• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2019/20 Sack race

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
On 20/07/2019 at 20:51, Batard said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/chelsea-frank-lampard-news-sacked-odds-latest-premier-league-epl-a8988451.html

I personally do not think any of the three of them will be the first to be sacked. I think Lampard will survive until 2020 at least. I'm going with Pellegrini at West Ham and Dean Smith at Villa. Pre-season whilst counts for little often, it can be an interesting showcase of what's to come and defensively West Ham have been utter guff. Ogbonna in particular looks a shadow of the player he was, which to be fair wasn't always that convincing anyway. Dean Smith, I just don't feel he's got the guile or tactical nous for this level of football. The squad looks average at best and whilst it should be more than able to avoid relegation, I think a club of the stature of Aston Villa (former European Cup winners lest we forget) are entitled to believe they should be punching a little higher. 

I was off with my timing but spot on with Pellegrini in general. It amazes me it took this long for him to get the bullet, West Ham are a shambles. Dean Smith has been found at Premier League level, it's all well and good grumbling about performances but nothing has changed to indicate an improvement or likely improvement ahead. The system isn't working, Wesley isn't going to score them goals, he's weak in front of goal and lacking confidence. The midfield - Grealish aside - is pitiful and the defence wasn't amazing even with Mings in the side, but now it's worse. A change of system and approach is essential. Although I think a change of manager moreso. 

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Dan said:

Dean Smith surely favourite now.

Made up for how well Pearson's started.

I think Pearson is ready made for jobs like Watford, he's a tough cunt, a proper mans man.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Batard said:

I think Pearson is ready made for jobs like Watford, he's a tough cunt, a proper mans man.

Pearson's good at getting teams back to basics. Reputation will be improving no end from this but it's just a start. I actually think they'll do this. Very good at creating a feel good factor around the club - in-particular with his players.

When they appointed him there was a comment from a journalist (Northcroft I think) that he'd spoken to a few of our players about Pearson when Watford appointed him and there's still a feeling, despite him being away from here four and a half years now that he truly was what got the ball rolling for this era we're having. Considering what we've done since him it's quite a compliment that he's still highly regarded in that way. Watford might just be that right club for him after all.

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

I guess Hassenhuttl can be taken out of the equation... 

Their form since the 9-0 drubbing is top 6 standard. Not many have won more than them (think only maybe us, Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea?) 

• Subscriber

I thought they were brilliant away here. We couldn't deal with them at all. You would never have believed what had happened earlier in the season if you watched that.

7 hours ago, Dan said:

I thought they were brilliant away here. We couldn't deal with them at all. You would never have believed what had happened earlier in the season if you watched that.

Gave us a game at Anfield too. They were excellent first half. Liverpool were brilliant second half though and blew them away once we got the first.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
4 hours ago, Stan said:

Us. 

Screenshot_20200706_080822_com.android.chrome_1.jpg

To be honest, after I posted it, I did think that game was actually very early into our 8 game run so it would probably be us. It is quite close though and you have to give Southampton big credit for how they not only stuck with him, but how they've bounced back too - don't forget they were well in this relegation picture at one point and they're basically safe now. Big credit to Hasenhuttl too. They are an under-resourced team, and it's actually quite sad what's happened to them in the last 3/4 years. I always found them a really well run club, I was massively envious of them at one point, but they seem to have just pocketed the profits from their previous work and let things rot a bit. I'd imagine they will probably drop in the next 3 or so years as Hasenhuttl moves upwards.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived