The better place to talk football.

Cool sayings and quotes thread

football forum

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When I'm having a stressful time I like to think of a quote from Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. 

"What stands in the way, becomes the way"

Which I understand as meaning that when you fail, or where you find yourself kept from where you want to be, there is nothing better that you can be doing with your time apart from fixing the situation. Embracing difficulty rather than regretting that it's happened.

There's also a passage from Milton that comes to mind when I find myself struggling to keep difficulties in perspective, and think realistically about problems instead of panicking. 

"The mind is a realm of its own, and can make a heaven of hell, and a hell of heaven". 

Which also seems to echo the old stoics, in terms of emphasising the minds power to shape (or distort) our response to reality. 

Those two phrases have been bouncing around in my mind a lot for the last few weeks.

• 4 months later...
36 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

" A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in "

- Greek proverb

That is actually one of the quotes I think about from time to time. When I see an old picture of my city, and the same trees are still there. Or when I walk over the cobblestone in our old town, I think about the workers that must have put it there many years ago. Are they still alive? Very old? Long dead? Very profound. 

28 minutes ago, Tommy said:

That is actually one of the quotes I think about from time to time. When I see an old picture of my city, and the same trees are still there. Or when I walk over the cobblestone in our old town, I think about the workers that must have put it there many years ago. Are they still alive? Very old? Long dead? Very profound. 

Did Dusseldorf remained relatively unharmed from the WW1/2?

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Did Dusseldorf remained relatively unharmed from the WW1/2?

Nope, quite a lot of air raids since we had oil facilities and Rheinmetall (who manufactured a lot of World War II gear for the Wehrmacht). All in all a lot less damage than Cologne, Essen etc. though. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Something I heard a lot over the past few days/week after Queen's death.

'Grief is the price we pay for love'. Found that quite moving and profound, and deep, when you think properly think about it.

I've no shame in repeating what the Archbishop of Canterbury said as well, as it's quite current and it did make me wonder if he was indirectly including certain political figures when he said the below:

'Those who serve will be loved and remembered longer than those who cling to power and privilege are long forgotten'

On 25/03/2022 at 12:45, Inverted said:

When I'm having a stressful time I like to think of a quote from Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. 

"What stands in the way, becomes the way"

Which I understand as meaning that when you fail, or where you find yourself kept from where you want to be, there is nothing better that you can be doing with your time apart from fixing the situation. Embracing difficulty rather than regretting that it's happened.

There's also a passage from Milton that comes to mind when I find myself struggling to keep difficulties in perspective, and think realistically about problems instead of panicking. 

"The mind is a realm of its own, and can make a heaven of hell, and a hell of heaven". 

Which also seems to echo the old stoics, in terms of emphasising the minds power to shape (or distort) our response to reality. 

Those two phrases have been bouncing around in my mind a lot for the last few weeks.

Sometimes when I would wake in the middle of the night I would read that book and after a couple of points would be able to go back to sleep.

Loads of clever quotes there too.

Archived