talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kieran Trippier Signs For Atlético Madrid

8 hours ago, Inverted said:

I wonder how quickly he'll learn Spanish. Obviously they'll accommodate him for now since he's had no time, but Atleti doesn't strike me as the sort of club where refusing to learn will be tolerated.

You’re right, Atleti won’t be like Real Madrid for example where you’re permitted to hide the fact you haven’t bothered to learn the language at all.

Like you say in a subsequent post, Gareth Bale is an extreme case of not bothering at all to learn anything and worst of all, not caring. Although I’ve always thought we’re being a tad unfair with Gareth as his skull shape does tell us quite a bit about why he may be that way inclined... At least that was what I learned back in Primary School years but I must admit I seem to remember focusing more on learning about dinosaurs than the more mundane primitive man.

facetious moment over...

There are many cases as you later point out of big efforts by footballers to learn the language of where they ply their trade. I can go further back even than Gary Lineker who indeed learned the Spanish very well, to Michael Robinson who after retiring from Osasuna his Spanish was so good that he ended up being a pundit (still is) for Spanish tv and actually has several tv football programs he presents. The most impressive is his radio program on Cadena SER... On that medium you can’t use body language to help you get by.

Also, it’s not like Spanish is some sort of obscure language. They teach it in schools in the UK. I know infants that have a better handling of Spanish than Gareth Bale in London.

The people that have always impressed me the most to this effect are the Dutch. Not only do they naturally speak better English than many of our politicians and natives, but wherever they go they seem to magically learn any language within a week. xD @Panna King

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Batard said:

My question would be who is playing in front of him on the right wing as they'll be covering his marauding runs forward. 

Well Atleti don’t play a traditional 4-4-2 to obtain natural cover. They always implement a congested midfield and cover is offered in zonally depending on who’s tracked back with who or who has slipped into a certain position to maintain the formation.

Atlético Madrid have always used full-back as a main avenue of attack with Filipe Luis (LB) and Juanfran (RB) traditionally. There have beeb other variations although those have been the usual suspects as they’re the only ones that have managed to offer Simeone the extreme discipline he demands of his footballers. There are no excuses for not doing as one has been told once the ball has been lost. 

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

You’re right, Atleti won’t be like Real Madrid for example where you’re permitted to hide the fact you haven’t bothered to learn the language at all.

Like you say in a subsequent post, Gareth Bale is an extreme case of not bothering at all to learn anything and worst of all, not caring. Although I’ve always thought we’re being a tad unfair with Gareth as his skull shape does tell us quite a bit about why he may be that way inclined... At least that was what I learned back in Primary School years but I must admit I seem to remember focusing more on learning about dinosaurs than the more mundane primitive man.

facetious moment over...

There are many cases as you later point out of big efforts by footballers to learn the language of where they ply their trade. I can go further back even than Gary Lineker who indeed learned the Spanish very well, to Michael Robinson who after retiring from Osasuna his Spanish was so good that he ended up being a pundit (still is) for Spanish tv and actually has several tv football programs he presents. The most impressive is his radio program on Cadena SER... On that medium you can’t use body language to help you get by.

Also, it’s not like Spanish is some sort of obscure language. They teach it in schools in the UK. I know infants that have a better handling of Spanish than Gareth Bale in London.

The people that have always impressed me the most to this effect are the Dutch. Not only do they naturally speak better English than many of our politicians and natives, but wherever they go they seem to magically learn any language within a week. xD @Panna King

It's more of an interest speaking another Language but mostly English speaking nations in general the majority tend not to learn the language if they live in another country.  

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've never understood how players can move countries and then never bother to learn the language. How the fuck are you meant to communicate with your teammates or berate the referee/linesmen/fourth official? It's so unprofessional to move to another country, have a job there, and make no effort to learn the language.

I'd like to think that Bale and Tevez are just thick as pigshit and it's not the norm, but I have my reasons for doubting that.

Exactly this (even though I think it's technically unprofessional in equal measure to berate officials; we all do it though).

Having said that, I'm pretty sure all officials at a high level will be able to speak more than one language - it's why I presume they can referee European games or be picked for international tournaments. I'm guessing officials have a basic enough grasp to speak in another language about what a player might talk to them about. 

The moving to another country, working and making no effort to learn language of the country in I totally agree with though - in fact it goes for pretty much any job, let alone football.

15 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've never understood how players can move countries and then never bother to learn the language. How the fuck are you meant to communicate with your teammates or berate the referee/linesmen/fourth official? It's so unprofessional to move to another country, have a job there, and make no effort to learn the language.

I'd like to think that Bale and Tevez are just thick as pigshit and it's not the norm, but I have my reasons for doubting that.

Tevez can barely speak Spanish, let alone another language

I agree with everyone about needing to learn a new language when moving to said country. The plus side of Europe though is that most people can speak English fluently. I have a lot of friends in Peru who can speak English but I also have a lot who can't speak a word. I'd say the latter is more prevalent in South America.

Here is one really cool video that made me respect Paul Pogba a bit more. A Peruvian journalist asked him in English what they thought about the game against us, and he replied in Spanish.

20 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

I agree with everyone about needing to learn a new language when moving to said country. The plus side of Europe though is that most people can speak English fluently. I have a lot of friends in Peru who can speak English but I also have a lot who can't speak a word. I'd say the latter is more prevalent in South America.

Here is one really cool video that made me respect Paul Pogba a bit more. A Peruvian journalist asked him in English what they thought about the game against us, and he replied in Spanish.

I’m not so sure Man Utd fans will be happy about his more than decent handling of Spanish!!! The question is why has he learned it so well??? :o

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I’m not so sure Man Utd fans will be happy about his more than decent handling of Spanish!!! The question is why has he learned it so well??? :o

He already knows French and Italian, Spanish is pretty similar to those two tbh.

On 19/07/2019 at 15:59, Grizzly21 said:

You can understand every word he says when he speaks Spanish as well, unlike when listening to a lot of South American players :ph34r:

Archived