talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Synthwave

football forum

Thanks to series like Stranger Things and movies like Drive, I have been introduced to the genre of synthwave. 

This is technically a subgenre of electronic music, but it has heavy eighties influences and elements that remind you of retro video games or cyberpunk. 

I am still fairly new to this, but enjoying the music. I only know a handful of artists like Kavinsky, The Midnight, Timecops1983, Com Truise, Electric Youth and Tangerine Dreams. 

Is anyone else here into this, and if yes, then suggestions for more bands or songs or playlists please. 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started listening that type of music a lot since I played Hotline Miami back in 2012 which is full of those type of songs. My favourites are Pertubator, Jasper Byrne, Danger & Carpenter Brut.

Some songs I like:

• Subscriber

I remember reading an article online after watching the latest Blade Runner about how synth was slowly making its way into prominence around sci-fi but then I always think it has been around in that genre. Then I went and found this.

I suppose you could also throw stuff from the latest Tron in there as well. IDK why but whenever I remember these two movies specifically I think nothing but a synth could create the mood and ambiance required.

@Mel81x

The 'Mesa' track, especially when they pass the dam, after K says 'Wanna go for a ride' always makes me feel happy. It made me go wow on all four occasions I watched it in the theatres. 

Tron also did define the genre very well. 

@Fusion

Oh Perturbator is real good. 

@topic

Forgot posting this YouTube handle in the opening post, that regularly posts some lovely artists. 

NewRetroWave

https://www.youtube.com/user/NewRetroWave

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

@Mel81x

The 'Mesa' track, especially when they pass the dam, after K says 'Wanna go for a ride' always makes me feel happy. It made me go wow on all four occasions I watched it in the theatres. 

Tron also did define the genre very well. 

When I think about it even the original Blade Runner's score was so similar in many ways because they needed to create this sense of great expanse with intricacies. Then I went and looked and found this, the synth usage here is different compared to the newer one but for its time and what it was portraying ... wow.

Yeah Vangelis' work was far ahead of his time. 

Zimmer and Wallfisch did a good job with 2049. Interestingly Zimmer said no to Nolan's new movie, because he is working with Villeneuve on Dune. So Nolan is going to work with Wallfisch. 

Edit: I got that half wrong. Zimmer has said no to Nolan to work on Dune. Gorannson is working on Nolan's next. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

The famous YouTube anthem wasn't half bad. It was electronic but it wasn't retrowave. 

I am speaking of 009 Soundsystem Dreamscape

What a throwback that is. Some of the best memories on videos because people were forced to put these horrendous tracks and they got insanely popular as a result.

It's a classic alright. I remember searching for this song for days once. I didn't know the name. But the tutorials did make some interesting songs popular, as you say. Back then, when YouTube was still for the independent creators and amateurs. People simply attached obscure music to their notepad tutorials. 

Archived