• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Fabian Delph Signs For Everton

• The title was changed to Fabian Delph - Everton Linked With Midfielder
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Could do a job as an option/squad player. He's not getting a look in at left back so he could be one of our backup midfielders now that Gomes has signed and Gueye hasn't really been linked with a move away this summer. Anything over £20m and forget it though.

We'd probably do well if we managed to move Schneiderlin off the wage budget and replace him in the squad with Delph as long as he doesn't expect six figures a week.

Totally wrong move for Delph IMO if this happens.

Needs to go somewhere where he can be the heartbeat of a team, not just someone who can fill in. There is no guarantee he starts here.

Waste of time otherwise moving. Can sit on the bench on more money and win trophies.

Sad way to look at it but best of a bad situation.

Needs a move to a Southampton, Bournemouth, Palace or similar. I'd think he'd thrive in any of those sides.

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

On one hand, £8m is a decent fee for him. On the other hand, I've never seen him as a leader, and it seems a very odd conclusion to come to about a player who hasn't even been an established first team player for club or country the majority of his career. Then again, our scouts know better than me.

My worry is that this transfer either means that Gueye is going to end up leaving this summer or that they've given up on Davies.

My more optimistic take is that we've found a buyer for Schneiderlin for more than £8m, Delph will agree to lower wages than Schneiderlin, and that he won't be seen as a first team player unless he forces his way in through excellent form. That way we make pretty much a like for like replacement, make a small profit and the new player is younger (I think).

53 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

On one hand, £8m is a decent fee for him. On the other hand, I've never seen him as a leader, and it seems a very odd conclusion to come to about a player who hasn't even been an established first team player for club or country the majority of his career. Then again, our scouts know better than me.

My worry is that this transfer either means that Gueye is going to end up leaving this summer or that they've given up on Davies.

My more optimistic take is that we've found a buyer for Schneiderlin for more than £8m, Delph will agree to lower wages than Schneiderlin, and that he won't be seen as a first team player unless he forces his way in through excellent form. That way we make pretty much a like for like replacement, make a small profit and the new player is younger (I think).

I can't imagine you've given up on Davies. Losing Gueye would be a loss, but unless you get a mega offer from PSG I doubt you'll be letting him go. Considering I'd forgotten that Schneiderlin is even at Everton, I think your optimistic take is more likely (although I think you'd do well to just get rid of him regardless of the fee... but obviously, the more money you get the better that is for you. With Delph you'd then have a player more useful to the squad than Schneiderlin… and he's also a good player to have in the squad because he covers the fullback positions as well. That's more depth overall and also allows for tactical flexibility in some matches.

I did think it was weird they think he's a leader though, but I suppose it's possible to have a player that's not been established as a first team player that could be a leader in a sense. More of a mentality and dressing room leader figure in the squad than an on the pitch leader - but personalities like that are so important imo. Generally speaking though, I think most of those players are generally leaders on the pitch as well in the dressing room - but it's not beyond the realm of possibility to have those same charactersistics while being a bench player for most of his career.

I don't think this is a bad signing at the price. And depth is important. And I think he's better than Schneiderlin. But I also don't think he's that... good... of a player. Strikes me as one of those jack of all trades, master of none, type players but without having as well rounded of an overall playstyle as you'd like from a player like that. But maybe I'm wrong and he'll end up being great at Everton.

• Subscriber

I don't think he'll be great for us but in this market getting anyone who will play 15 games and not be hopeless for less than £10m isn't something to complain about, unless you somehow manage to be as bad as Sandro Ramirez.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't think he'll be great for us but in this market getting anyone who will play 15 games and not be hopeless for less than £10m isn't something to complain about, unless you somehow manage to be as bad as Sandro Ramirez.

I mean at the price, I don't think there can be any complaints. Delph is one of those players that I don't think will ever be "bad" - he might have a poor game every once in a while, but he's fairly consistent at being just around above average. That's fucking great for a squad player who can play in the midfield and fullback positions.

• The title was changed to Fabian Delph Signs For Everton
  • Subscriber

His voice in that video doesn't go with his appearance in a really weird way.

Anyway, this is a decent addition, but I'm still concerned about the striker situation which yet again doesn't seem to be gathering any speed. We are being totally ridiculous if we're putting all our eggs in the Moise Kean basket, I don't even know whether that's a strong link but we haven't heard any others. We also don't have a right back to compete with Coleman who was inconsistent last season, we only have three centre backs and one of those is Holgate, we also haven't delivered the right winger we were looking for either.

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

His voice in that video doesn't go with his appearance in a really weird way.

Anyway, this is a decent addition, but I'm still concerned about the striker situation which yet again doesn't seem to be gathering any speed. We are being totally ridiculous if we're putting all our eggs in the Moise Kean basket, I don't even know whether that's a strong link but we haven't heard any others. We also don't have a right back to compete with Coleman who was inconsistent last season, we only have three centre backs and one of those is Holgate, we also haven't delivered the right winger we were looking for either.

Once read his voice described as sounding "like he owns a greyhound track in Bradford". 

Archived