talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Popular Sports/Games In Your Country

football forum

Cricket - It's the center of the community, unlike it's country of origin it's a sport for everyone no working elite class shit, kids play it by wrapping a tennis ball in electric tape with wickets made up of bricks and stuff. You'll see it everywhere 

Field hockey - It's like with Cricket situation in England, big part of the culture, still played but doesn't has the interest of everyone. Good if we win but doesn't matters if we lose. 

Football - More popular than Cricket in some parts of the country but the corporate sector isn't interested in it yet. 

Volleyball - It's big in rural areas, drive between cities and you'll see volleyball matches with quite a crowd some even with flood lights and commentary, it has replaced the likes of cock fighting as entertainment in those parts plenty of betting on it too.

Tennis & Squash - Huge among the elite class and we have history in squash

Snooker/pool - When i was in high school boys used to bunk classes to play their local snooker tournament matches that they payed to enter. 

Wrestling - Mostly a traditional thing, only people with family associated with the sport take it up or have interest but it's part of the culture 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Panna King said:

Field Hockey - extremely popular and played widely throughout the country.

Speed Skating - we are the best in the world at this.

Football 

Handball

Volleyball

Baseball

Fierljeppen

Kickboxing/MMA

Baseball :o

AFL. A shit game no one outside of 3 states of the nation gives a fuck about. Robs the other sports of their talent pools
NRL. A shit game no one outside of 2 states of the nation gives a fuck about. Robs the other sports of their talent pools
Cricket. Getting ruined by the ICC and curry cricket council, and the country gives less of a fuck than it should for reasons I'll get into later
Football. Lots of young pure athletes getting sucked up into the whirlpool of NRL and AFL tho. Less people give a fuck than they should because of the attention on the mickey mouse sports at the top.
Rugby. Talent pool robbed by NRL and AFL. Better sport than either one, and other countries play it, but this makes it LESS popular when Australia aren't at the top.

We love to talk about how we love an underdog, but the fact is the Australian public only likes winners. If the international teams are going poorly people lose focus on that sport to watch another one. It's a vicious cycle. The country loves AFL and NRL because we can't lose those sports to other nations because their 'ours'. It's small-time as fuck

• The title was changed to Popular Sports/Games In Your Country
7 hours ago, Stick With Azeem said:

Waiting for it 

10 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

AFL. A shit game no one outside of 3 states of the nation gives a fuck about. Robs the other sports of their talent pools
NRL. A shit game no one outside of 2 states of the nation gives a fuck about. Robs the other sports of their talent pools
Cricket. Getting ruined by the ICC and curry cricket council, and the country gives less of a fuck than it should for reasons I'll get into later
Football. Lots of young pure athletes getting sucked up into the whirlpool of NRL and AFL tho. Less people give a fuck than they should because of the attention on the mickey mouse sports at the top.
Rugby. Talent pool robbed by NRL and AFL. Better sport than either one, and other countries play it, but this makes it LESS popular when Australia aren't at the top.

We love to talk about how we love an underdog, but the fact is the Australian public only likes winners. If the international teams are going poorly people lose focus on that sport to watch another one. It's a vicious cycle. The country loves AFL and NRL because we can't lose those sports to other nations because their 'ours'. It's small-time as fuck

9 minutes ago, Stick With Azeem said:

I was asking why should Australia give more fuck about Cricket. Hasn't it always been a summer sport in the country ? Not a universally popular sport ?

Because it's a relevant sport that Australia is actually good at. But no one goes to one day or sheff shield games at all. Only the international team and t2o teams has a following and that diminishes whenever they go overseas or lose a series 

Peru

Football: Most popular sport like every other South American country barring Venezuela. Probably popular because of the British who came over in the 19th century. Lima Cricket is the first club to practice football in all of the America's.

Volleyball: We are (or were) actually quite good at this historically, which is probably why people started getting interested. This is the only sport besides football that matters in the country. The rest are non-entities.

Canada

Ice Hockey: Probably because it's invented by Canadians, we are the best in the world at the sport and because it's cold. Personally I find the sport watchable. 

Basketball: Also invented by a Canadian and it's actually more popular in some parts of Canada then Ice Hockey. When I went over to the west coast, I was told that Basketball was more popular than Hockey (at least in Terrace, don't know about Vancouver)

NFL/CFL: Putting these 2 together because it depends on where you go. In Ontario, the NFL is more popular because of how American influenced the province is. Outside of Ontario, CFL is more popular. Keep in mind these are 2 different sports although very similar to one another. They are also both rubbish and unwatchable.

Contrary to popular belief, Baseball is not as important as some would think here in Canada. I'd actually say soccer/football is more popular here.

• Subscriber

Cricket

Field Hockey

Kabaddi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabaddi) - bunch of guys trying to grab each other and doing insane acrobatics which looks like watching a bad presentation of the Brazilian martial art - Capoeria but its far from it and is a very skillful sport.

Football

<Anything and pretty much everything else>

Problem with India is everything is zonal in such a small space so you'll find states where Football is the #1 sport and then others where Cricket has the mass appeal, then you have parts of states where Field Hockey trumps everything else. But all in all, I think the hierarchy for sports and their importance is what I have listed above. 

• 3 years later...
  • Subscriber

Thought I would post this here, Phil ( @DeadLinesman), I know you support the Cats (Geelong) in Aussie Rules Football and they thrashed the Brisbane Lions 120 - 49 to reach this year's Grand Final, what do you reckon, they are playing the Sydney Swans and the Swans are underdogs, will you win?

4 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Thought I would post this here, Phil ( @DeadLinesman), I know you support the Cats (Geelong) in Aussie Rules Football and they thrashed the Brisbane Lions 120 - 49 to reach this year's Grand Final, what do you reckon, they are playing the Sydney Swans and the Swans are underdogs, will you win?

We’ve been the best team in the comp by miles, but Sydney will be no push over. We start as huge favourites though. Should get our first flag since 2012.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

We’ve been the best team in the comp by miles, but Sydney will be no push over. We start as huge favourites though. Should get our first flag since 2012.

I can remember the Swans when they were based in Melbourne, Albert Park was their ground and just named South Melbourne then, I think the ground was pulled down and now it's an F1 racing circuit.

It should be a good game but I have been watching Geelong all season and they got better as the season drew on, my Carlton was going great guns and then lost 4 games on the trot and just missed the finals by % to the Western Bulldogs, I was gutted.

52 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I can remember the Swans when they were based in Melbourne, Albert Park was their ground and just named South Melbourne then, I think the ground was pulled down and now it's an F1 racing circuit.

It should be a good game but I have been watching Geelong all season and they got better as the season drew on, my Carlton was going great guns and then lost 4 games on the trot and just missed the finals by % to the Western Bulldogs, I was gutted.

Mate I bet you remember when the sport was codified:hh:

7 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Woeful sport that has brainwashed almost everyone to think that it’s the most popular sport in the country. 

2 hours ago, Toinho said:

Woeful sport that has brainwashed almost everyone to think that it’s the most popular sport in the country. 

It’s not really that bad mate. People love it, have fun, it’s got a great live attendance. You know I’m from QLD and I don’t care for it but I can’t knock how people love it. But I do agree it isn’t ‘Australia’s sport’ because it isn’t played by half the country. It’d be cricket but never did get the right attention outside of international. A huge shame the domestic nature of cricket is so under developed.

fuck I wish NRL and AFL were both national, teams in every city, but for some reason they are competing with each other even though they are incredibly different. In the USA American football doesn’t compete with basketball, it makes no sense why AFL v NRL is a thing.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

It’s not really that bad mate. People love it, have fun, it’s got a great live attendance. You know I’m from QLD and I don’t care for it but I can’t knock how people love it. But I do agree it isn’t ‘Australia’s sport’ because it isn’t played by half the country. It’d be cricket but never did get the right attention outside of international. A huge shame the domestic nature of cricket is so under developed.

fuck I wish NRL and AFL were both national, teams in every city, but for some reason they are competing with each other even though they are incredibly different. In the USA American football doesn’t compete with basketball, it makes no sense why AFL v NRL is a thing.

The AFL have marketed the game to the Australian people with generally such incredible success you can’t help but applaud that. However, government funding is very biased towards the sport and doesn’t truly reflect the participation numbers. Think I read in QLD that Aussie rules gets insane funding whereas the more popular codes league, soccer, etc get very little. Must try find that article. 

13 minutes ago, Toinho said:

The AFL have marketed the game to the Australian people with generally such incredible success you can’t help but applaud that. However, government funding is very biased towards the sport and doesn’t truly reflect the participation numbers. Think I read in QLD that Aussie rules gets insane funding whereas the more popular codes league, soccer, etc get very little. Must try find that article. 

League is a religion in my town, that’s atrocious.

6 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

GET THE FUCK IN CATS. 

My biggest moment of sporting happiness in almost 10 years.

Just saw the score. What a farce. Imagine liking a sport where a final is so one sided it may as well have been Geelong versus Deadlines Man.

Archived