talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Dark Knight

football forum

• Subscriber

e89053d55d30ecf7a51ad74c85e8989b.png

The Dark Knight Is Still The Highest Rated Superhero Film Of All Time

Despite being released a whopping 11 years ago, 2008's iconic Batman flick The Dark Knight is still the highest-rated superhero film on IMDb.

The second film in Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, it was released as a sequel to 2005's Batman Begins and saw Christian Bale reprise his role as the caped crusader alongside the likes of Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman.

Most notably, The Dark Knight introduced actor Heath Ledger to the franchise, where he was able to give a career-defining performance as The Joker - just before his untimely death mere months before the film was released.

d23dde225d30f775a51a54c87f347789.png

Heath Ledger as The Joker. Credit: Warner Bros

Many people have been remembering the film, marking the 11th anniversary of its release on Twitter to celebrate its lasting legacy.

One person tweeted: "Eleven years ago today, we were blessed with not just the best superhero movie - but one of the greatest films of all time. There has never been a better Joker, Batman, Two-Face, & even Lt. Gordon in DC's cinematic history. Happy birthday to the best sequel ever, THE DARK KNIGHT!!"

Someone else wrote: "11 years later and THE DARK KNIGHT is still one of my favourite movie-going experiences."

Another said: "The Dark Knight is 11 years old and it's still one of the greatest movies I've ever seen."

A third wrote: "The Dark Knight s**** all over any Marvel film. Not just the best superhero film ever, but one of the best films ever!"

While the film is often praised for various elements - Bale's dark and brooding Bruce Wayne, its high-speed convoy scene, to name just a few - there was one thing on most people's lips as they left cinemas in 2008: Heath Ledger's Joker.

The role proved so momentous that he was even awarded the Oscar Award for Best Supporting Actor that year - tragically, a posthumous accolade, as he'd died after suffering accidental intoxication from prescription drugs.

In order to effectively convey the warped psyche of the character, Ledger had prepared extensively, even exiling himself from social interactions in order to develop a disturbing mindset.

In the documentary, Too Young To Die, Heath's dad, Kim, said: "He pretty well locked himself up in a hotel room for weeks. He galvanised the upcoming character.

"That was typical of Heath. He would do that. He liked to dive into his characters, but this time he really took it up a notch."

Still, some 11 years later and both the film and Ledger's performance have proved unstoppable - having been released in the same year that Phase One of the Marvel Cinematic Universe properly kicked off with Iron Man... I mean, if the MCU can't knock something off the top spot after all this time, then let's face it, what the hell can?

Featured Image Credit: Warner Bros

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/film-and-tv-the-dark-knight-is-still-the-highest-rated-superhero-film-of-all-time-20190718?source=twitter

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Batman Begins was on the same level, I think, but Heath Ledgers performance makes the Dark Knight stand out. Definitely prefer these kind of super hero movies over all this marvel crap they try to shove down our throats. 

• Subscriber

I went to this one without even seeing a trailer and when I got out I said that DC had something very special on their hands. Coming off the post Burton style Batman (which is awesome in its own right) and those other Batman's which were comical to say the least to something like Batman Begins and the Dark Knight was a total change in the way the books were meant to be. I don't think its just Heath alone that makes this work because all the characters do a splendid job.

• The title was changed to The Dark Knight

I remember stepping out after watching this movie and telling all my friends that this is the Godfather of superhero movies. 

Ledger put in a great performance, but that wasn't the only thing that made this movie special. I doubt anyone deciphered the twists that came in this movie. And the sacrifice in the end. It was all brilliant. Add to that the perfect soundtrack that suited the tense and the action parts.

This movie was not just about big action scenes between the good and the bad guys. The closest any super hero movie comes to this is Captain America Civil War. 

7 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Add to that the perfect soundtrack that suited the tense and the action parts.

Nolan's next movie will be without Hans Zimmer :(

Archived