• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Question a Member: Eco

football forum

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 15/07/2019 at 04:01, Toinho said:

Any reason why you didn’t follow your dreams of being an architect or author? Did you make efforts to or change your mind as you got older? 

Architect fizzled out, which is probably for the best. 

Author is still the 'ultimate dream', but really it requires so much time and sacrifice that I'm not sure I could ever give up what I need to in order to become one. 

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Eco said:

Architect fizzled out, which is probably for the best. 

Author is still the 'ultimate dream', but really it requires so much time and sacrifice that I'm not sure I could ever give up what I need to in order to become one. 

What kind of author? Like, fiction? Non-fiction? What would you like to write about?

If it's supposed to be a full-time job and main source of income, then yeah, it's hard work, a lot of luck, talent, good connections and is probably quite unrealistic. If it's just something on a side to fulfill a lifelong dream, then I don't see much issue with that and you don't really need to give up much if you write on your free time and self-publish (with the likes of Amazon it's never been easier). Or you can always become one when you retire :P 

20 minutes ago, nudge said:

What kind of author? Like, fiction? Non-fiction? What would you like to write about?

If it's supposed to be a full-time job and main source of income, then yeah, it's hard work, a lot of luck, talent, good connections and is probably quite unrealistic. If it's just something on a side to fulfill a lifelong dream, then I don't see much issue with that and you don't really need to give up much if you write on your free time and self-publish (with the likes of Amazon it's never been easier). Or you can always become one when you retire :P 

Ha - I wanted to right fiction really, which is odd since the authors I admire most are those that right more about history, and makes events that have already happened feel intense and like I was there. 

So really, I'm not sure what I'd do. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Ha - I wanted to right fiction really, which is odd since the authors I admire most are those that right more about history, and makes events that have already happened feel intense and like I was there. 

So really, I'm not sure what I'd do. 

My ex-neighbour is a retired journalist and a part-time author, he always wrote books (fiction; mostly satire) on his free time and still does... Must say that he's got real talent for it though as the writing process itself is almost effortless for him but the whole research and plot development still takes time of course. He's released a few books in the last few years and is in the process of publishing his next one at the moment... My point is, if you have ideas, ability and passion for it, then definitely give it a go. I'll read it :P 

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

My ex-neighbour is a retired journalist and a part-time author, he always wrote books (fiction; mostly satire) on his free time and still does... Must say that he's got real talent for it though as the writing process itself is almost effortless for him but the whole research and plot development still takes time of course. He's released a few books in the last few years and is in the process of publishing his next one at the moment... My point is, if you have ideas, ability and passion for it, then definitely give it a go. I'll read it :P 

Haha yeah - it's just finding the time. With my two jobs at the moment, parenting, and training for an ultra marathon, my time is soooooo slim at the moment. 

Things should be settled down later this year though once one of the jobs goes away, and maybe I'll put more effort into it then. 

• The topic was locked

Archived