should be included and it is extremely valued in Basketball and Tennis. 

I only excluded it because I agree with you its more of a gold medal versus a trophy buy it is important in my eyes as well since its country representation which is as high or even higher than club representation. i am very surprised that the U-X cups are not considered because some of those players on the list have been outstanding from a very young age.

Just now, Mel81x said:

I only excluded it because I agree with you its more of a gold medal versus a trophy buy it is important in my eyes as well since its country representation which is as high or even higher than club representation.

The fact the final victory manifests itself in the form of a medal should be negligent at the time of valuation. It's the final victory marking you as the greatest in that era and in the Olympics they offer it in the shape of a medal whereas in football it's in the shape of a cup or trophy of sorts. These days you don't just get to lift a cup, you also get a medal for winning a football trophy.

• Subscriber
Just now, SirBalon said:

The fact the final victory manifests itself in the form of a medal should be negligent at the time of valuation. It's the final victory marking you as the greatest in that era and in the Olympics they offer it in the shape of a medal whereas in football it's in the shape of a cup or trophy of sorts. These days you don't just get to lift a cup, you also get a medal for winning a football trophy.

The other thing about the olympics which is not present at the WC is the age restriction on coaches to achieve the gold and that is the U-23 regulation plus the option to add three overage players. It really is a showcase of a country's potential in the longer run as well.

6 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I can understand tennis, but why the fuck is it valued for basketball?

23 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I can understand tennis, but why the fuck is it valued for basketball?

Because it’s the only method to determine who’s the best in the world. There is the World Cup too though. The thing is that it’s not taken seriously here in the UK and that has hidden the real European culture in basketball which is massive.

Dani Alves hasn’t won the Libertadores though, until he wins that he won’t be as decorated as Ronaldinho (seeing as he’s also South American)

Just now, Grizzly21 said:

Dani Alves hasn’t won the Libertadores though, until he wins that he won’t be as decorated as Ronaldinho (seeing as he’s also South American)

But even so Alves has had a much more intensive and complete career than the magician Ronaldinho.

Infact it’s incredible what Ronaldinho achieved in such a relatively short career at the top end. 

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Because it’s the only method to determine who’s the best in the world. There is the World Cup too though. The thing is that it’s not taken seriously here in the UK and that has hidden the real European culture in basketball which is massive.

The best in the world at basketball are the people who play for the current NBA champions. None of these national sides in basketball would ever beat a good NBA side, except for the USA side since it's up made of the best players in the sport. And whenever they've not won the gold at the Olympics, I suspect that's down to them not taking it as seriously while everyone is up for it against them. Football in the Olympics is more shite than Olympic basketball, and I refuse to take it seriously.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

But even so Alves has had a much more intensive and complete career than the magician Ronaldinho.

Infact it’s incredible what Ronaldinho achieved in such a relatively short career at the top end. 

The fact Ronaldinho and Deco used to turn up drunk to training at Barca makes Ronaldinho even more of a legend.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

There is no arguing with Alves’ trophy CV, he’s won a hell of a lot, but what are we looking at really? Repeats of the same trophy? Quality over quantity for me. Alves has won many domestic and international titles but to less variety as someone like Ronaldinho.

Ronaldinho has won the World Cup and the Libertadores, neither of which Alves has won. As for similar trophies, Ronaldinho also has the Copa America, Confederations Cup, Champions league, a top 5 European league title, domestic cups, even with PSG he won something (Intertoto Cup).

For me, the variety of trophies makes you more decorated than the quantity, obviously assuming that they are relevant and not something like the Johnstones Paint Trophy!

Now in regards to the World Cup, that is hard enough to win but it counts and as for the Libertadores, Alves needs to win that I think to become more decorated than someone like Ronaldinho or Tevez.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The best in the world at basketball are the people who play for the current NBA champions. None of these national sides in basketball would ever beat a good NBA side, except for the USA side since it's up made of the best players in the sport. And whenever they've not won the gold at the Olympics, I suspect that's down to them not taking it as seriously while everyone is up for it against them. Football in the Olympics is more shite than Olympic basketball, and I refuse to take it seriously.

That’s like saying “Olympic ice hockey is pointless because Canada always wins” or “Rugby World Cup is pointless because New Zealand always wins”.

If the sport is universal then there always needs to be a world competition. The fact that Olympic basketball is more valued than FIBA is correct, and I think comparing it to the NBA is silly because not all the best Americans play on the champion team.

For example, Kyle Lowry isn’t better than Steph Curry but Kawhi would walk into the Warriors’ 5. Yeah it’s a silly competition because the USA will likely walk it but like rugby and hockey alike, they haven’t won everyone of them. It’s still the most valuable basketball international competition.

4 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

That’s like saying “Olympic ice hockey is pointless because Canada always wins” or “Rugby World Cup is pointless because New Zealand always wins”.

If the sport is universal then there always needs to be a world competition. The fact that Olympic basketball is more valued than FIBA is correct, and I think comparing it to the NBA is silly because not all the best Americans play on the champion team.

For example, Kyle Lowry isn’t better than Steph Curry but Kawhi would walk into the Warriors’ 5. Yeah it’s a silly competition because the USA will likely walk it but like rugby and hockey alike, they haven’t won everyone of them. It’s still the most valuable basketball international competition.

Controversial opinion from me but the Olympics is a load of shite and they’ve only added sports actual human beings care about because otherwise it’s too boring for most people

On 12/07/2019 at 13:45, Dr. Gonzo said:

The fact Ronaldinho and Deco used to turn up drunk to training at Barca makes Ronaldinho even more of a legend.

According the Hleb, one of the main reasons Barca sold them was for Messi not being influenced by their behavior 

Archived