talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2019/20 Greats, Flops & Leftfield Surprises

• Administrator

With a mere few weeks left until the Premier League 2019/20 season commencing let's take a look at who's going to rip up trees, struggle with weeds and who could surprisingly curate Kew Gardens.

Mightier than Mjölnir ... 

Richarlison (Everton)

Image result for everton richarlison

I'm going to stick my neck on the block here with this one. Richarlison for me last season was a fair weather player, as soon as it got to the colder stinging temperatures of winter, the gloves came out and the performances froze. At least, that was my perception. I feel given his run now in the Brazil team and how he is physically a proper athlete and more comfortable with English football, I think this will be his breakout season. I think potentially it will be his last as well, I feel he'll take it up a notch this season and the bigger teams will come sniffing and he'll bag Everton a sizeable return on their investment. Of course, so much of this depends on how he is deployed, but if he is spearheading the attack I have no doubts he'll get goals galore. He's a real handful from a power and technique perspective. Expecting him to hit 15 goals minimum in the league. 

Shitter than a night out in Blackpool ...

David Luiz (Chelsea)

Image result for Chelsea David Luiz

Controversial choice maybe but given how expansive Frank Lampard was from an attacking perspective setting up Derby, they leaked goals. I don't mean Brighton levels of whooping but they played on the front foot and often got punished for it. What you need with attacking football is defensively solid centrehalves who have sound positional sense, a good sense for when to tackle and when to shepherd a player. David Luiz is a great distributor of the ball and gets forward well. As a defender, he's a lottery performance. One week he's winning you the prize, the next he's doing ridiculous things that lead to goals being conceded. I can see him starting the season and being dumped from the team before October. He's a luxury you can ill-afford in a four man defence. 

Shawshank Redemption Slowburner ...

Mason Mount (Chelsea)

Image result for mason mount

I would accept this is probably a safe choice. But then again, he's not guaranteed first team football with the players at Chelsea's disposal. However, I think the lad has some real class about him that has allowed him to flourish at lower levels in Holland and the Championship that says it's time to blood him in the Premier League. I think he's a lot more talented than Barkley and RLC to boot. This could be a real breakout for the season ahead. Or he could be sent on loan back to the Championship if Lampard is sacked by November. If Lampard does well, I believe Mount will have more than a passing role in at that at some point.

What did you make of my choices? Can you make more compelling arguments for other players? 

• The title was changed to 2019/20 Greats, Flops & Leftfield Surprises
  • This topic was pinned and featured
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

For Leicester:

Greats:
Jamie Vardy - 
A perennial achiever and star player for us. Can't see this season being any different. Only needs 20 more Premier League goals to reach 100 which is phenomenal considering he's only been in the Premier League for 4 seasons. If he doesn't get it this season, next season for sure (if injuries are avoided). We struggled at times whenever he's not playing which just emphasises his importance to the team. Having Tielemans and Perez as well as Maddison now in our midfield should help his cause.

Flops:
Wes Morgan - I feel really bad for saying this but perhaps this is the season where we'll realise (if it hasn't been realised before) that his time at this level is ending. At the start of last season it was probably seen as well given he got 2 red cards in as many games I think but he did improve and it was like it was back to his usual self. This season though will just become more difficult to probably even get in to the side ahead of Maguire, Benkovic, Evans (who was superb last season and exceeded expectations), and perhaps Soyuncu.

Leftfield Surprises:
James Justin - Signed from Luton for approx £7.5m which is hefty for a League One player but could go one of 2 ways - could turn out to be a bargain over the next few years or could turn out to be a flop and in the above section in a few seasons time. But having seen what he's capable of at some points last season and hearing reviews from Luton fans who would have watched him continually, as well as seeing him today in a friendly, he seems like a very able back-up to Ricardo Pereira at RB. Gives us a lot of versatility as well as if Pereira needs to play higher up the pitch, we have a player who hopefully can slot in fairly comfortably in his place.

Will do picks for the rest of Premier League later.

Aston Villa 

Greats - Grealish I’m 100% sold on him, no club has as deep a connection currently with a player the way we do with Jack. That punch and winner vs the Blues will be talked about for years in these parts, I’m expect him to be challenging for a place at the Euro’s. 

Flops: 

chester I personally think he’s done at this level and will struggle to command a staring place, Jack will retain the captaincy so I can see him moving on next summer if not sooner. 

Left field: Guilbert 

already seen him look like a bargain at right back I expect him to triple in value over the course of the season. 

• Subscriber

Leicester

Great - Youri Tielemans. His loan spell was a significant reason, along with the introduction of Rodgers for our upturn in both results and performances last season. Getting him permanently really is a sign of how far we've come as a club in the last ten years - unthinkable once upon a time. He is class, a great fit for our side and with a pre-season here behind him as well I'd go as far as saying he could be one of the standout midfielders in the league. I think we'll lose him in two years to a giant.

Flop - Demarai Gray. I don't know if this is something I'd put specifically on this season, but I feel like his final chance was the final third of the season just gone under Rodgers and unfortunately for him, he was probably the weakest regular starter. After years of underwhelming goal and assist returns I think he'll flounder here this year, and will see his time limited again, and he can blame nobody but himself. I genuinely think it's best for all parties if he leaves Leicester.

Left field - Caglar Soyuncu. Maguire's possible departure is going to present Leicester a dilemma - do we spend big on another defender to replace him, or do we go with one of the two we signed last season in Soyuncu or Benkovic, or even just give them both time? I think Benkovic's injury problems have hampered his pre-season somewhat and Soyuncu's probably now in pole position, and I find it intriguing that Rodgers is playing Soyuncu in our stronger XI in friendlies and Maguire in the weaker - maybe he's identified him as the man to replace him. Soyuncu arrived at Leicester with a reputation of being a quick, promising, talented centre half with a solid amount of experience in the Bundesliga and at international level. What I'm saying is he's the kind of player we'd be hoping to go for in my eyes if Maguire did leave, so the fact he's been here a year without doing much shouldn't mean he gets overlooked here. We spent a fair bit of money on this bloke. I like most of what I see from him but he does have an error in him - I am however prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt as it's still relatively early doors for him here in terms of actual games played. This bloke could be the surprise of our team. He's got a hint of David Luiz about him.

Rest of the league

Great - Tanguy Ndombele. He arrives with absolutely rave reviews from plenty of respected journalists who have seen him in action for Lyon and for me he could be the signing that elevates Tottenham to that next level. A really interesting buy.

Flop - Aston Villa. They're going one of two ways this season - they will either continue their strong finish last year into this one and really kick onto another level, or they will totally flunk it with a nearly entirely new side under a manager plying his trade at the highest level he's ever managed at. I'm all for taking gambles, but I think there's a few too many in there and it's going to end badly for them. They're an interesting one this year though.

Left field - Brighton. I feel like this is a genuine left field shout as well here and I'm very much in the minority, but I think Brighton will actually have a decent season and won't be near the relegation mix. I think in Hughton you had a steady, albeit limited manager who eventually gets found out at this level and under him they were only heading one way this year. Potter I find a fascinating manager. What he did with Ostersunds was pretty extraordinary and by all accounts that Swansea side last year that fell out of the play-off push right at the end had absolutely no business being even close. He's not your typical manager at all and I've got this niggling feeling that a lot of Brighton's players, players like Jahanbakhsh, Locadia and Bissouma, are better than they're given credit for and that Hughton's limitations never got the best out of them. My slight contradiction is however this is like Smith who I've just tipped to flop, the highest level Potter has ever managed at, but I just think Potter's got a bit more about him.

Great

Team - Leicester City

There were signs toward the end of last season that Leicester under Rogers looked a great match and I think that will only continue.

At this moment in time, they still have Maguire although there's every chance he goes. Him aside though, they still have great quality.

Both full backs offer serious threat going forward in Perreira and Chilwell. 

They now have Tielemans permanently which is great business to fight off some of the bigger fish for him. Maddison will only improve and get better and Ayoze Perez is a canny signing. He knows the league and will fit into the way Rodgers wants his team to play. Not to mention young Harvey Barnes.

As for Vardy, he's coming to the end of his peak but is one of the most reliable finishers in the league and his pace is still a big threat.

I can see Leicester rolling some of the big sides over and having a really good season with Rodgers at the helm.

Player - Kevin De Bruyne

Last season never really happened for KDB. Having previously matched Salah blow for blow in 17/18, narrowly losing the PFA title to him, De Bruyne suffered 2 or 3 big injuries that derailed his season and reducing him to shortened cameo's.

Having had plenty of rest, and with a full pre season behind him, I can see De Bruyne getting back to his very best. Especially given he looks odds on to be their new captain, he will be buzzing to have a major impact.

Flop

Team - Newcastle

What is there to possibly say that hasn't been said about Newcastle.

I feel like I'm really putting the boot into them at the moment and I feel bad for singling them out but I really feel like they are staring down the barrel.

Downgrade in manager, toxic atmosphere amongst the fanbase, same old regime, lost quality without improving on what they had, I struggle to see how it ends well for them.

Player - Christian Pulisic

I feel like Pulisic is unfortunate in that he'll be a young man starting with a lot of pressure on his shoulders in his debut season.

How do you replace Eden Hazard? Ok, he wasn't bought as a Hazard replacement but there will be an expectancy for him to produce goals and assists that the team will lose from Hazard's departure.

And given the size of the transfer fee, if he struggles to adapt to the PL and hit the ground running in the first couple months, there is a danger the pressure could get to him.

Let's be honest, I don't think Dortmund were particularly gutted to lose him, he'd fallen out the first team picture there and the fee they received was more than generous.

Surprise

Team - Sheff Utd

Can't say I'm massively impressed by their summer activity but I do think they have the capabilities to surprise a few.

What Sheffield United do well is play as a team. They have a bunch of honest players who aren't afraid to play football and Chris Wilder is a very underrated coach.

They will give it a good go and with the vocal crowd backing them at Bramall Lane, I fancy them to make a decent fist of staying up against the odds.

Player - Che Adams

Very canny business from Southampton. Adams is young, hungry to prove himself and has all the attributes to be a hit in the PL.

I can see him holding down a first team spot no problems and scoring a fair few goals in a much more improved Southampton side.

They needed a decent striker and to sell Targett to Villa and basically pay another couple million on top for Adams is probably one of the best examples of shrewdness in the transfer market this summer. Watch this space.

16 hours ago, Lucas said:

Player - Che Adams

Very canny business from Southampton. Adams is young, hungry to prove himself and has all the attributes to be a hit in the PL.

I can see him holding down a first team spot no problems and scoring a fair few goals in a much more improved Southampton side.

They needed a decent striker and to sell Targett to Villa and basically pay another couple million on top for Adams is probably one of the best examples of shrewdness in the transfer market this summer. Watch this space.

Hard to believe he's only just turned 23. Feels like he's been around a while. 

Since he signed for Southampton, I've been tempted to put him in my fantasy team as a cheap option that could pay off. 

Flops - Aston Villa. They've looked at the shambolic Fulham model from last season and pissed money around on no-mark players. Huge gamble for them - unsurprising though, as nobody £v£r fucking l£arns. 

Greats - Sheffield United. Polar opposite to the aforementioned Villa, they've been immense under Wilder as they are a true epitomy of more than the sum of their parts. The whole positive dynamic at the club, their expansive, exciting football - done with a core of players who have been together since League One.

Left field surprises - Ravel Morrison. Apparently, he's found God out in Mexico, and wants to stop being the silly little boy he has been ever since he burst onto the scene. I hope, for him and for Sheffield United, that he can resist the temptation of travelling over Snake Pass to his old scumbag mates in Manchester.

My instant favourite player as a total PL neutral, based solely on their inspirational name - Marvellous Nakamba. Just look at that. Cult hero, straight into my fantasy football team alongside Isaac Success. No idea if the lad can play, I just want him to tear the division apart.

• Subscriber

Ravel Morrison you do feel is probably a lost cause but I think that environment may actually save him from total obscurity. You do feel it's the absolute final chance for him now though.

21 hours ago, Dan said:

Ravel Morrison you do feel is probably a lost cause but I think that environment may actually save him from total obscurity. You do feel it's the absolute final chance for him now though.

I genuinely believe Wilder will get the best out of him. Having rotted in Sweden and Mexico for a while, he's surely lost a lot of his arrogance off the pitch. Hopefully, as far as United fans will be concerned, without losing his swagger on it. 

Agreed, total last chance saloon for him now.

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

I genuinely believe Wilder will get the best out of him. Having rotted in Sweden and Mexico for a while, he's surely lost a lot of his arrogance off the pitch. Hopefully, as far as United fans will be concerned, without losing his swagger on it. 

Agreed, total last chance saloon for him now.

I thought his problems were more off the pitch rather than attitude on it, although of course naturally the off field became such a problem that it's basically ruined anything on the pitch.

I do believe in the culture of certain clubs and that if you create the right environment, you can turn people around that you didn't think you would be able to. Maybe what Wilder's created at Sheffield United will bring out the best in him. You would back him to be able to over most in the league I think.

• 2 weeks later...

For the league overall, I'll go with:

Great - Tanguy Ndombele; just the signing Spurs needed imo. 

Flop - This one's easy. Newcastle, the whole club, I think there's just too much toxicity at the club paired with a manager who's last spell in the top flight left him looking inept. It's a recipe for a rough season. I'd be happy to be wrong, because I like Newcastle... but my gut is just telling me they'll be dogshite all season.

Left field surprises - I actually don't know how much of a surprise this is, because his form from last season was good. But Norwich's Max Aarons, regardless of whether Norwich manage to survive this season, I think will be the most sought after player from a promoted side this season. 19 years old and looking like he's got all the right attributes to be a successful modern fullback - plus he can cover at left back as well.

Now for Liverpool:

Great - Naby Keita. I have a feeling that we have so much more to see from Keita, after his promising start last season he then had a pretty inconsistent time after his first injury with us - which is to be expected, he was taken away from regular first team football as he's learning how to play with a new squad in a new system. This year we've got a player who's had (most) of a full pre-season with us that's more familiar with the league, squad, and system. He's a player that club early on identified as someone he wants to work with and that's incredibly well rounded as a player. I think he's in for a big year with us.

Flop - Adam Lallana. This one's a bit harsh, and I really hope I'm wrong. But I am fearful for Lallana in his apparent new role as a #6. In all honesty, he's looked pretty decent there in pre-season. However he's also given the ball away quite a bit in what should be the part of our midfield where you don't see us sloppily throw possession away. But it's a new role for a player that I really like, and Klopp really likes, but it's just one I didn't really ever picture Lallana playing in. I just don't know if he's got the range of passing or the defensive positioning skillset. Fabinho's clearly first choice in that position, but I can see Gini taking over from Lallana at some point in the season as our "backup" #6. I understand where Klopp is coming from though - he wants to keep Henderson in the box to box role (everyone at LFC should, he's great there) and he doesn't want to lose a player with the work ethic, skill, and character (he's one of the most popular players in the dressing room, apparently) in Lallana and he's found room for him in a different position.

Hope I'm wrong though because I'd love a Lallana renaissance. A Lallanaissance

Left field surprises - Xherdan Shaqiri. I was going to go with Brewster, but I think it's easier to go with an established senior player than a kid. I think they'll both be important squad players though. Shaqiri started the season off well for us, then sort of lost his place with a variety of injuries (the funniest being his pube injury). Like with Keita, I think we'll see a better Shaqiri than we saw last season because he's going to be more settled with the rest of the squad and the system. He's got the talent to be a big squad player for us, as demonstrated last season, and I think he'll prove to be one this season - one of his biggest nights for us was actually one of his worst performances for us... the 4-0 against Barca where he made the crucial assist for Gini's second. And I think we're going to see some good stuff from him over the course of the season, whether it's filling in for one of our big name wide men... or whether it's playing centrally in a 4-2-3-1 when we're having a hard time breaking down sides that sit deep.

• 2 weeks later...

Great - Raheem Sterling. No point being brave. Played a more central role in pre season, scoring for fun, improving every game, and about to become the poster boy for Euro 2020. His change from boy to man has been fascinating and long may it continue.

Flop - Aston Villa. Just a Fulham that have signed shitter players.

Surprise - Andriy Yarmolenko. Back from injury to make a impact for West Ham. If he can produce his previous form then West Ham are laughing.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

They lost game 8 5-1 we won it 5-1 and you beat them 2-0 when in reality we had a perfectly good goal disallowed vs you. I’m confident we’ll put this right though later on this year 

You beat a promoted team 5-1, it doesn’t mean that much tbh

• 6 months later...
On 23/07/2019 at 02:59, Lucas said:

Great

Team - Leicester City

There were signs toward the end of last season that Leicester under Rogers looked a great match and I think that will only continue.

At this moment in time, they still have Maguire although there's every chance he goes. Him aside though, they still have great quality.

Both full backs offer serious threat going forward in Perreira and Chilwell. 

They now have Tielemans permanently which is great business to fight off some of the bigger fish for him. Maddison will only improve and get better and Ayoze Perez is a canny signing. He knows the league and will fit into the way Rodgers wants his team to play. Not to mention young Harvey Barnes.

As for Vardy, he's coming to the end of his peak but is one of the most reliable finishers in the league and his pace is still a big threat.

I can see Leicester rolling some of the big sides over and having a really good season with Rodgers at the helm.

Player - Kevin De Bruyne

Last season never really happened for KDB. Having previously matched Salah blow for blow in 17/18, narrowly losing the PFA title to him, De Bruyne suffered 2 or 3 big injuries that derailed his season and reducing him to shortened cameo's.

Having had plenty of rest, and with a full pre season behind him, I can see De Bruyne getting back to his very best. Especially given he looks odds on to be their new captain, he will be buzzing to have a major impact.

Flop

Team - Newcastle

What is there to possibly say that hasn't been said about Newcastle.

I feel like I'm really putting the boot into them at the moment and I feel bad for singling them out but I really feel like they are staring down the barrel.

Downgrade in manager, toxic atmosphere amongst the fanbase, same old regime, lost quality without improving on what they had, I struggle to see how it ends well for them.

Player - Christian Pulisic

I feel like Pulisic is unfortunate in that he'll be a young man starting with a lot of pressure on his shoulders in his debut season.

How do you replace Eden Hazard? Ok, he wasn't bought as a Hazard replacement but there will be an expectancy for him to produce goals and assists that the team will lose from Hazard's departure.

And given the size of the transfer fee, if he struggles to adapt to the PL and hit the ground running in the first couple months, there is a danger the pressure could get to him.

Let's be honest, I don't think Dortmund were particularly gutted to lose him, he'd fallen out the first team picture there and the fee they received was more than generous.

Surprise

Team - Sheff Utd

Can't say I'm massively impressed by their summer activity but I do think they have the capabilities to surprise a few.

What Sheffield United do well is play as a team. They have a bunch of honest players who aren't afraid to play football and Chris Wilder is a very underrated coach.

They will give it a good go and with the vocal crowd backing them at Bramall Lane, I fancy them to make a decent fist of staying up against the odds.

Player - Che Adams

Seeing as we don't k ow if this will finish or not, I'm quite happy with my choices to date.

Great

Got it spot on with Leicester. Really fancied them to kick on under Rodgers and whilst they had a little drop since the turn of the year, occupying a CL spot was more than they could have hoped for.

Kevin De Bruyne has been fantastic. He has made double the assists to everyone else bar one player (TAA) and that shows his dominance. It may not have been a real 'out there' prediction but I fancied he'd come back strong and the fact he's had good luck with injuries has ensured he's proven he is the best midfielder in the league currently.

Flops

Hold my hands up and say I got it wrong with Newcastle. I expected a real whimper from them under Bruce and whilst they have been awful to watch, they have scrapped clear of relegation and done better than I expected.

As for Pulisic, that wasn't far off. He took about 7 or 8 games to adjust to the league and then smashed a hat trick against Burnley out of nowhere. He had a little 4 or 5 game spell looking good after that but then went quiet again. Granted injuries haven't helped since but he's not really lit up the league this far for the price tag paid.

Surprises

Nailed Sheffield United to a tee. And what a surprise they have been. You could see last season from games in the Championship they had the right mentality and team spirit to get them results and I actually think they have the best team spirit in the whole league. The whole club from head to toe is united and they would die for eachother. Been an absolute blast with them and great for the PL to have a 'proper' club back up there. Bramall Lane has a great atmosphere.

Che Adams was by far my worst prediction. Not one goal for Southampton although it hasn't helped they don't give him hardly any minutes. He just couldn't get that first goal and with Danny Ings delivering and Shane Long finding some form, its been a learning curve for Adams.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator
On 20/07/2019 at 20:00, Stan said:

For Leicester:

Greats:
Jamie Vardy - 
A perennial achiever and star player for us. Can't see this season being any different. Only needs 20 more Premier League goals to reach 100 which is phenomenal considering he's only been in the Premier League for 4 seasons. If he doesn't get it this season, next season for sure (if injuries are avoided). We struggled at times whenever he's not playing which just emphasises his importance to the team. Having Tielemans and Perez as well as Maddison now in our midfield should help his cause.

Flops:
Wes Morgan - I feel really bad for saying this but perhaps this is the season where we'll realise (if it hasn't been realised before) that his time at this level is ending. At the start of last season it was probably seen as well given he got 2 red cards in as many games I think but he did improve and it was like it was back to his usual self. This season though will just become more difficult to probably even get in to the side ahead of Maguire, Benkovic, Evans (who was superb last season and exceeded expectations), and perhaps Soyuncu.

Leftfield Surprises:
James Justin - Signed from Luton for approx £7.5m which is hefty for a League One player but could go one of 2 ways - could turn out to be a bargain over the next few years or could turn out to be a flop and in the above section in a few seasons time. But having seen what he's capable of at some points last season and hearing reviews from Luton fans who would have watched him continually, as well as seeing him today in a friendly, he seems like a very able back-up to Ricardo Pereira at RB. Gives us a lot of versatility as well as if Pereira needs to play higher up the pitch, we have a player who hopefully can slot in fairly comfortably in his place.

Will do picks for the rest of Premier League later.

Great:
Vardy got his PL goals. Ended up as a Golden Boot winner. Perfect.

Flops:
I apologise for my disrespect towards our great captain and leader. He came in when Soyuncu got suspended and performed well. Slotted straight in and couldn't really fault him for any goals conceded. Performed as any 36-year old would in the PL. 

Leftfield Surprise:
Pleasantly surprised with Justin and how he's adapted with very little experience in difficult circumstances. Not pleasant as to why he had to play regularly (Ricardo injury). The best thing is that he's shown he's versatile, and comfortable on the ball at that. Seems happy to play at RB/RWB or even CB as shown today. Reads the game very well and still room for improvement.  He had made some appearances earlier in the season but only from the bench in the league.

• This topic was locked and unpinned

Archived