talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2019/20 Sack race

• Administrator

The Chelsea legend is priced at 6/1, just ahead of new Brighton boss Graham Potter (7/1) and Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder (10/1).

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/chelsea-frank-lampard-news-sacked-odds-latest-premier-league-epl-a8988451.html

I personally do not think any of the three of them will be the first to be sacked. I think Lampard will survive until 2020 at least. I'm going with Pellegrini at West Ham and Dean Smith at Villa. Pre-season whilst counts for little often, it can be an interesting showcase of what's to come and defensively West Ham have been utter guff. Ogbonna in particular looks a shadow of the player he was, which to be fair wasn't always that convincing anyway. Dean Smith, I just don't feel he's got the guile or tactical nous for this level of football. The squad looks average at best and whilst it should be more than able to avoid relegation, I think a club of the stature of Aston Villa (former European Cup winners lest we forget) are entitled to believe they should be punching a little higher. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I agree Dean Smith. I don't think they'll be that patient with him especially after spending this much and I'm not sure they're going to get the results to back it up.

Only one red hot favourite in my eyes. Steve Bruce.

1x1.jpg.970db801b48601aa76bd026b3d4765a2.jpg

Everything about the way Newcastle's summer has unfolded is negative.

Letting Benitez move on, losing the goals of Perez and Rondon, and then bringing in Steve Bruce which has proved hugely unpopular amongst the fanbase where supporter unrest was already at fever pitch over seeing Benitez go and a supposed takeover not come to fruition. It is all negative.

Bruce is almost doomed from the start really for me.

And the fixtures for Newcastle are not kind IMO. I can see them picking up possibly two victories and a couple draws before we get to November, which will be around 10 games in. They will be up against it.

And if they don't have a good start to November, I can see them firmly pushing the panic button. The writing is on the wall for him.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Only one red hot favourite in my eyes. Steve Bruce.

1x1.jpg.970db801b48601aa76bd026b3d4765a2.jpg

Everything about the way Newcastle's summer has unfolded is negative.

Letting Benitez move on, losing the goals of Perez and Rondon, and then bringing in Steve Bruce which has proved hugely unpopular amongst the fanbase where supporter unrest was already at fever pitch over seeing Benitez go and a supposed takeover not come to fruition. It is all negative.

Bruce is almost doomed from the start really for me.

And the fixtures for Newcastle are not kind IMO. I can see them picking up possibly two victories and a couple draws before we get to November, which will be around 10 games in. They will be up against it.

And if they don't have a good start to November, I can see them firmly pushing the panic button. The writing is on the wall for him.

Bruce is a great shout. I just don't think Ashley gives a fuck though. 

• Subscriber

The Watford manager as a cheeky outsider. For all of their hype last season and cringeworthy tweeting from their official club account about being above Marco Silva in the league table, they finished in the bottom half with 2 wins in their last 9. Yes they got to the FA Cup final but lost by the heaviest margin in 100 years. 

Their opening fixtures aren't horrendous, so if they get a dodgy start, you can see the owners starting to ask questions.

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The Watford manager as a cheeky outsider. For all of their hype last season and cringeworthy tweeting from their official club account about being above Marco Silva in the league table, they finished in the bottom half with 2 wins in their last 9. Yes they got to the FA Cup final but lost by the heaviest margin in 100 years. 

Their opening fixtures aren't horrendous, so if they get a dodgy start, you can see the owners starting to ask questions.

Good shout. I too wondered whether he could be worth a punt. 

• The topic was pinned
  • Subscriber

I can only see Bruce getting the chop if Ashley can sell the club to a middle east millionaire and Newcastle are struggling, I dislike Ashley but I would not like Newcastle to go down as they do have a lot of loyal fans, Raffa will be a hard act to follow and I don't think Bruce will win over all the fans the way Raffa did.

Steve Bruce will be gone by October easily, his appoinment certainly did not go down well with Newcastle fans, the club have lost arguably their best player and they have so far failed to sign anybody of note. I doubt Steve will have any funds to play with either, we all know Mike Ashley likes to keep his pennies in his pocket. 

On 20/07/2019 at 21:02, Dan said:

I agree Dean Smith. I don't think they'll be that patient with him especially after spending this much and I'm not sure they're going to get the results to back it up.

I disagree, I think we will be very patient with him, the new owners (so far) seemingly want to bring stability to the football club and they see Dean as the man to take us forward. They would'nt of trusted him to spend so much otherwise. Of course, if we are in the relagation zone and look like we have no chance of surviving he will be gone...just like any other manager in that position. Although, I strongly belive by Christmas Villa will be at least 8 points clear of the relagation zone which will give us a positive foundation to kick on in 2020. 

• Subscriber

Watford and Bournemouth start well and finish badly every year. Both of them put themselves in the relegation discussion with a dire end of season run before making everyone look silly by being about 5th or 6th in October.

So now I've said that this is the year they both go.

Don’t think Farke or Wilder will get sacked next year no matter the result, think both clubs are happy to yo yo and take the financial stability provided by tv money while retaining their core. Would also lump Dyche in this group. 

Hasenhussle (horrible attempt) I think is worth a shout, I think they’re going to be down there fighting. 

Bruce yep it’s going to struggle although I think they’re going to get the odd result. 

Garcia @ Watford, that FA cup final was abysmal I think they’re in a dog fight next year. 

OGS @ United, they’re going to struggle again Woodward is the problem at that club, transfer policy is abysmal and ineffective and OGS will join the list of managers shafted post Fergie. 

I don’t see Smith getting sacked unless we’re going to go on a silly run of 7-8 defeats on the bounce and are bottom in December.  I think aside from the top 4 sides there’s a lot of shite in this league. I’m quite confident that Villa will mix it a bit next year, we have a consistent system and style of play that players have specifically been recruited for, giving us strength in depth now aside from a GK who will be the next arrival. 

Emery, is worth a shout Arsenal are in managed decline and think they will be 6-7th next year. 

Lampard too soon,  too raw, too big a job will fall on his face

Wroy @ Palace could be in for a tough ride, they’ve just got rid of all their good players 

Untouchable Klopp, Pep, Santo @ Wolves, Rodgers, Silva & Potch. 

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Dan said:

Agree with a lot of those but would disagree that Silva is untouchable.

Yeah not to the same extent as the others.

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Aye, another bad run of results like they had around Christmas last season and they'll all want him out again

It's a good job our fans don't make the decisions then.

4 hours ago, Cicero said:

Nah he won’t get sacked unless we finish lower than 10th id imagine. Top 4 would be overachieving. Realistically 7-5th 

If Chelsea finished 7th that would be well underachieving with the players at Lampards disposal. Hed deserve the sack if that happened. 

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

If Chelsea finished 7th that would be well underachieving with the players at Lampards disposal. Hed deserve the sack if that happened. 

No prolific goal scorer. Two 32 year old wingers. Two unproven young winners. Reuben Loftus-Cheek out till the new year. Best player in preseason being fucking Barkley, who is notoriously known for his inconsistency. A very leaky defence. 

Add to that, we only finished 6 points off of 6th. We’ve lost Hazard, with everyone in the top 6 strengthening, and even Everton, Wolves + Leicester strengthening. 

So yeah, 7th-5th is the achievable target. 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

No prolific goal scorer. Two 32 year old wingers. Two unproven young winners. Reuben Loftus-Cheek out till the new year. Best player in preseason being fucking Barkley, who is notoriously known for his inconsistency. A very leaky defence. 

Add to that, we only finished 6 points off of 6th. We’ve lost Hazard, with everyone in the top 6 strengthening, and even Everton, Wolves + Leicester strengthening. 

So yeah, 7th-5th is the achievable target. 

How the mighty have fallen. 

Just now, LFCMike said:

Nah, Chelsea should still be getting 6th bare minimum. Anything lower should be considered unacceptable from their point of view

Think you’re underestimating Leicester, Wolves, and Everton and overestimating players that were mainly carried by Hazard. 

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Think you’re underestimating Leicester, Wolves, and Everton and overestimating players that were mainly carried by Hazard. 

No I'm sorry but if Chelsea finish below Everton, Wolves or Leicester then it has to be considered a failure. 

Unless of course players like Kante and your favorite Jorginho really aren't all that?

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

No I'm sorry but if Chelsea finish below Everton, Wolves or Leicester then it has to be considered a failure. 

Well We’d be 8th then so I’d agree with you. :)

Would still take something catastrophic for Lampard to be sacked however. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Well We’d be 8th then so I’d agree with you. :)

Would still take something catastrophic for Lampard to be sacked however. 

Really? Chelsea are the best in the world at sacking managers, regardless of how good/bad they have performed. Christ, even one of the most iconic managers of the modern era got sacked after winning the double xD

I dont think Roman will give two fucks whether its Lampard or not. Chelsea finish 7th and hes gone. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived